White Sox Acquire Edwin Jackson

SOXOBAMA

Reminds me of how sending Garcia to Philly for Gio and Floyd was structured, except that one was done after a season.

Except for Jackson would be the equivalent of Floyd in the deal.

A guy with exceptional stuff who people have soured on.

Im not a huge Hudson fan.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (IceCreamPants @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 02:53 PM)
lol

We can go with that story but we all know greg is busy hugging DeWayne Wise.

He really wanted to hug Bobby Jenks, but unfortunately, he realized that most Soxtalk users were right when they said Jenks was fat.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 03:55 PM)

No, Jackson would be the Garcia. Guy with a nearly $10 million contract on the books for next season who is struggling and who can't get his ERA down under 5.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 03:55 PM)
He really wanted to hug Bobby Jenks, but unfortunately, he realized that most Soxtalk users were right when they said Jenks was fat.

Dude, I'm angry about this deal too, but this post serves zero purpose other than to insult Jenks. We don't want that.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 11:55 AM)
Jordan4life, why are you pissed? It's not like Kenny ever makes any bad trades right?

Just be like the other half of this board and have blind faith in KW for no reason!

And assume that the whole deal is done, because multiple sports writers aren't tweeting off their asses about Jackson being shopped again!

I mean, also, it's not like Huddy wasn't projected as a #4 starter by EVERY guy that has written about him this season, right?

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 01:55 PM)

No, because Floyd was making nothing when we traded for him. The key to acquiring the pitchers people have soured on them is there is tremendous upside if they have hardly any service time under their belts. If you turn them around, they pitch effectively for very little $.

The same cannot be said for Jackson, regardless of how he pitches.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 02:48 PM)
Really Lilly and Lee?

That would be a brutal deal.

As for Hudson and Jackson being equal, I guess that almost 1:1 bb:k ratio Hudson is rocking really impresses people?

Hudson faced 71 batters, 28 of them reached base.

Im sorry but if the Sox were going to the playoffs with Hudson/Garcia at the 4 spot they were in major trouble.

Jackson may not be the best pitcher, but hes a serviceable 4 with (imo) more upside than Hudson.

Wanna play small sample sizes? I guess you do, so you went first so now its my time:

Jackson has given up 22 runs in the last 5 games, thats only 27 innings. He had 19 strikeouts and 14 walks.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 02:53 PM)
If we were in a pennant race and our 5th starter was a guy with a history of bad 2nd halves and an ERA over 5, and we traded him for a rookie and in the process saved ourselves $10 million+, I don't think I'd mind one bit.

Reminds me of how sending Garcia to Philly for Gio and Floyd was structured, except that one was done after a season.

Thought I'd just throw this out there again:

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 01:47 AM)
Jackson over his last 5 starts since his 149 pitch no hitter:

27.1 IP, 19K/15BB, 7.24 ERA, 1.94 WHIP .330/.412/.496/.908

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 02:57 PM)
Dude, I'm angry about this deal too, but this post serves zero purpose other than to insult Jenks. We don't want that.

My bad. I probably could have put that in a different way.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 02:54 PM)
That didn't stop us from killing him towards the end of '08. Take away Jackson's first half of '09, and he's been very mediocre.

I think Jackson is more Floyd-like than Javy-like.

Javy had great control. But no nads.

Jackson has power-stuff but has trouble harnessing it.

Coop fixed Floyd. Let's hope he can do similar things for EJax.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 02:58 PM)
No, because Floyd was making nothing when we traded for him. The key to acquiring the pitchers people have soured on them is there is tremendous upside if they have hardly any service time under their belts. If you turn them around, they pitch effectively for very little $.

The same cannot be said for Jackson, regardless of how he pitches.

Exactly, he eats up alot of the payroll in which we were hoping that Hudson was going to save the team.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 02:55 PM)
Jordan4life, why are you pissed? It's not like Kenny ever makes any bad trades right?

Just be like the other half of this board and have blind faith in KW for no reason!

Yep, Kenny has never given anyone a reason to have faith in him. Good point. :unsure:

Don't worry, I'm over taking the bait on stuff.

As far as Lee ... he'd be our DH capable of getting hot for his chance at a pennant. I just have a weird feeling Lilly would be serviceable. Maybe it's the one-hitter thing.

Why don't we just get Berkman? THey don't need him now that they got phenom Wallace. Let's get him cheaply. We'll have Jackson and the bat we need.

Ship the Astros two minor leaguers. Ok 3 of them.

QUOTE (scenario @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 03:59 PM)
I think Jackson is more Floyd-like than Javy-like.

Javy had great control. But no nads.

Jackson has power-stuff but has trouble harnessing it.

So we're going to talk about pitchers who are big game pitchers. Let's say that Jackson's pitching for a team, let's call them the "Tigers". Let's say that he gets the ball for game 162, against a team called the "White Sox". Let's also say this is a huge game, like "the Tigers win this game and they win the Central, they lose and the Twins can tie them and force game 163" huge.

Which of these things would he do if he were a big game pitcher:

Pitch 8 innings of 1 run ball

Pitch 5 innings and give up 8 runs.

Now that you've answered which you think he'd do...which did he do last year?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 12:54 PM)
Ted Lilly's about the one pitcher we could add that would piss me off more than Jackson.

I don't understand this. Lilly was an average/above-average pitcher in Toronto and Oakland before his numbers were inflated by playing for the Cubs. He's a lot safer than Jackson and we won't owe him $8.35M next year.

Edited by WCSox

Ill play "What my eyes tell me". And id say on the majority of White Sox trades, ive been on the right side (look it up if youd like).

I was a huge fan of the Floyd trade when no one else was, and once again Ill be the only person who is a fan of this trade if I have to be.

Salary is irrelevant in this discussion because the people who have the money, have decided that salary didnt matter. I am comfortable that Reinsdorf wont overspend and put his team in peril for the next few seasons.

That leaves the only consideration of who is better, Hudson or Jackson.

I think Hudson is a serviceable pitcher, but im not sure that I want him as a playoff pitcher this year. That would mean Freddy would be our 4. With Jackson the Sox have flexibility (if he stays).

Jackson has been brutal since his no hitter, my guess is that he is suffering from dead arm. Not a great time to be picking him up, but most likely you wouldnt get Jackson for Hudson at any other team.

Its clear Hudson wasnt a hot commodity to anyone else but fans on this message board.