White Sox Acquire Manny Ramirez

Big Daddy Kool

I think you bat Manny behind Konerko because it protects Konerko and puts a legitimate hitter lower in the order.

I dont love the idea of Manny 3rd just because Id prefer Rios in front of Ramirez so that Ramirez can drive him in.

I think Ramirez would get the most rbi chances at the 5th spot.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 27, 2010 -> 02:49 PM)
This is a disgrace. I just hope we have him one month.

And if we fall out of the race, which seems inevitable, how the f*** are you gonna feel about Manny when he's not into playing for the White Sox with us 7 back?? Manny is a cheater. I don't want him.

Meh.

After Tim Raines (sorry Rock), Wil Cordero, Albert Belle, and Jose Canseco, I'm not getting that worked up over Manny Ramirez.

He cheated, got caught, and served his "punishment" (as ineffectual and hypocritical as it might be). He'll be punished again when he's shut out of Cooperstown.

Its not like he's going to be shooting up or dosing in our clubhouse or locker room; we're not going to be the ones "looking the other way" as he actively does

his stuff.

I've rooted for plenty of assholes, cheaters, and lawbreakers. What's one more?

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Aug 27, 2010 -> 09:00 PM)
it wasn't against the rules. how about all the players of the past who used greenies before a game?

better build a big fire to burn all those sox jerseys.

If Manny is beyond criticism, why did somebody say Farmer always blasts him? My position is not unique.

I'd prefer to not have the bum on my team.

I personally would want to boo him in his first plate appearance then cheer for him because he is only one player on a team. I don't like what he stands for. He flaunts his me-first attitude more than most players.

Frank Thomas, Paul Konerko equal great hitters and class.

Manny? Great hitter and a bum.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 27, 2010 -> 02:02 PM)
I'd almost rather have Rios bat 2nd. He's got speed and hits a lot of singles.

I was kind of thinking that as well.

With not putting much thought into it:

Pierre

Rios

Manny

PK

CQ

Teahan

Alexei

AJP

Becks

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 27, 2010 -> 03:04 PM)
If Manny is beyond criticism, why did somebody say Farmer always blasts him? My position is not unique.

I personally would want to boo him in his first plate appearance then cheer for him because he is only one player on a team. I don't like what he stands for. He flaunts his me-first attitude more than most players.

That's true. Hopefully, the Sox are winning if and when he's playing here and we won't see this side of him.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Aug 27, 2010 -> 09:03 PM)
One question, Greg: Are you saying you've never sped while driving, fudged some numbers on a tax return, jaywalked? Longshot's post was a bit inflammatory, but I got the point. How many guys do you think were on steroids before the testing became so prominent? I would imagine a lot more than we might think.

It's shallow and stupid to try to justify his acquisition by the questions you ask.

In answer to your questions. Yes, I've sped while driving and had some tickets. No I've not fudged a tax return, ever. Yes I've jaywalked. What the f*** does that have to do with this?

We can disagree on his character but cheating is wrong.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Aug 27, 2010 -> 09:04 PM)
Do people not realize that Konerko is having almost as good a season as Joey Votto?

I hit Manny 5th, you need that speed in front of Konerko to see the fastballs which he is crushing.

Paul Konerko is the ultimate professional. He does things quietly. He is a hero. A good role model IMO.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 27, 2010 -> 03:02 PM)
I'd almost rather have Rios bat 2nd. He's got speed and hits a lot of singles.

I think that's a good move. Sometimes that works for hitters to get out of slumps, plus it forces him to go oppo (which he did a few times lately, and he's looked better, or did last night).

But Beckham is also a good choice for 2nd slot now.

This won't happen, but I'd go with...

Pierre 7

Beckham 4

Ramirez 0

Konerko 3

Rios 8

Ramirez 6

Quentin/Teahen 9

Pierzynski 2

Vizquel 5

Might flip AJ and Alexei at 6/8. If Teahen DH's and Quentin is in the field, put Rios back to 3rd slot, Quentin 5th.

Love it.

You dont want Rios batting 2nd in Ozzie's line up. Ozzie will have him bunting and taking pitches for Pierre to steal on. You want some one like Vizquel in that spot because its not so bad when the bat gets taken out of his hand.

The most logical spot (imo) is batting Manny 5th. If he is on fire maybe move him to 3rd, but Id rather have Rios/Konerko in front of Manny, so that he can drive them in.

Please stop talking about Frank Thomas like he was a beloved player. The Chicago media and the White Sox were not big fans of his. he is now trying to make up for this in attempt to stay relevant.

Again, I am a huge Thomas fan and loved what he stood for in regard to steroids and hitting but he was not a class guy.

None of that has to do with steroids which appears to be what you're freaking out about.

And again, if you are so opposed to it, then burn all your Sox gear and stop watching the team and baseball in general. So many players used it that its stupid to hate the 1 or 2 that got caught and not the hundreds more that are still playing and did it too.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Aug 27, 2010 -> 02:08 PM)
You dont want Rios batting 2nd in Ozzie's line up. Ozzie will have him bunting and taking pitches for Pierre to steal on. You want some one like Vizquel in that spot because its not so bad when the bat gets taken out of his hand.

The most logical spot (imo) is batting Manny 5th. If he is on fire maybe move him to 3rd, but Id rather have Rios/Konerko in front of Manny, so that he can drive them in.

Exactly. That being said I'd bat Rios 5th. His RBI chances with 2 outs and RISP has been amazing this year. I don't want Rios or Beckham touching the 2 spot in an Ozzie Guillen managed team. Leave that for a guy like Vizquel. (maybe Alexei)

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 27, 2010 -> 09:07 PM)
People looking for morality in sports are looking for it in the wrong place. I'll root for an ex-terrorist if I have to, I real don't care.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Aug 27, 2010 -> 09:08 PM)
None of that has to do with steroids which appears to be what you're freaking out about.

And again, if you are so opposed to it, then burn all your Sox gear and stop watching the team and baseball in general. So many players used it that its stupid to hate the 1 or 2 that got caught and not the hundreds more that are still playing and did it too.

That's where we differ, chw. Win and do it with class.

As far as Jenks post. Take your ball and go home. That's such an easy argument. It's not that simple. I said I'd boo him once, then grudgingly root for him helping us win and feel dirty doing so. He wouldn't be the reason we won it all if we did win it all; it would take a lot more than Manny.

He'll be embraced early; who in LA is talking about Mannywood now? They want that bum long gone! Just as we will if he's here long enough.

I've been a Sox fan a long time. Just because they add one bum doesn't mean I have to burn my jersey and hat.

Edited by greg775