Beckham needs to be sent down

WhiteSoxfan1986

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Jun 23, 2010 -> 01:57 PM)
hello brian anderson, joe borchard, josh fields.

Indeed, Beckham is the same as those players. Also, at 9 1/2 games out, the Sox will not get back into the division race this year. They will never make it to .500.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (since56 @ Jun 23, 2010 -> 10:41 PM)
This kid is killing us. Two balls off his glove tonight, a strike out, a tapper back to the mound, and a swing and a miss on a hit and run. Back under the Mendoza line for his batting average? I've said it before the big leagues are not a training ground. This kid is over matched. The league figured him out the last month of last season. We need him on the bench or in AA! All you defenders must have some kind of crush on him. Be realistic. We have a chance to win this division, this is not the time to develope potential, but play your best nine. He is not ( at least right now ) one of them.

I'll take Beckham at second with Vizquel at third over Teahen playing third and Becks on the bench any day of the week. Put more simply, i'd much rather have Beckham in their than Teahen. Teahen is a proven utility player nothing more than that. He is BRUTAL at 3rd base defensively and below average offensively. This team started turning it around as soon as Teahen went down. In fact, Teahen's best offensive season of his career is maybe as good as Beckham's rookie season, and definitely not better.

Fact is, a week ago we all thought the same thing about Quentin and look where he is right now. 95% of this board wanted Quentin gone. Give Beckham a little while more, because all it takes is a real hot week and he will be back into it. We're winning w/ a struggling Beckham, and the upside is a lot higher if Beckham starts playing like he can, versus a standard .250 12hr season out of Mark Teahen.

QUOTE (Special K @ Jun 23, 2010 -> 09:10 PM)
Fact is, a week ago we all thought the same thing about Quentin and look where he is right now.

Except for the fact that Quentin is significantly older than Beckham, he has a lot more major-league experience than Beckham, and was nearly the league MVP two years ago. Even when Quentin was struggling, he was still managing extra-base hits. Beckham has a freaking .254 SLG right now.

95% of this board wanted Quentin gone.

No, they didn't.

Give Beckham a little while more, because all it takes is a real hot week and he will be back into it. We're winning w/ a struggling Beckham, and the upside is a lot higher if Beckham starts playing like he can, versus a standard .250 12hr season out of Mark Teahen.

Maybe Beckham will start hitting the ball soon, and maybe he won't. But using Quentin as evidence that Beckham will suddenly morph back into July 2009 form doesn't make any sense.

I'd much rather have Teahen in the lineup right now than Beckham, even if that means DHing him to let Vizquel and Viciedo play 3B. Beckham is 2007 Andy Gonzalez-bad and needs to go down to Charlotte to find his swing.

Edited by WCSox

Give Beckham until Teahans return. Then if still the same send him down and play Viciedo at third with Vizquel at second. If Viciedo is a bust too then put Teahan back at third. Viciedo can't be any worse than Beckham has been. Beckham is beginning to get in the way of others.

Beckham looks completely lost out there right now. It even seems like it's getting to the point where he's defeated. Of course I would probably feel defeated too if I kept rotating 0 hit game, 1 hit game, 0 hit game, 1 hit game. He just can't get it together. And I'm not even all that satisfied with his defense. It seems that there are a lot of plays that he just doesn't make. That ball that slips just past him into right field early in yesterday's game. At least dive and keep that in the infield. Then the blooper into right field. Sorry, but a good second baseman goes out and makes that play. And then that line shot to right field that went just over his glove.

For me he isn't getting it done offensively or defensively. If you want to be that personality always doing interviews and always on the radio you better make sure you aren't hitting .201 for the season. 1 homer through 70 games? 12 RBI's through 70 games? That's awful. There has to be a better option for 2B somewhere. Send him down, let him get it together, if he starts performing bring him up in a month.

QUOTE (hawksox13 @ Jun 24, 2010 -> 08:40 AM)
Beckham looks completely lost out there right now. It even seems like it's getting to the point where he's defeated. Of course I would probably feel defeated too if I kept rotating 0 hit game, 1 hit game, 0 hit game, 1 hit game. He just can't get it together. And I'm not even all that satisfied with his defense. It seems that there are a lot of plays that he just doesn't make. That ball that slips just past him into right field early in yesterday's game. At least dive and keep that in the infield. Then the blooper into right field. Sorry, but a good second baseman goes out and makes that play. And then that line shot to right field that went just over his glove.

For me he isn't getting it done offensively or defensively. If you want to be that personality always doing interviews and always on the radio you better make sure you aren't hitting .201 for the season. 1 homer through 70 games? 12 RBI's through 70 games? That's awful. There has to be a better option for 2B somewhere. Send him down, let him get it together, if he starts performing bring him up in a month.

To be fair he is typically very solid in the field. Yesterday was just one of those days.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jun 24, 2010 -> 08:41 AM)
To be fair he is typically very solid in the field. Yesterday was just one of those days.

I was there last night and he looked...defeated...walking out on to the field, hanging his head each time he went out and not looking up until Alexei/Omar/Paulie wanted to do some catch.

Two weeks ago, I was all for keepng him in the majors, as we were seemingly out of the race, so just let our future potential stars work it out up here. Now that we are only 3.5 back, I think he needs be sent down, cause benching him does him no good, and he is hurting the team right now. Omar Vizquel is out-slugging him for God's sake.

I think he'd already be in the minors had Teahen not got injured. I still think he needs to be sent down though. As some have mentioned, he needs to be sent down even more now that we're in the actual race because he's really hurting the team. But even beyond that, it's obvious his confidence is shot, and I'm not sure he can get it back without a trip down to find his swing. I think every day further he's up here struggling will make it harder for him to turn it around, which means keeping him here not only hurts our present, but could also hurt our future.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 24, 2010 -> 10:13 AM)
I was there last night and he looked...defeated...walking out on to the field, hanging his head each time he went out and not looking up until Alexei/Omar/Paulie wanted to do some catch.

I'm glad we're willing to f*** with the psyche of our best prospect in 20 years by letting him continually fail, and fail, and fail at the major league level.. *sigh*

QUOTE (TitoMB @ Jun 24, 2010 -> 09:54 AM)
Beckham f***ing sucks right now. He has to be one of the worst starters in the league. When the hell is he going to figure it out?

Kalapse would know better than I, but i believe he has the worst OPS and/or slugging percentage in baseball among those with enough at bats to qualify.

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ Jun 24, 2010 -> 10:52 AM)
Kotsay in the 3 hole. Such a pathetic lineup, but we will probably score 10 runs today :-P

As we all know Ozzie just isn't a fan of sweeping teams. Kotsay hitting third? If Rios has to have his third day off in a week at least get Carlos in the three hole for the day.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jun 24, 2010 -> 10:15 AM)
He's probably tired.

3 days off in less than a week is necessary.

He's played 161, 155 and 149 games before only playing 108 games last year. He isn't 35 years old Sqwert. Hell I found it odd Pierre missed a game this year (will probably miss another before it's up) and he is a friggin horse who plays every game. I will say however he is 0-10 against Lowe lifetime, so perhaps that is why he isn't in the line-up.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jun 24, 2010 -> 12:10 PM)
He's played 161, 155 and 149 games before only playing 108 games last year. He isn't 35 years old Sqwert. Hell I found it odd Pierre missed a game this year (will probably miss another before it's up) and he is a friggin horse who plays every game. I will say however he is 0-10 against Lowe lifetime, so perhaps that is why he isn't in the line-up.

Now how do you miss the sarcasm....