Reinsdorf clears the air.

justBLAZE

Some comments made by chairman Jerry Reinsdorf:

Chairman clears the air and says that at no point did KW ask to have Ozzie Guillen fired.

Chairman did say that the two did have an argument, and he did sit down with each separately, telling them to fix it.

Reinsdorf said KW has power to fire manager but that isn't in his plans. Said as bad as it was for LaRussa to be fired (1986), GM must have power.

"As far as I know they are back to normal"

Asked if this team has money to add, Chariman said: "Yes. I also think this team might be good enough as it is."

Source: MGonzales, cst_sox

Full article here: http://trib.in/deADtQ

SunTimes - http://bit.ly/cOdlg3

Discuss?

Edited by justBLAZE

Too bad we don't have anything to trade. Flowers is a first baseman (by most accounts) stuck at catcher. Danks is awful offensively. Dayan's splits are suspect. Mitchell is injured. Hudson is the only one with trade value that could help (and help being the operative word) net a solid bat.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 19, 2010 -> 07:18 PM)
Too bad we don't have anything to trade. Flowers is a first baseman (by most accounts) stuck at catcher. Danks is awful offensively. Dayan's splits are suspect. Mitchell is injured. Hudson is the only one with trade value that could help (and help being the operative word) net a solid bat.

You could trade Beckham.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 19, 2010 -> 06:18 PM)

By whose account is that, everything that has been reported about him since coming over here is how his defense has improved and I think I remember him winning an award for his defense last year as well.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jun 19, 2010 -> 07:24 PM)
By whose account is that, everything that has been reported about him since coming over here is how his defense has improved and I think I remember him winning an award for his defense last year as well.

Yes, he won the defensive award for catching in the AA league last year. That doesn't, though, mean that everyone is 100% convinced he'll stick at catcher.

Plus, there's a lot of parts to being a catcher. Not making errors, blocking balls in the dirt, throwing, calling a game. be terrible at just one of those and you might well not stick at catcher even if you win awards at the rest.

Personally...I think he either winds up at catcher or in AAA.

Sign Dye and put him in the minors, can't hurt.

And there goes the assumption that JR is holding Ozzie's nuts. He made it public that KW definately has the power to fire Oz, said he was pissed about Oney's accusations about the organization, absolved KW of any blame with the draft selection of Ozney, and that he never bared KW from road trips. Basically he took Kenny's side on everything. This is really going to piss Ibis off. haha

QUOTE (jamesdiego @ Jun 19, 2010 -> 06:40 PM)
Sign Dye and put him in the minors, can't hurt.

And there goes the assumption that JR is holding Ozzie's nuts. He made it public that KW definately has the power to fire Oz, said he was pissed about Oney's accusations about the organization, absolved KW of any blame with the draft selection of Ozney, and that he never bared KW from road trips. Basically he took Kenny's side on everything. This is really going to piss Ibis off. haha

Dye refused Washingtons offer of a major league contract at a prorated three million dollars. There is zero chance this actually happens.

QUOTE (jamesdiego @ Jun 19, 2010 -> 08:23 PM)
Didn't he say something about not wanting to go to a crappy team, just so they could use him for trade bait? He couldn't possibly demand to go straight to the big league team with how much time off he's had.

The Nationals on May 31st were a 26-26 team with Strasburg on the way and a 3.5 game deficit in the NL east. They've gone 5-11 since then while the Braves have been hot. The Nats were more in the race than the Sox were until this week.

Mark Salas (our bullpen catcher) is out for the Nationals series, because of his kid's graduation.

John Orton (catching coach in the minors) cared the spell some info on Flowers defensive abilities:

"Defensively, we are real happy with what he's doing. He's definitely a Major League catcher. He has good hands, he blocks. He throws good enough. He's smart. He has a great personality. He's able to handle different pitchers. That's one thing I really like about him. He makes visits at the right time. He has a good feel."

Rest here.

Edited by justBLAZE

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 19, 2010 -> 07:27 PM)
The Nationals on May 31st were a 26-26 team with Strasburg on the way and a 3.5 game deficit in the NL east. They've gone 5-11 since then while the Braves have been hot. The Nats were more in the race than the Sox were until this week.

Dye rejected their offer on April 12, I'm sure he thought they'd be a bad team then.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Jun 19, 2010 -> 08:47 PM)
Mark Salas (our bullpen catcher) is out for the Nationals series, because of his kid's graduation.

John Orton (catching coach in the minors) cared the spell some info on Flowers defensive abilities:

"Defensively, we are real happy with what he's doing. He's definitely a Major League catcher. He has good hands, he blocks. He throws good enough. He's smart. He has a great personality. He's able to handle different pitchers. That's one thing I really like about him. He makes visits at the right time. He has a good feel."

Rest here.

Here's more from the article.

Thought I'd post it to help put an end to the misinformation floating around about Flowers.

WASHINGTON -- White Sox Minor League catching instructor John Orton will be filling in this weekend for bullpen catcher Mark Salas, who will miss the Nationals series to attend his daughter's college graduation.

Orton's presence also gave him the opportunity to evaluate Tyler Flowers, the club's top backstop prospect and heir apparent to A.J. Pierzynski. A .290 average with five home runs in his Past 10 games has raised Flowers average to .223, but Orton was more focused on Flowers' work behind the plate. In that area, the 24-year-old received good grades from his mentor.

"From day one, he has been a kid who wants to win and asks the right questions," Orton said. "He picks up things real quick. It's always been just a matter of adjustments. The things I've heard about him being more of an offensive player, which he probably will be, but I didn't know much about his defense. It has been outstanding.

"He's starting to look comfortable behind the plate. When you don't have to worry so much about what you are doing, then you can get into the calling the game and handling the pitching staff with all your concentration. He's been good doing that."

When Flowers first arrived, he was classified as a Major League-ready hitter with a significant road to travel defensively. That defense is no longer a worry for Flowers is a greater positive in Orton's mind than the concerns coming from his hitting woes.

"That's a good thing, not that he's struggling offensively," Orton said. "That first [full] year in Triple-A is tough for a lot of guys. You see a lot of guys that have been around pitching-wise and know how to pitch. They find out your holes and so you need to make an adjustment. It takes that learning curve at that level. He's going to be fine offensively.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Jun 19, 2010 -> 03:06 PM)
Full article here: http://trib.in/deADtQ

SunTimes - http://bit.ly/cOdlg3

Discuss?

Jerry Jerry Jerry "good enough as is " ? Maybe to beat up on weak NL teams but we need a hitter , a good one, to compete in the superior league. Every game at this point is important , sure can't depend on winning a lot of games by scoring 3 or less runs.

At least we know Ozzie can be fired, according to this report at least. I hate managers like him, Dusty, Lou, etc who all lean on the vets. This whole Viciedo thing today really bothered me. It isn't just today that bothered me, it is what I see happening in the next few weeks with him and I hope I am wrong. I see him occasionally playing, Vizquel getting alot of the starts at 3B. I agree that Vizquel has been playing well, but play him at 2B instead. Give Beckham some time off. I just hope they don't waste an option on Viciedo and send him right back down after only 12 AB's.

I understand your frustration. Hopefully Oz just wanted to have him sit on the bench a couple days n watch and now it's time to play.

He's got to play five of every seven games to make this worthwhile doesn't he??

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 20, 2010 -> 12:57 AM)
I understand your frustration. Hopefully Oz just wanted to have him sit on the bench a couple days n watch and now it's time to play.

He's got to play five of every seven games to make this worthwhile doesn't he??

Yeah Greg, 5 out 7 seems about right. He needs to be in the lineup and get regular AB's. Give him a real chance to be successful. Playing SUnday and not again til Wednesday and then again til Saturday would be complete bulls*** I feel. Give him 2-3 weeks of regular AB's and see what you have in him. He can play at 3B, 1B or DH, so he clearly has flexibility for Ozzie. If he can't cut it after 3 weeks of regular AB's, send him back down and let him continue to develop.

Yeah Greg, 5 out 7 seems about right. He needs to be in the lineup and get regular AB's. Give him a real chance to be successful. Playing SUnday and not again til Wednesday and then again til Saturday would be complete bulls*** I feel. Give him 2-3 weeks of regular AB's and see what you have in him. He can play at 3B, 1B or DH, so he clearly has flexibility for Ozzie. If he can't cut it after 3 weeks of regular AB's, send him back down and let him continue to develop.

DMBJeff, I posted the same exact feelings in the Viciedo thread. But the thing that I thought was important to hear was that JR has financial flexibility if we get to a winning percentage where a lefty big bat or similar impact type offensive addition can be considered. They will have to do a hard selling job to JR IMO because of his "We have enough to win" statement. But at least he would approve in theory some financial flexibility under the right circumstances. I know everyone will say it is now but not in JR´s mind, yet.

Edited by chisoxfan09

I loved reading Cowley's article where JR debunks all of his stories. " A source told the Sun-Times" he uses a lot when JR says a report isn't true. Its the same Cowley who hoped Soxnet would get new sources for Christmas. Funny how that works out. Joe also failed to mention his "exclusive" report that JR banned KW from roadtrips this year, was also deemed false by JR.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 20, 2010 -> 06:57 AM)
I loved reading Cowley's article where JR debunks all of his stories. " A source told the Sun-Times" he uses a lot when JR says a report isn't true. Its the same Cowley who hoped Soxnet would get new sources for Christmas. Funny how that works out. Joe also failed to mention his "exclusive" report that JR banned KW from roadtrips this year, was also deemed false by JR.

I had to read that article now and it was quite hilarious.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 20, 2010 -> 06:57 AM)

And just like his hero Jay Mariotti, he acts like he never said any of that stupid stuff.

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Jun 20, 2010 -> 04:30 AM)
DMBJeff, I posted the same exact feelings in the Viciedo thread. But the thing that I thought was important to hear was that JR has financial flexibility if we get to a winning percentage where a lefty big bat or similar impact type offensive addition can be considered. They will have to do a hard selling job to JR IMO because of his "We have enough to win" statement. But at least he would approve in theory some financial flexibility under the right circumstances. I know everyone will say it is now but not in JR´s mind, yet.

Yeah you see too many teams do this where they call up a top prospect only to let him sit on the bench most of the time for a week or 2 before sending him back down. It happened to Kila for KC. He got in 4 AB's in his week with the Royals. Was it worth it to burn an option and let him not get regular AB's? Call up some other scrub if he is just going to rot away on the bench or sign some FA to do the job instead of stunting the growth of a high prospect.