Adam Dunn Trade rumor thread

TheChrisSamsa

It would suck though to have to give up Hudson to get Dunn when we could have just had Thome for a million dollars instead. I'm all for upgrading the offense, but you have to do so without giving up Hudson/Viciedo/Flowers. Trade Danks 2, he sucks anyways.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 11:45 AM)
Yes, we have a chance. But it requires us to basically sell off 2 key parts of our 2011 board without the financial resources to replace them. It's all about that.

If I'm the Nats and I get the Hudson + Flowers + some A baller offer, I wait a week or so until the AS break and see if I get a better offer, and if not I'd pull the trigger.

This key point is being overlooked it a lot of posts here.

Another thing to consider is that, outside of the past 2 1/2 weeks, the Sox have basically been playing like crap. If they revert back to April/May form over the next 3 weeks, Kenny might not be making any acquisitions.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 02:00 PM)
It would suck though to have to give up Hudson to get Dunn when we could have just had Thome for a million dollars instead. I'm all for upgrading the offense, but you have to do so without giving up Hudson/Viciedo/Flowers. Trade Danks 2, he sucks anyways.

Yeah, I really would like to not lose Hudson/Viciedo/Flowers for Dunn. If Dunn had 15 months remaining on his contract, then sure, but not 3 months.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 08:14 AM)
Which could account for the decreased walk rate, he's only walked 8 times in the month of June but he's hitting .300, he's been making a conscience effort to put the ball in play more, not sure how long that will last since it's just not his game. I could care less about strikeouts when he's putting up a near .400 wOBA. I don't see much more upside in an infield popup compared to K. With Dunn also comes the shift which means next to no double plays, keep that in mind also.

I was watching the Nationals broadcasts against the Sox and a couple of Strasburg starts as well....one of the broadcasts they talked about exactly what you said here, that Dunn is consciously attacking in his at-bats as opposed to his typical selective approach. Whether this is something he would continue to do in a different uniform, eh, who knows? Personally, I'm not sure that as an AL DH I necessarily would want him continuing this new approach.

I've always been a big Adam Dunn fan...mostly because he's one guy I target every year for fantasy baseball so I follow him fairly closely. I would absolutely love to see him in a Sox uniform. I think if you make a fair offer he could extend....there's certainly no evidence that salaries will suddenly skyrocket for high OBP power hitters who are pretty poor defensive players (aka Jim Thome).

Wite, my response to you is that while Hudson is MLB-ready now, I will counter by saying that there's still a lot of development needed on him. He's not going to step in and be Strasburg tomorrow, so although his bust potential may be lower, there is still a possibility he'll get to MLB and never make the jump.

Hudson isn't, at least as far as I can tell, seen as a sure fire or number one guy, although it's possible that some Washington scouts could disagree and say "get your hands on this guy". If they don't think he's a sure thing, then they're likelyt o ask for more, and they have every right to.

They're wagering a more sure thing versus 2 less sure things, but 2 less sure things in a deep draft, and I think right now the Nats believe they have some confidence in their drafting abilities. If I were in their spot, I'd hold out for Flowers + Hudson + more, unless my scouts believed Hudson was going to anchor their rotation right behind Stras for the next 5 years.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 01:45 PM)
Yes, we have a chance. But it requires us to basically sell off 2 key parts of our 2011 board without the financial resources to replace them. It's all about that.

If I'm the Nats and I get the Hudson + Flowers + some A baller offer, I wait a week or so until the AS break and see if I get a better offer, and if not I'd pull the trigger.

how many years have we heard the Sox are going to slash payroll? Heard it a lot last year and they added the Peavy and Rios contract. Major market teams, especially those who completely own or partly own cable stations, don't live and die by the attendance like smaller market teams. I am NOT saying attendance isn't important, but comcast ad revenues are also extremely important.

The Sox also have bumped their parking $7 in '09, so an increase in attendance may not make up the 3-6k a game you cited earlier, but a late season surge instead of a fade will bring more parking in.

Also, 08 they won the division and 09 was the year after that, so it's completely realistic for JR and the owners to think another division title would increase attendance the following year.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 01:45 PM)

Do you really want us to accept that offer? I am ok with one of them but both seems rough considering I am not convinced that Dunn puts us over the top.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 01:56 PM)
Also, I believe that Dan Hudson's value alone is worth far more than the 2 draft picks that are being acquired for Dunn. Simply considering the present value of Dan Hudson's services alone far outweighs that of 2 draft picks who, if the team is very, very lucky, will make it to the majors 24 months after they are drafted (just meaning a season and a half...if they're drafted in 2011, the team will be extremely lucky to get any significant contribution from said player in June of the 2013 season).

If I am the White Sox, I don't give up any more than Hudson, Danks2, and a lower level minor leaguer for Dunn. Like I said above, Hudson's value, even as a #3 starter (which I assume people believe to be about a 4.25 ERA, which would probably make him closer to a league average #2 starter, but we'll say #3 and just run with it) is worth far more than 2 draft picks in next year's draft who won't be able to contribute until atleast 3 years after the trade is consummated anyways, especially considering Hudson is MLB ready right now. As such, his additional value goes towards covering the cost of Dunn. Add a talented player in the form of Jordan Danks in there as well as the upside of a lower level minor leaguer in there too, and you have yourself a deal.

Hudson is ranked around 60th in BA's top prospect list this year. That puts him at roughly a value of $10-$14 million. A compensation pick is equal to $5 million. So you're right, Hudson alone is worth the two draft picks.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 03:12 PM)
how many years have we heard the Sox are going to slash payroll? Heard it a lot last year and they added the Peavy and Rios contract.

Kalapse can correct me if I'm wrong, but I've gotten the impression that we have cut some salary this year compared to last, and last year we dumped 2 players at the end of the season to save about $2 million in salary as well.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 02:17 PM)
Kalapse can correct me if I'm wrong, but I've gotten the impression that we have cut some salary this year compared to last, and last year we dumped 2 players at the end of the season to save about $2 million in salary as well.

Well, both of those players we dumped also came off the books.

Next year, AJ and Konerko come off the books.

That's why we were able to convince Jerry to add Jake and Alex.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 02:17 PM)

I will agree that Swisher was a salary dump two years ago, but, even though I was a fan of his, his contract was way over market.

I'm not saying the Sox are going to add 10-15m to the payroll next year, I'm just basically saying that I can't remember a time where the Sox drastically slashed payroll to get into the season or KW hasn't come up with something creative to make the roster work.

QUOTE (Real @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 02:23 PM)
not happy, unless hudson isnt part of the deal OR we extend Dunn for at least 3 years

Agreed. I don't believe for a minute that Hudson would be part of a deal for 2-3 months of Dunn.

Edited by flavum