Zambrano worth the risk?

TylerAtIU

What about a trade for Zambrano where the cubs would take on Linebrink+Teahan and a decent prospect or two and cover around half of his salary. He could be send into the bullpen for the year and figure out the rest next year.

Am I crazyy?

Edited by ChiSox420*

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChiSox420* @ Jun 27, 2010 -> 08:21 PM)
What about a trade for Zambrano where the cubs would take on Linebrink+Teahan and a decent prospect or two and cover around half of his salary. He could be send into the bullpen for the year and figure out the rest next year.

Am I crazyy?

You are crazyy for thinking the Cubs would make that trade, yes

Plus there is no place for Zambrano. He would not start for us right now, nor would he unseat Jenks, Thornton, Putz, Pena or Santos in the pen. I'd have a problem making such a deal for a long reliever.

Plus, don't be so ready to give up on Teahen after a bad couple of months.

I don't know why anybody would want Carlos Zambrano in the first place. He hasn't been good this year, he's been a glorified #2-3 starter the past 3 years (whose become progressively more injury prone), he's a lunatic, and he's never been good against the AL as it is (4.82 career ERA against the AL in 22 starts, 26 games total, 136.1 IP), and none of those reasons have anything to do with the fact that he's owed like $18 mill a year for the next 2-3 years.

Carlos Zambrano is quite literally the last player I'd want to see traded to the White Sox right now.

QUOTE (IamtheHBOMB @ Jun 27, 2010 -> 08:33 PM)
How entertaining would it be to see Zambrano starting for the Sox and go apes*** on Quentin over a miscue in RF? Q would f***ing murder Zambrano in the dugout.

carlos%20quentin.jpg

"He said what? One second."

Headline Next Day: QUENTIN MURDERS ZAMBRANO WITH DEADLY STARE!

#1, we don't need more starting pitching.

#2 Zambrano isn't the Z of old. He was hitting 90-91 while he was out there against us. To put it another way, he was throwing as hard as Freddy Garcia. Unless there is something mechanical that can get him back to the middle 90's, he isn't worth it.

QUOTE (ChiSox420* @ Jun 27, 2010 -> 08:21 PM)

Am I crazyy?

I don't think the White Sox would want the distraction, despite Guillen's relationship with Zambrano. Secondly, I'm not sure he's better than any of the Sox starters, and I certainly don't think the White Sox would rather have him for $9 million (assuming he makes around $18 million) over Garcia or Floyd, who are making much less. If the Cubs are successful at moving him, I think they may have to pick up even more than the $9 million. About the only thing I agree upon is that they will have to take back another team's garbage.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jun 27, 2010 -> 08:29 PM)
Plus there is no place for Zambrano. He would not start for us right now, nor would he unseat Jenks, Thornton, Putz, Pena or Santos in the pen. I'd have a problem making such a deal for a long reliever.

I'm not giving up on Teahan, he'll probably return to a primary role at 3B after he returns, but I hope next season, he's seen as reserve player.

You MIGHT take someone as polarizing as him, if he was the Zambrano of old that was pretty good. No way you screw your team up now with that mess, regardless of the deal. Unless it was for Randy Williams, then you think about it.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Jun 27, 2010 -> 10:49 PM)
You MIGHT take someone as polarizing as him, if he was the Zambrano of old that was pretty good. No way you screw your team up now with that mess, regardless of the deal. Unless it was for Randy Williams, then you think about it.

If he was pitching like the Zambrano of old, I don't think the Cubs would be looking to trade him, and, even if they were, they probably wouldn't be picking up any of his salary and wouldn't take back our garbage (for example, Linebrink).

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 27, 2010 -> 08:23 PM)
You are crazyy for thinking the Cubs would make that trade, yes

Then again they might say yes if the Sox took all of Z's contract. They have a lot of bad contracts.

Don Cooper has admitted he doesn't want him. His immaturity is making Bradley to out to be a saint.

I can't imagine any ML team taking him.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Jun 27, 2010 -> 10:53 PM)
Then again they might say yes if the Sox took all of Z's contract. They have a lot of bad contracts.

Don Cooper has admitted he doesn't want him. His immaturity is making Bradley to out to be a saint.

I can't imagine any ML team taking him.

The Cubs wouldn't want anything back if they found a team stupid enough to pay Zambrano's entire salary. The Cubs would be overjoyed to find a team willing to do that, but it won't happen.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jun 28, 2010 -> 02:29 AM)

It's been 2 and a half years since Teahen was even a half decent player. I think it's acceptable to have given up on him.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 28, 2010 -> 08:57 AM)
There are like a dozen reasons not to do this. The only reason TO do it that I can think of is that he's Ozzie's buddy. And now that I type that, I'm not sure that's a good reason either.

No thank you.

If he was costing us $2 million a year, and it didn't cost us anything I cared about to get him, I'd do it. Nothing more. I wouldn't care about that buyout if he melted down again.

The only way I would even think about it is if the Cubs offered him and his entire contract for Linebrink or some s*** like that.

Zambrano is a nutcase and not a good teammate. You think he'd be happy in a bullpen role?

Yeah, he wants to win, but he's got more than a few screws loose in his head. He could only hurt the clubhouse.