This win streak...how much credit goes to Ozzie?

Greg Hibbard

As much as we blame Ozzie for making stupid in-game decisions, I'd like to point out three instances in which his hunches seemed dead-on

* sitting Rios and Konerko on Saturday, which arguably gave them a breather they needed to bang out multiple hits each on sunday. Rios had been 5 for his previous 24 after that 4-4 at Wrigley, and although Konerko had hit in the previous three games, he was on a 5 for 19 cooler with no XBH.

* putting in Putz in the ninth on Sunday

* leaving in Peavy in the ninth proved to be the right call

What others?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Jun 22, 2010 -> 10:19 AM)
As much as we blame Ozzie for making stupid in-game decisions, I'd like to point out three instances in which his hunches seemed dead-on

* sitting Rios and Konerko on Saturday, which arguably gave them a breather they needed to bang out multiple hits each on sunday. Rios had been 5 for his previous 24 after that 4-4 at Wrigley, and although Konerko had hit in the previous three games, he was on a 5 for 19 cooler with no XBH.

What others?

Ozzie gets credit for those? Really?

It was just plain ignorant to sit both Paulie and Alex on the same day when you're already running without a DH. Ozzie gets credit for having Peavy on the bump to bail his sorry ass lineup out after they scored 1 freaking run.

He gets credit for putting a former closer in to close out a game in which his regular close was unavailable?

Peavy was at what, like 90 pitches heading to the 9th...why wouldn't he stay in and, even if he didn't, we've got a pretty good bullpen.

I hate to be an OG hater, but I think he's pretty much had nothing to do with this streak, nor has KW....this is all on the players starting to perform.

QUOTE (mmmmmbeeer @ Jun 22, 2010 -> 10:43 AM)
It was just plain ignorant to sit both Paulie and Alex on the same day when you're already running without a DH.

Guillen has always seemingly maintained the philosophy that occasionally resting players refocuses them. Seems to have worked pretty well this time.

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Jun 22, 2010 -> 10:47 AM)
Guillen has always seemingly maintained the philosophy that occasionally resting players refocuses them. Seems to have worked pretty well this time.

Wouldn't it have been smarter to rest them one at a time instead of both in one game?

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Jun 22, 2010 -> 10:47 AM)

If scoring 1 run against JD Martin is considered as having "worked pretty well", what exactly is not working well?

I mean we got the W, but it had nothing to do Oz's gut being right about resting Alex and Paulie.

QUOTE (mmmmmbeeer @ Jun 22, 2010 -> 10:52 AM)
If scoring 1 run against JD Martin is considered as having "worked pretty well", what exactly is not working well?

I mean we got the W, but it had nothing to do Oz's gut being right about resting Alex and Paulie.

My point was that Rios conveniently came right out of his slump on Sunday, and Paulie drove in three. Seems like the rest might have contributed to that.

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Jun 22, 2010 -> 10:54 AM)
My point was that Rios conveniently came right out of his slump on Sunday, and Paulie drove in three. Seems like the rest might have contributed to that.

Yeah but look at the pitcher on the mound for the Nats. That probably had a lot to do with it as well.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jun 22, 2010 -> 10:50 AM)
Wouldn't it have been smarter to rest them one at a time instead of both in one game?

Maybe, but it worked out seemingly as he planned it...Peavy showed up and pitched a monster game, he didn't need Rios and Konerko in the lineup to bail him out, and then Paulie and Rios were sharp on Sunday.

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Jun 22, 2010 -> 10:19 AM)

What others?

I'll tell you what he did wrong:

*Not pinch hitting for Gavin Floyd in the first game

*Sitting our two best hitters on Saturday and putting out one of the worst lineups in baseball.

Thing is, when your players perform, anything you do wrong can look good.

But even if some of these things look good, they can still be bad decisions.

Right now, the players are performing, but had Adam Dunn caught the ball Zimmerman slightly overthrew and had the Nationals been able to score more than 5 runs the entire series, this thread probably wouldn't exist.

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Jun 22, 2010 -> 10:58 AM)
So the consensus seems to be "Ozzie deserves no credit for players performing, but plenty of blame when things go wrong"

The consensus is that Ozzie isn't any different now than he was when the team was losing.

He still can't make a good lineup and he still likes Randy Williams too much.

So in essence, Ozzie made little, if any difference.

There was good and bad for Ozzie during that series. He did a great job of walking Dunn in the 9th on Saturday. That's unconventional, as you're not supposed to intentionally walk the go-ahead run. However, Friday night with the 7th/8th inning was poor. Thornton should have faced Dunn, and to top that, Floyd should have not been allowed to hit.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Jun 22, 2010 -> 11:01 AM)
LOL

"Rios hit .250 against 3 particular MLB pitchers and then had an 0-fer once."

Bill Braski was really struggling, huh?

The previous point I was attempting to refute made it seem like one particularly poor pitcher that Rios faced was the difference in how he hit.

Edited by Greg Hibbard

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 22, 2010 -> 11:06 AM)
John Lannan was probably the worst pitcher we faced this entire road trip.

Probably. I still think Rios did need the day off, as he had hit .200 for the previous week. Whether or not Konerko should have sat is another story, I suppose.

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Jun 22, 2010 -> 10:58 AM)
So the consensus seems to be "Ozzie deserves no credit for players performing, but plenty of blame when things go wrong"

Well, that makes us sound like a bunch of asses.

The Sox won the other day when Ozzie sat Rios and Konerko despite the lineup. The pitching won that game, that's it. I'll give Ozzie credit for putting Omar in as a defensive replacement and inserting him in the ninth spot. The Sox have been on a tear as of late for several reasons:

1) Playing some bad NL teams

2) The starting pitching has been great...like it should be

3) There's been some timely hitting

Ozzie doesn't deserve all the blame for the bad stuff, but he certainly doesn't deserve a lot of credit for the recent winning.

Look, I've gone on record as stating Ozzie is the worst in-game manager in baseball. Still, for whatever reason, he probably contributes to some of the success that this team has had in some capacity over his tenure, and his managerial record seems too good to just be players performing despite him.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 22, 2010 -> 11:00 AM)
The consensus is that Ozzie isn't any different now than he was when the team was losing.

He still can't make a good lineup and he still likes Randy Williams too much.

So in essence, Ozzie made little, if any difference.

Williams hasnt pitched since 6/11, I think Ozzie knows that Williams is not to be trusted. The problem is that when Thornton has no rest, he has to go to a lefty sometimes and Williams is all he has.

People are always going to try to sound smart, or try to take credit for pointless happenings; who cares. Ozzie is great today, bad tomorrow, or the real smart guy says he's always bad or always good, despite the team. There's only like 4 typical opinions one can possibly have; and why does there have to be credit given for getting to .500 anyway? None of this credit you create is deserved yet, but I attribute the recent success to the current lunar cycle; prove I'm wrong.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 22, 2010 -> 11:35 AM)
Williams hasnt pitched since 6/11, I think Ozzie knows that Williams is not to be trusted. The problem is that when Thornton has no rest, he has to go to a lefty sometimes and Williams is all he has.

I know, but I just needed something there to go along with the bad lineup making.