Phillies scouting Jenks and Putz

shipps

I'm personally getting tired of the overrated D issues as well from people. Sure he struggled with plays at times when he was here, no OF is perfect, but Rowand was a very good defensive center fielder for us when he was here. I still remember the clinic he put on at Yankee stadium.

He was a starter on a World Series team and still better than most of the stiffs on this current team. But hey, he's another guy many buried when until this year's version of Rios he would have been way better than anybody else we've put out there. But like I said, Sox fans on here devalue their own. He made, what, 2 mill that year as well? Keep telling yourself he sucked.

s***, who on that 05 team do we think was any good?

Reading this summary of game one of the WS and laughing at what many fans think of these sox players who were heroes right now. Cub fans consider those chokers who choked in 69 legends. Many Sox fans ridicule the names of the guys who starred in 05.

Playing in their first World Series home game since 1959, the White Sox took an early lead with a home run from Jermaine Dye in the first inning. The Sox scored two more in the second when Juan Uribe doubled in A.J. Pierzynski after Carl Everett had already scored on a ground-out earlier in the inning. The Astros responded again in the next inning when Lance Berkman hit a double, driving in Adam Everett and Craig Biggio. In the White Sox half of the fourth, Joe Crede hit what turned out to be the game-winning home run. In the bottom of the eighth, Scott Podsednik hit a triple with Pierzynski on second. Roger Clemens recorded his shortest World Series start, leaving after the second inning with 53 pitches including 35 for strikes, due to a sore hamstring that he had previously injured (and caused him to miss his last regular season start) as the loss went to Wandy Rodríguez. José Contreras pitched seven innings, allowing three runs on six hits for the win. Before exiting, Contreras allowed a leadoff double by Willie Taveras with no outs. Neal Cotts entered the game in the top of the eighth inning. It marked the first time in five games that the White Sox had gone to their bullpen. Cotts pitched +2⁄3 innings before Bobby Jenks was called upon by manager Ozzie Guillén to relieve him. Ozzie signaled for the large pitcher by holding his arms out wide and then up tall. In the post game conference Ozzie joked about the signal by saying he wanted to be clear he was asking for "The Big Boy". Bobby Jenks returned in the ninth to earn the save to give the White Sox a 1–0 lead in the series.

[edit]

Edited by greg775

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 24, 2010 -> 03:51 PM)
He was a starter on a World Series team and still better than most of the stiffs on this current team. But hey, he's another guy many buried when until this year's version of Rios he would have been way better than anybody else we've put out there.

Carl Everett was a starter on a World Series team as well. What's your point?

Rowand was a really solid defensive CF who had a couple nice seasons at the plate. From what I've heard, he was also a good clubhouse guy. But he never figured out how to hit the ball consistently, and hasn't posted a .750 OPS since Sabean stupidly gave him $60M. I like Rowand on a personal level and appreciate what he did for the Sox, but I'm still happy as hell that Kenny traded him for Thome, and then acquired a much more talented and accomplished CF four years later.

My point AGAIN was Sox fans, at least on here, undervalue their own. Somebody respond to my point made in the long summary above from Game One of the WS. Which players on there do you consider great former Sox? There's no love from some of you for guys who gave you a WS ... and in contrast, f***ing Cub fans worship those chokers from '69 who finished about 10 games out after blowing the big lead to the Mets. Jenkins, Banks, Williams, Santo, Kessinger ... oh they are immortal by Flub fans.

From some Sox fans on here, all ll I read is b****ing about Rowand, Dye, Garland, Crede, Pods, Uribe, et. all. They were very good players. Deal with it.

If Pods hit a walkoff WS homer for the Cubs, he'd be worshiped in this city forever.

He's mocked on here for getting picked off a few times last year. My god.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (WCSox @ May 24, 2010 -> 11:35 PM)

Rowand was a really solid defensive CF who had a couple nice seasons at the plate. From what I've heard, he was also a good clubhouse guy. But he never figured out how to hit the ball consistently, and hasn't posted a .750 OPS since Sabean stupidly gave him $60M. I like Rowand on a personal level and appreciate what he did for the Sox, but I'm still happy as hell that Kenny traded him for Thome, and then acquired a much more talented and accomplished CF four years later.

And I can't be the only one who is pretty sure he was a roider.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 25, 2010 -> 12:51 AM)
My point AGAIN was Sox fans, at least on here, undervalue their own. Somebody respond to my point made in the long summary above from Game One of the WS. Which players on there do you consider great former Sox? There's no love from some of you for guys who gave you a WS ... and in contrast, f***ing Cub fans worship those chokers from '69 who finished about 10 games out after blowing the big lead to the Mets. Jenkins, Banks, Williams, Santo, Kessinger ... oh they are immortal by Flub fans.

From some Sox fans on here, all ll I read is b****ing about Rowand, Dye, Garland, Crede, Pods, Uribe, et. all. They were very good players. Deal with it.

If Pods hit a walkoff WS homer for the Cubs, he'd be worshiped in this city forever.

I think you hit the nail on the head.... Sox fans "on here" see the 2005 as a team that jelled together, got the timely hits and pitching to win the World Series. The team really wasn't full of All-Stars, but more of players who nearly ALL played above their career averages in one hell of a season. However, if you talk to the "casual" Sox fans who don't visit this board, I almost guarantee you that they still think Pods, Rowand, Crede, etc are gods.

As for the Jenkins/Banks/Williams love....come on dude, they're Hall of Famers; they deserve to be cherished by Cubs fans. I'm pretty sure everyone will agree that no one from the 2005 Sox team really has a chance to be a Hall of Famer.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 25, 2010 -> 12:51 AM)

You act like people forgot that Pods hit a walkoff WS homer. Everyone on this board will remember him for that and be grateful for it forever. However, that was 5 years ago, and we want the Sox to get back to that postion today. If he isn't the best player to take them there right now, then people are gonna say that. His baserunning cost the Sox a few games last year, so people have the right to b**** about him. It doesn't change their memories of 2005. Banks, Williams, & Jenkins are hall of famers, I don't know how you can compare Rowand & Crede & Pods to them either.

If the Hawks pull out this series, it won't change the fact Brent Sopel is awful at hockey. I'd be glad he helped win the Cup, but I can still comment on his play. Cliff Levingston, Bobby Hansen, Randy Brown, etc, weren't great basketball players at all, why should I act like they were because they helped the Bulls win NBA titles.

QUOTE (smalls2598 @ May 25, 2010 -> 07:35 AM)
I think you hit the nail on the head.... Sox fans "on here" see the 2005 as a team that jelled together, got the timely hits and pitching to win the World Series. The team really wasn't full of All-Stars, but more of players who nearly ALL played above their career averages in one hell of a season. However, if you talk to the "casual" Sox fans who don't visit this board, I almost guarantee you that they still think Pods, Rowand, Crede, etc are gods.

As for the Jenkins/Banks/Williams love....come on dude, they're Hall of Famers; they deserve to be cherished by Cubs fans. I'm pretty sure everyone will agree that no one from the 2005 Sox team really has a chance to be a Hall of Famer.

Well, Frank and possibly Buehrle, but I know what you're saying.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 25, 2010 -> 07:54 AM)
You act like people forgot that Pods hit a walkoff WS homer. Everyone on this board will remember him for that and be grateful for it forever. However, that was 5 years ago, and we want the Sox to get back to that postion today. If he isn't the best player to take them there right now, then people are gonna say that. His baserunning cost the Sox a few games last year, so people have the right to b**** about him. It doesn't change their memories of 2005. Banks, Williams, & Jenkins are hall of famers, I don't know how you can compare Rowand & Crede & Pods to them either.

If the Hawks pull out this series, it won't change the fact Brent Sopel is awful at hockey. I'd be glad he helped win the Cup, but I can still comment on his play. Cliff Levingston, Bobby Hansen, Randy Brown, etc, weren't great basketball players at all, why should I act like they were because they helped the Bulls win NBA titles.

It's not worth it. All the logic in the world wouldn't change his mind.

Frank is a first ballot HOF.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 25, 2010 -> 08:12 AM)
Frank is a first ballot HOF.

......and he was injured during the second half of the season and for the entire playoffs. You can count Frank if you want, but he didn't have any impact on that postseason or on the White Sox winning the 2005 World Series. But yes, Frank is a first ballot HOF'er for me too.

QUOTE (hawksox13 @ May 25, 2010 -> 08:16 AM)
......and he was injured during the second half of the season and for the entire playoffs. You can count Frank if you want, but he didn't have any impact on that postseason or on the White Sox winning the 2005 World Series. But yes, Frank is a first ballot HOF'er for me too.

Every player on that 2005 team did something to help win that ring. So while Frank didn't have an on field impact during the postseason, he did have an impact on winning the division which led to winning the World Series.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 25, 2010 -> 12:54 AM)
greg, you are indeed my favorite poster. I don't agree with about 87.8% of your opinions. But you speak from the heart. Me likes.

You took some time to do some math I see. ;)

QUOTE (SoxPride56 @ May 25, 2010 -> 08:22 AM)
Every player on that 2005 team did something to help win that ring. So while Frank didn't have an on field impact during the postseason, he did have an impact on winning the division which led to winning the World Series.

What's really amazing is that almost every player on the playoff roster did something pretty big at some point in the playoffs. The only guy that I can't recall doing anything in the postseason was Timo.

I disagree. I think that Mark has a chance.

QUOTE (SoxPride56 @ May 25, 2010 -> 08:22 AM)

I'm as big of a Frank Thomas fan as they come, but Frank's .219 batting average, .315 on base percentage, 34 games played, 19 runs scored, and 23 overall hits in 2005 had very little to do with the White Sox winning the World Series. I think he did actually hit a walk off home run against the Twins early in that season if I remember correctly, so I guess you can count him for winning 1/99 of the regular season games in 2005.

QUOTE (hawksox13 @ May 25, 2010 -> 11:46 AM)
I'm as big of a Frank Thomas fan as they come, but Frank's .219 batting average, .315 on base percentage, 34 games played, 19 runs scored, and 23 overall hits in 2005 had very little to do with the White Sox winning the World Series. I think he did actually hit a walk off home run against the Twins early in that season if I remember correctly, so I guess you can count him for winning 1/99 of the regular season games in 2005.

uh...12 homers and 26 RBIs in 34 games. They were 24-10 in games he played in. Yeah, he was actually huge when he played.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 25, 2010 -> 02:33 PM)
What's really amazing is that almost every player on the playoff roster did something pretty big at some point in the playoffs. The only guy that I can't recall doing anything in the postseason was Timo.

Timo and Dustin Hermanson. Besides those two, everyone contributed.

QUOTE (docsox24 @ May 25, 2010 -> 09:39 AM)
I disagree. I think that Mark has a chance.

He has to do some spectacular things at some point in his career. Individually he hasn't had any amazing stand out seasons. He's never won 20 games. He's never placed higher than 5th in a Cy Young voting. He's never had an era of less than 3.12. It could still happen, but at this point, I would have to say he isn't even close to a HOF guy.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 25, 2010 -> 11:10 AM)
Timo and Dustin Hermanson. Besides those two, everyone contributed.

Hermanson did contribute. He gave up the game-tying double in the 8th inning of WS Game 3. If he didn't do that, then Blum would have never hit his GW 14th inning homer, Widger would never get an RBI with the bases-loaded walk, & Marte wouldn't have gotten the win in that game. Hermanson blew a lead, just to allow 3 other players to contribute in that game, who otherwise really did nothing in the playoffs.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 25, 2010 -> 04:34 PM)
Hermanson did contribute. He gave up the game-tying double in the 8th inning of WS Game 3. If he didn't do that, then Blum would have never hit his GW 14th inning homer, Widger would never get an RBI with the bases-loaded walk, & Marte wouldn't have gotten the win in that game. Hermanson blew a lead, just to allow 3 other players to contribute in that game, who otherwise really did nothing in the playoffs.

Haha, fantastic post. I don't think I've ever been as angry in my life as when Hermanson was brought in instead of Jenks in Game 3.