Putz for Closer

Quin

QUOTE (Real @ Jul 21, 2010 -> 10:38 PM)
FYI jenks isn't the closer anymore per Ozzie, going by committee, and

i guarantee you all this

it came from Kenny

we all know ozzie would rush fatass out there every single time no matter how bad he is, thank you K-Dub

No way. I doubt KW is the kind of GM that rushes down to the clubhouse or makes a quick call and says no more Bobby. Ozzie waited for 2 epic failures . Now it's time he realizes the same for Kotsay in the middle of the order. I think Threets performance convinced him more than Bobby's suckage.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (mcgrad70 @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 06:42 AM)
I'm not talking about the Wilson play.

He generally is not a good fielder.

I see you didn't comment on his non ability to hold runners on base LIKE LAST NIGHT.

Some of you Sox fans are just as delusional as the management.

Jenks is a terrific fielding pitcher. He does a bad job of holding on runners, but almost all relievers do. I'm the last person to make excuses for Jenks, but the failure to pitch out on the 1-2 count to Gutierrez was just lazy managing.

QUOTE (Knackattack @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 12:44 AM)
Make Sergio closer. He has the stuff for it and it would allow us to keep Putz and Matt for the tougher situations.

you can't be serious

stuff only gets you so far as a closer, you have to have the mindset to do it, and Sergio hasn't even pitched for a full year yet

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 12:44 AM)
No way. I doubt KW is the kind of GM that rushes down to the clubhouse or makes a quick call and says no more Bobby. Ozzie waited for 2 epic failures . Now it's time he realizes the same for Kotsay in the middle of the order. I think Threets performance convinced him more than Bobby's suckage.

I think Kenny already told Ozzie that Jenks was on a short leach.

If Threets looked that good, you have to concluded that Jenks simply doesn't have it.

I love Bobby but when a closer loses a game, it tends to have snowballing effect.

The Sox have come back from the dead.

One monkey can't be allowed to stop this show.

It's just time for him to move on.

Some of you guys slay me. Ever heard of battling through adversity. And somebody said he hasn't been good in five years??? WTF.

I said after he returned from the family crisis we could have closer by committee a while and it wouldn't bother me but it would require Oz having a feel on who to use on a given night.

After blowing the save the other day and giving up some shots yesterday that were gobbled up by Omar and Lexi, I would have not balked at Putz or Matt tonight.

I hope our other closers are automatic, but I am afraid you are going to find out that all closers blow saves once in a while.

I still support Bobby.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 05:53 AM)
Some of you guys slay me. Ever heard of battling through adversity. And somebody said he hasn't been good in five years??? WTF.

GMAFB, if this was his "good stuff", then maybe he's just washed up.

Why is bringing up Wagner blowing a save out of line to you?

He did? Closers blow games. s*** happens.

Jenks has blown 2 of the last 3. Yes he deserves to sit a while and closer by committee makes sense right now.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 01:39 AM)
Why is bringing up Wagner blowing a save out of line to you?

He did? Closers blow games. s*** happens.

Jenks has blown 2 of the last 3. Yes he deserves to sit a while and closer by committee makes sense right now.

Wagner doesn't have an ERA over five.

QUOTE (mcgrad70 @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 01:42 AM)
I'm not talking about the Wilson play.

He generally is not a good fielder.

I see you didn't comment on his inability to hold runners on base LIKE LAST NIGHT.

The next time you see Jenks throw over to first to keep a runner close WILL BE THE FIRST TIME.

Some of you Sox fans are just as delusional as the management.

Ugh I hate it when people make posts with this tone. "I know everything, the rest of you are stupid" without actually saying it.

Edited by lostfan

I think it's funny to note that Sox pitching held the Mariners scoreless for 27 straight innings. Bobby Jenks enters the game, and they promptly score (twice) to win a game against us as if they were the Twins from 2001-2004.

Oh, and DFA his fat f***ing ass.

Edited by Milkman delivers

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 12:59 AM)
How do you guys explain Wagner blowing a 2 run lead tonight?

What closers are automatic these days? Tell me those closers.

Blown saves happen. Even Andrew Bailey, who has an ERA in the mid 1's and a WHIP just under 1, has 3 of them. The problem is, people use this largely BS stat to defend Bobby Jenks. Bobby Jenks shouldn't be the closer because he has an ERA over 5 and a WHIP over 1.5 and that means he's a bad pitcher, particularly considering he's a reliever. And bad pitchers can't be closers, especially when you have better choices, and we have WAY better ones.

And chw42, I thought Jenks was going to get non-tendered in the off-season no matter what. He's just making the decision that much easier though.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 09:26 AM)
Blown saves happen. Even Andrew Bailey, who has an ERA in the mid 1's and a WHIP just under 1, has 3 of them. The problem is, people use this largely BS stat to defend Bobby Jenks. Bobby Jenks shouldn't be the closer because he has an ERA over 5 and a WHIP over 1.5 and that means he's a bad pitcher, particularly considering he's a reliever. And bad pitchers can't be closers, especially when you have better choices, and we have WAY better ones.

And chw42, I thought Jenks was going to get non-tendered in the off-season no matter what. He's just making the decision that much easier though.

A lot of those saves that the good closers blow are one run saves.

Wonder if anyone has stats that support my belief that when Jenks blows a save, not only does he blow the lead, but the opposition seems to go ahead as well. He's one of t hose guys that as soon as any real damage is done, you need to pull him immediately.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 10:31 AM)
Wonder if anyone has stats that support my belief that when Jenks blows a save, not only does he blow the lead, but the opposition seems to go ahead as well. He's one of t hose guys that as soon as any real damage is done, you need to pull him immediately.

I don't remember him blowing the save and the game still being tied, not this year at least.

Edited by chw42

Jenks is going to get non-tendered this off-season. Nobody's paying his ass $10 million. I'd rather give that money to Putz.

Somebody will pay him, unless he gets hurt. He has the same issues as always, weight being one of them. Hopefully Putz will be a good closer for the Sox or Thornton will be a good closer for the Sox.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 10:39 AM)
Somebody will pay him, unless he gets hurt. He has the same issues as always, weight being one of them. Hopefully Putz will be a good closer for the Sox or Thornton will be a good closer for the Sox.

Do you really think someone will give Jenks $10 million as a free agent???