AND THAT'S A WHITE SOX WINNER!!!

justBLAZE

QUOTE (Kalapse @ May 28, 2010 -> 09:07 PM)
Perhaps, if Matt Thornton had Jenks' track record of allowing the go ahead run to reach base in nearly every one of his high leverage outings, a hit by Longoria may have meant the beginning of a rally but it was just a good piece of hitting by one of the greats of the game and the most shut-down reliever in the AL last season (sans the big 4 closers) nailed it down.

Exactly.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Kalapse @ May 28, 2010 -> 07:02 PM)
I never said he can't close, he probably could. It's the Carlos Marmol theory: the biggest out of the game aren't always in the 9th inning and Thornton being one of the most dominant relievers in the game needs to be in the game to get those most paramount outs. Basically: you can't save your best reliever for the 9th when he's needed earlier in the game to make sure you still have the lead come the 9th.

Pretty much. Having Thornton available against those though lefties late in the game is a major plus as well.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ May 28, 2010 -> 09:21 PM)
Sox say Jenks tweaked calf in BP and wasn't available - Mark Gonzales

Controversy solved!

I retract my previous comments regarding Joey Cora's handling of the pitchers in today's game.

QUOTE (whtsoxfan @ May 28, 2010 -> 09:27 PM)
Agreed, Cora made the right moves with the bullpen...

Not really what I was getting at. Rather than brilliant strategy it turns out that he was forced into those moves and I was unaware of this fact when I so richly praised him during and after the game. If Jenks had been available he likely would have pitched the 9th which would have been a tremendous disappointment.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ May 28, 2010 -> 09:30 PM)
Not really what I was getting at. Rather than brilliant strategy it turns out that he was forced into those moves and I was unaware of this fact when I so richly praised him during and after the game. If Jenks had been available he likely would have pitched the 9th which would have been a tremendous disappointment.

Ditto. I will as well.

I love when we beat good teams and look like a good team.

Beckham! Cmon, keep breaking out of that slump. Nice job.

Rios is a god. All of you who stuck by him last year deserve credit for loyalty and knowing what you are talking about.

Freddy! All you can say and great job by the relievers.

Can we win again and make it a good road trip?

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 28, 2010 -> 10:41 PM)

Rios is a god. All of you who stuck by him last year deserve credit for loyalty and knowing what you are talking about.

Thanks.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 28, 2010 -> 10:41 PM)

Guys (generally) don't go from All-Star caliber players to garbage in a year. It wasn't that much of a stretch to think he'd be a good player for the Sox, considering that's really all he's ever been.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 28, 2010 -> 11:16 PM)
Guys (generally) don't go from All-Star caliber players to garbage in a year. It wasn't that much of a stretch to think he'd be a good player for the Sox, considering that's really all he's ever been.

Yet how many people were selling him down the river?