White Sox Acquire Manny Ramirez

Big Daddy Kool

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 20, 2010 -> 05:42 PM)
Giving away games at this point would be suicide.

Well I'm commenting more on the rules of the process than on our situation, specifically. Imagine a scenario whereby two AL East teams both wanted a player and happened to be playing a series against one another when the player was put on waivers...

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 20, 2010 -> 05:49 PM)
Well I'm commenting more on the rules of the process than on our situation, specifically. Imagine a scenario whereby two AL East teams both wanted a player and happened to be playing a series against one another when the player was put on waivers...

I can't see a team thinking a player was worth essentially two games at this point of the season.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 20, 2010 -> 05:35 PM)
Interesting thing about this is that a team could theoretically lose on purpose to improve it's claiming position over the course of two days...

So thats why Thornton threw that s*** pitch to Thome on Tuesday! Its all part of the master plan to get Manny.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Aug 20, 2010 -> 02:44 PM)
I think Kenny is targeting Manny and he's gonna try and get him soon:

Per mlb.com:

If Manny does get by all NL clubs on waivers, the American League clubs who could potentially benefit this summer from Ramirez with reasonable shots at the playoffs probably include -- in order of claim priority as of today -- Chicago, Texas, Boston, Minnesota, New York, and Tampa Bay.

If multiple AL clubs were to place claims, the one with the worst win-loss record would have the prevailing claim. Here's where it can be a little tricky: The standings are viewed for the purposes of claim priority as of the time the claim window closes, which is two days after the player is placed on waivers, not when the window opens. In other words, Los Angeles wouldn't necessarily be able to time the waiver request to steer Ramirez to the team it wants to deal with.

Who will want Ramirez?

If Ramirez does go unclaimed in the National League, the White Sox may very well make the prevailing claim. Recall that Chicago reportedly made a run at Ramirez on July 31 (after failing to get Washington to part with Adam Dunn) but got nowhere with its demand not only that it wouldn't give up any player of consequence but also that Los Angeles would have to cover all but $1 million of Ramirez's remaining salary.

Ramirez earns $20 million in 2010, the final year of a two-year, $45 million contract he signed in March 2009. Of the $20 million owed for 2010, only $5 million is actually payable this year, with the remaining $15 million deferred without interest ($3.33 million due in June 2011; $3.33 million due in June 2012; and $8.33 million due in June 2013). Deferred compensation would be prorated based on when the dollars are earned (not when payable), and so any team picking Ramirez up for what amounts to the final fifth of the season would be obligated to him for about $1 million over the remainder of the season, and about $3 million more spread out over the next three seasons (with the Dodgers on the hook for the rest of the deferred portion). But in the event of a trade, those allocations could be negotiable.

The point of the dollars discussion is that the money shouldn't be a major impediment. So if Chicago decided not to put in a claim, then Texas, Boston (surely only to block), Minnesota, New York, and Tampa Bay might find reasons not to do so themselves, but probably not fiscal ones. And again: If Ramirez were to go fully unclaimed, Los Angeles would be free to discuss a trade with any club.

So I guess RME JICO was wrong when he told me this when I asked that question a few weeks ago.....

QUOTE (RME JICO @ Aug 12, 2010 -> 02:18 AM)
It can't be variable and change within the 48 hours, so it has to be when the player is actually put on waivers. That is the order of precedence that teams can acquire them. So the start of the 48 hour time period.

Ken_Rosenthal #Dodgers activating Manny tonight. Will be in lineup. #waiverclaim #MLB

about 7 hours ago

........ Went 0/3 with 2 Ks. No rehab stint like they talked about? Seems like they are rushing him back to put him on waivers by the 31st. Although at this point a Sox claim of Manny seems to be a waste. Our BP is blown out. And the DH didn't help the problem.

Edited by Frank_Thomas35

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Aug 22, 2010 -> 01:00 AM)
Ken_Rosenthal #Dodgers activating Manny tonight. Will be in lineup. #waiverclaim #MLB

about 7 hours ago

........ Went 0/3 with 2 Ks. No rehab stint like they talked about? Seems like they are rushing him back to put him on waivers by the 31st. Although at this point a Sox claim of Manny seems to be a waste. Our BP is blown out. And the DH didn't help the problem.

He did a rehab stint for 2-3 days

I hope the Sox don't bring in Manny. Cheating prima donna is what he is. If anyone really think he's going to make himself a ton of money by actually trying in September, I think you couldn't be more wrong. The teams that overpay ridiculously have seen the act. I think even Manny knows this. He's 38, can still hit, but who knows if he really will feel like playing, probably off the juice, 3 times on the DL this year. Very unreliable at this point. His days of putting up the numbers he put up when he jaked his way out of Boston to LA are ova. In fact, Thome's numbers are better this year IMO, and Ozzie already said the Sox couldn't win with Thome.

Edited by Dick Allen

Bring the f***er in asap. This team is on a free fall right now. Yes, they are only a few games out but the confidence is lacking and they have needed the shot in the arm all year and Kenny has failed to give it. Get Manny and let this man catapult us to the motherf***ing playoffs!

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Aug 23, 2010 -> 09:45 AM)
I'm sure it's been mentioned in this thread before, but I'm lazy. What is Manny's contract status after this year?

He is a free agent with a large deferred salary, and I believe you're not able to offer him arbitration (as if you'd want to anyway).

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Aug 23, 2010 -> 03:42 PM)
Buster Olney

Jayson Stark reports that Manny Ramirez is NOT on today's waiver wire -- the first chance the Dodgers have had to place him this month.

Yeah, they're going to at least wait a few days so that he can have a couple games to hit and prove he can stay healthy for more than 1 game.

My prediction is that Manny will most likely be a Chicago White Sox or a Dodger or a member of another team sometime between now and the end of the season. I'll further my prediction by saying he will swing a bat and occasionally make contact with a baseball thrown by a pitcher towards his bat. He may even hit the ball.

That being said, I wouldn't mind seeing him in a White Sox uniform.

Manny fits with the fading-star-slugger theme of the past few years. As such it would be a patented KDub move, allowing him to re-establish his authority over Ozzie after the Thome veto.

If it would help us win some of the one run games that have kilt us this year, why not? Bonus: I very much doubt he's afraid of the Twinkies.

At the very least, we'd get to watch Manny being Manny together with Ozzie being Ozzie. We may not win, but we'll certainly be entertained.