Teahen cleared for baseball activity...

southsider2k5

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Aug 3, 2010 -> 11:37 PM)
And today is exactly why I wanted to see Buehrle or Jackson on 4-days rest vs. Orioles than see Torres pitch vs. Detroit.....

Ugh.

Lol it's fine. We got a doubleheader split, gained a half game on Minnesota, saved the entire bullpen for BOTH games except Linebrink and Pena (so everybody out there other than those two is now on at least 2 days rest), and now can pitch everybody from the rotation on regular rest from this point forward. Plus, we got Sale up here without losing Threets (since he has a fake injury), and Viciedo and Lillibridge are still here for now. I actually consider today a significant success. The roster is about set at what it should be if we DFA Kotsay when Teahen is called up, but obviously i'm not holding my breath there.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

The roster is about set at what it should be if we DFA Kotsay when Teahen is called up, but obviously i'm not holding my breath there.

Probably wise to not hold your breath. No way they are going to DFA a guy who played both ends of a DH today. Oz actually considers him one of his better players obviously if he played both ends of the DH at his age.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 4, 2010 -> 12:09 AM)
Probably wise to not hold your breath. No way they are going to DFA a guy who played both ends of a DH today. Oz actually considers him one of his better players obviously if he played both ends of the DH at his age.

At some point, KW has to overrule Oz IMO. It's one thing to let Oz make a borderline decision, but this is basically common sense here.

Yeah, you would think KW would overrule Oz on this one. Kotsay just doesn't get enough hits or walks to warrant playing time.

But I was just saying with him playing both ends of a DH today, no way he's gonna get released upon Teahen's return. That wouldn't make sense for him to fall that far in the skipper's eyes in just a week or so.

I find it difficult to believe KW and Oz haven't been driven crazy by his ground outs to second and pop outs, but I guess they haven't been driven to insanity yet for some reason.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 4, 2010 -> 12:44 AM)
Yeah, you would think KW would overrule Oz on this one. Kotsay just doesn't get enough hits or walks to warrant playing time.

But I was just saying with him playing both ends of a DH today, no way he's gonna get released upon Teahen's return. That wouldn't make sense for him to fall that far in the skipper's eyes in just a week or so.

I find it difficult to believe KW and Oz haven't been driven crazy by his ground outs to second and pop outs, but I guess they haven't been driven to insanity yet for some reason.

Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but do you think that with the players themselves burning Kotsays' bats the other day in an effort to get him going, that his fellow teamates are getting a little fed up with trying to carry his much less than solid bat in the lineup almost evey game. I'm thinking that with K.W. trying pretty desparately to add another bat that Ozzie too sees the writing on the wall at this point. Could it be that the reason Kotsay started both games of the twin bill was a last ditch effort by Ozzie to get Kotsays' bat going because he knows that time is short, and if Kotsay doesn't justify himself soon that Ozzie will have no other choice but to DFA him in favor of Teahen. Ozzie can be extremely stubborn at times, but he isn't stupid.

QUOTE (balfanman @ Aug 4, 2010 -> 02:55 AM)
Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but do you think that with the players themselves burning Kotsays' bats the other day in an effort to get him going, that his fellow teamates are getting a little fed up with trying to carry his much less than solid bat in the lineup almost evey game. I'm thinking that with K.W. trying pretty desparately to add another bat that Ozzie too sees the writing on the wall at this point. Could it be that the reason Kotsay started both games of the twin bill was a last ditch effort by Ozzie to get Kotsays' bat going because he knows that time is short, and if Kotsay doesn't justify himself soon that Ozzie will have no other choice but to DFA him in favor of Teahen. Ozzie can be extremely stubborn at times, but he isn't stupid.

I don't think his teammates are fed up with his production, they want him to hit. He's a popular guy. I do think you may be on to something with Ozzie playing him both games. With Teahen coming back, maybe Ozzie realizes its put up or shut up time with Kotsay.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Aug 4, 2010 -> 12:37 AM)
And today is exactly why I wanted to see Buehrle or Jackson on 4-days rest vs. Orioles than see Torres pitch vs. Detroit.....

Ugh.

Worth noting...every pitcher currently in our rotation has an ERA a run higher on "normal" rest than they do on 5 days rest. Mark's ERA on "normal" rest is 5.47, it's 3.5 on 1 day extra rest, and it's 2.48 on 6 days+ rest. There's no reason to believe that Buehrle wouldn't have been shellacked by the Orioles, costing us a winnable game, on short rest.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 4, 2010 -> 07:42 AM)
Worth noting...every pitcher currently in our rotation has an ERA a run higher on "normal" rest than they do on 5 days rest. Mark's ERA on "normal" rest is 5.47, it's 3.5 on 1 day extra rest, and it's 2.48 on 6 days+ rest. There's no reason to believe that Buehrle wouldn't have been shellacked by the Orioles, costing us a winnable game, on short rest.

And what is the sample size of that? A handful of games?

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Aug 4, 2010 -> 09:59 AM)
And what is the sample size of that? A handful of games?

Of course it's a handful of games, but it's an entirely reasonable expectation.

If you want a broader look, let's go to MB's career numbers. Mark's pitched on 3 days rest 6 times in his career and his numbers are good in them...but if you're going to talk about sample size, those games have to be tossed out because 6 games in 10+ years isn't a lot.

Here's his career marks on:

Normal rest: 1.36 WHIP, 4.34 ERA

5 days rest: 1.18 WHIP, 3.22 ERA

6 days rest: 1.12 WHIP, 3.41 ERA

Also going to give you OPS against him, and include the 3 days rest here because it makes a nice trendline:

3 days: .796

4 days: .770

5 days: .695

6 days: .676

QUOTE (balfanman @ Aug 4, 2010 -> 02:55 AM)
Could it be that the reason Kotsay started both games of the twin bill was a last ditch effort by Ozzie to get Kotsays' bat going because he knows that time is short, and if Kotsay doesn't justify himself soon that Ozzie will have no other choice but to DFA him in favor of Teahen.

Yes.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Aug 4, 2010 -> 09:11 AM)
If Lillibridge is sent down when Teahen returns there will be grumblings. If Viciedo is sent down when Teahen returns, this board is going to explode. In everyone's mind, Teahen replaces Kotsay...left-handed bat and all.

fixed

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Aug 4, 2010 -> 09:23 AM)
Probably Viciedo goes down to play everyday at Charlotte and be back in Sept or earlier if there is an injury

The problem is that, assuming no major additions, I'd want Viciedo on my playoff roster. He'd at least be my DH against all left-handed starters and maybe even more. Same goes for Lillibridge, since he offers defensive flexibility and is our best pinch-runner. They both have more important roles to play on our playoff roster than Kotsay (left-handed pinch hitter). Therefore, these guys got to be on our 25 man roster or the DL on the last day of August.

Mark Teahen-3B- White Sox Aug. 8 - 3:54 pm et

Mark Teahen (finger) could use all of the allotted 20 days on his rehab assignment.

It had been previously reported that he could return as early as August 10, but he's only seven games into his rehab, so it doesn't look like that will happen. Teahen is hitting .421 over those seven contests, so he appears ready at the plate, but the White Sox want him to play several positions more since he will be used in a utility role when he returns.

QUOTE (AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Aug 8, 2010 -> 06:29 PM)
Mark Teahen-3B- White Sox Aug. 8 - 3:54 pm et

Mark Teahen (finger) could use all of the allotted 20 days on his rehab assignment.

It had been previously reported that he could return as early as August 10, but he's only seven games into his rehab, so it doesn't look like that will happen. Teahen is hitting .421 over those seven contests, so he appears ready at the plate, but the White Sox want him to play several positions more since he will be used in a utility role when he returns.

Screw it, just get his bat up here. Pronto. Kotsay is making me violent.