Official 2010-2011 NCAA Basketball Thread

Brian

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Feb 27, 2011 -> 07:01 AM)
An upset over Purdue would be so nice to have, but I extremely doubt it will happen. The Illini need to atleast beat Indiana and one game (if not 2) in the B10 tourney to get in IMO.

I pretty much agree. If Illinois doesn't beat Indiana and win two in the B10 tourney they should be out. Knight said the Big 10 will have more undeserving teams in the ncaa tournament than any other conference and I think he's right. The B10 should get 4 bids max and that's pushing it.

Interesting end to the Louisville/Pitt game.

OT, Louisville up 3, Pitt ball with under 10. They miss a layup, Louisville rebounds, make a couple passes, get a breakaway dunk to go up 5 with .5 left. Game over, right?

After the dunk, the ball is lying on the court, a few of the Louisville male cheerleaders walk onto the court thinking it's over even though the clock clearly never ran out...one goes all the way to get the ball and throws it about 20 feet up in the air and spins around.

TECHNICAL FOUL.

Pitt makes the 2 shots, has the ball on the inbounds, but just not enough time to get off a 3 point attempt to tie the game.

I wish that breakaway dunk somehow either tied it or put them up 1 or 2. Stupid f***ing cheerleaders.

Edited by IlliniKrush

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Feb 27, 2011 -> 04:29 PM)
Interesting end to the Louisville/Pitt game.

OT, Louisville up 3, Pitt ball with under 10. They miss a layup, Louisville rebounds, make a couple passes, get a breakaway dunk to go up 5 with .5 left. Game over, right?

After the dunk, the ball is lying on the court, a few of the Louisville male cheerleaders walk onto the court thinking it's over even though the clock clearly never ran out...one goes all the way to get the ball and throws it about 20 feet up in the air and spins around.

TECHNICAL FOUL.

Pitt makes the 2 shots, has the ball on the inbounds, but just not enough time to get off a 3 point attempt to tie the game.

I wish that breakaway dunk somehow either tied it or put them up 1 or 2. Stupid f***ing cheerleaders.

Eh your making it sound like it was a close call or something.. they had to go the length of the court in .5 seconds.. it was very stupid for that cheerleader to grab the ball, but it would have taken a miracle for Pitt to even get a semi decent shot off like that

Still very stupid, and an unnecessary scare in a game that should have been over earlier

I don't think I did. Plus he got a shot off just after the buzzer anyway.

However, making it a one possession game when the game was absolutely over, due to cheerleader conduct, is ridiculous. Stranger things have happened - but that wasn't the main reason I was posting.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Mar 1, 2011 -> 09:00 AM)
The Big 12 is gonna be a tough f***ing basketball conference next year.

I think the Big East, Big Ten and possibly ACC will be better. Kansas will lose the Morris twins, Texas will lose all their bigs, K-State is losing most of their scoring and the big 12 is mostly out of the top classes picture (except Texas)

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Mar 1, 2011 -> 08:22 AM)
I think the Big East, Big Ten and possibly ACC will be better. Kansas will lose the Morris twins, Texas will lose all their bigs, K-State is losing most of their scoring and the big 12 is mostly out of the top classes picture (except Texas)

It's not like Kansas and Texas are magically going to suck. I'm talking about the overall strength of the league next year, in which you're looking at:

Kansas

Texas

Texas A&M

Mizzou

Kansas State

Baylor

Iowa State

Oklahoma State

Oklahoma

Texas Tech

If Tech or Oklahoma show any shred of improvement next year, it's one of the toughest top to bottom. And yes, Iowa State too, but I'm relatively confident that they will be improved next year :P - #16 ranked incoming class by someone when transfers are included.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Mar 1, 2011 -> 09:22 AM)

The Big 10 is almost certainly going to be worse next year than it is this year. Unless OSU gets insanely lucky and Sullinger comes back they are going to be much worse, even with Hummel Purdue will be worse, Wisconsin will be very good and the odds on favorite if Taylor returns but without him they are mediocre, MSU will likely be a bubble team, Illinois will have a ton of talent but I give up predicting how they will develop, Michigan should be solid, IU might be able to work their way to bubble status, Iowa will still be bad, Minnesota will be a bubble team at best unless their guards make miraculous jumps, NW will be mediocre, and PSU will be one of the worst major conference teams in the country.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Mar 1, 2011 -> 08:22 AM)

The Big Ten will be trash next season. It will be Ohio State, Wisconsin and Michigan that might be good...other than that I don't see much. Purdue loses Moore and Johnson...Minnesota will lose Tubby...Indiana probably needs another year to become good. MSU obviously has good recruits and a great coach but it will be hard to replace Lucas. Illinois is likely to be very bad...no point guard at all and multiple players trying to look good for NBA scouts...

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Mar 1, 2011 -> 09:26 AM)
It's not like Kansas and Texas are magically going to suck. I'm talking about the overall strength of the league next year, in which you're looking at:

Kansas

Texas

Texas A&M

Mizzou

Kansas State

Baylor

Iowa State

Oklahoma State

Oklahoma

Texas Tech

If Tech or Oklahoma show any shred of improvement next year, it's one of the toughest top to bottom. And yes, Iowa State too, but I'm relatively confident that they will be improved next year :P - #16 ranked incoming class by someone when transfers are included.

Well no, but I don't know if Texas and KU are going to be major players next year though. It's going to be a solid conference but I just don't see it being as dangerous as the current year. And I hate Big Ten basketball but year in year out they seem to produce a NC contender. I guess I assumed you meant something different with the statement. I just don't see the power shifting so to speak from the Big East or elsewhere to the Big 12 next year. Hell, if anyone is going to be improved it's looking like it'll be the SEC.

Dear Mario Moccia

Please fire Chris Lowery 1 second after SIU loses the play-in game to Illinois State. 2 seconds is too long, and indicates indecision. Be firm.

Thanks

Concerned SIU fan

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 1, 2011 -> 08:47 AM)
The Big 10 is almost certainly going to be worse next year than it is this year. Unless OSU gets insanely lucky and Sullinger comes back they are going to be much worse, even with Hummel Purdue will be worse, Wisconsin will be very good and the odds on favorite if Taylor returns but without him they are mediocre, MSU will likely be a bubble team, Illinois will have a ton of talent but I give up predicting how they will develop, Michigan should be solid, IU might be able to work their way to bubble status, Iowa will still be bad, Minnesota will be a bubble team at best unless their guards make miraculous jumps, NW will be mediocre, and PSU will be one of the worst major conference teams in the country.

Overall it may be worse, but there are alot of young players you are overlooking here at places like IU and Michigan that will improve their collective teams.

Sullinger and his Dad have both said he's coming back. OSU loses Lighty, Buford, Diebler and Lauderdale, but gains another solid recruiting class and another year from their current crop of star freshman. I wouldnt sleep on them next year, they have size in the front court, a couple of big wings and another dynamic PG. Any time you bring in 2 McD's AA players, you are getting play right away talent.

QUOTE (hitlesswonder @ Mar 1, 2011 -> 10:55 AM)
The Big Ten will be trash next season. It will be Ohio State, Wisconsin and Michigan that might be good...other than that I don't see much. Purdue loses Moore and Johnson...Minnesota will lose Tubby...Indiana probably needs another year to become good. MSU obviously has good recruits and a great coach but it will be hard to replace Lucas. Illinois is likely to be very bad...no point guard at all and multiple players trying to look good for NBA scouts...

You just have it out for Illinois dont you. The Illini will be very hard to predict, and they could be bad, but at the same time they will still have a ton of talent and if guys do make the sophomore to junior jump then they should be at least decent and with some production from the rooks they could be good.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Mar 1, 2011 -> 11:11 AM)
So Texas at their peak was by far the best team I've seen in the country this year. Now, they're doing their Rick Barnes thing again, how fun.

Makes no sense. They may just be metally weak.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 1, 2011 -> 10:54 AM)
Overall it may be worse, but there are alot of young players you are overlooking here at places like IU and Michigan that will improve their collective teams.

Sullinger and his Dad have both said he's coming back. OSU loses Lighty, Buford, Diebler and Lauderdale, but gains another solid recruiting class and another year from their current crop of star freshman. I wouldnt sleep on them next year, they have size in the front court, a couple of big wings and another dynamic PG. Any time you bring in 2 McD's AA players, you are getting play right away talent.

I'll believe Sullinger is coming back when I see it. He would just add to the long line of college players who say they are coming back and then go back on their word when they realize it is stupid to return to college when you are a first round pick. I agree that if Sullinger comes back OSU will be really good, if he isn't they are going to be mediocre. Amir Williams and Scott are good players with a lot of talent but frankly neither should be a McD AA based on rankings. Williams is 49 in the RSCI and Scott is 60 in the RSCI. Both could end up being big contributors right away but it is far from a sure thing for guys ranked around those spots, especially for Williams who is supposed to be a pretty raw big man.

Who am I overlooking? I said Michigan will be solid. They certainly aren't going to be great and the upside for that team is probably about a 6 seed. I gave IU credit and said they have a chance to be a bubble team. What has IU shown this year that tells you they should be more than that? Iowa may have some young players but outside of Basabe it isn't like those guys are all that talented. Purdue doesn't really have any good young talent. Illinois has a lot of talent but who the f*** knows what to expect out of those guys. MSU has one impact freshman in Dawson but the rest of those kids aren't supposed to be great contributors early on and MSU loses Lucas who has been by far and away their best player recently.

QUOTE (hitlesswonder @ Mar 1, 2011 -> 09:55 AM)

Tracy Abrams is a solid PG and is tied with OSU's McD AA PG in the RSCI rankings. Brandon Paul has actually been solid running the PG position in Big 10 play for the most part as well. I'm worried more about the development of the big men and how the team chemistry will be then the PG position.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 1, 2011 -> 12:19 PM)
I'll believe Sullinger is coming back when I see it. He would just add to the long line of college players who say they are coming back and then go back on their word when they realize it is stupid to return to college when you are a first round pick. I agree that if Sullinger comes back OSU will be really good, if he isn't they are going to be mediocre. Amir Williams and Scott are good players with a lot of talent but frankly neither should be a McD AA based on rankings. Williams is 49 in the RSCI and Scott is 60 in the RSCI. Both could end up being big contributors right away but it is far from a sure thing for guys ranked around those spots, especially for Williams who is supposed to be a pretty raw big man.

I dont think Mediocre is a good description at all. Even though YOU have no faith in Amir, he is the #2 C coming out of HS, he will play right away and is surrounded by 3 more 4 star players (including 38th ranked Scott) and another 6'9" guy (Williams #42, Ross #60, Thompson #51). This is also with the already good base of Craft, Thomas, a healthy Lenzelle, and Siebert. Without Sullinger they are still a big player for the conference title, and that alone is better than mediocre.

And since you are using RCSI as your indictaor

Thompson #40

Ross #41

Edited by RockRaines

No one will know what the Big 10 will be like until a few games into the regular season. I feel that Wisconsin is going to be weaker, but Jordan Taylor could prove me wrong. I think it could be a wide open year, and that any team could click and win it.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 1, 2011 -> 02:08 PM)
I dont think Mediocre is a good description at all. Even though YOU have no faith in Amir, he is the #2 C coming out of HS, he will play right away and is surrounded by 3 more 4 star players (including 38th ranked Scott) and another 6'9" guy (Williams #42, Ross #60, Thompson #51). This is also with the already good base of Craft, Thomas, a healthy Lenzelle, and Siebert. Without Sullinger they are still a big player for the conference title, and that alone is better than mediocre.

And since you are using RCSI as your indictaor

Thompson #40

Ross #41

I only use RSCI because a consensus of opinions is a much better indicator of a players true talent level than one rankings site. Amir Williams is ranked in the 70s on Rivals for instance. Mediocre might be the wrong term but while that team will be very talented it has a lot of question marks outside of Aaron Craft. Thomas has been awful in Big 10 play this year, I expect him to make a big jump (similar to Brandon Paul from last year to this year) but it isn't guaranteed. Siebert and Smith haven't played at all so who knows what to expect out of those guys and while OSU has a very good class coming in, it doesn't appear to be full of instant impact type guys like they have typically had under Matta. Outside of about the top 25 kids in the country, unless it is a particularly deep class like 2007, it is pretty hit or miss if kids make big impacts from day 1 (don't forget that guys like Diebler and Lighty who were highly ranked were awful as freshmen). If OSU is competing for the Big 10 title without Sullinger next year, it will most likely be because the Big 10 is down, not because OSU is a great team.

Edited by whitesoxfan99

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Mar 1, 2011 -> 02:20 PM)
No one will know what the Big 10 will be like until a few games into the regular season. I feel that Wisconsin is going to be weaker, but Jordan Taylor could prove me wrong. I think it could be a wide open year, and that any team could click and win it.

This is pretty much what I expect, I think the Big 10 is deep next year in that PSU will be the only truly terrible team, but unless Sullinger and Taylor stay in school there is a decent possibility there is not a legitimate top 10-15 team in the conference.