Official 2010-2011 NCAA Basketball Thread

Brian

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Sep 20, 2010 -> 02:16 PM)
What do you not get about what I'm saying? For the 2nd time, I never said the kid should lie to the NCAA. But, what is "sketchy" is how the picture came out - no one on Tennessee's side took it. Therefore, it was Craft's picture and he (or his Dad) turned it into the NCAA. That's low. Just go to OSU and do your thing. Don't try to get another school in trouble.

He's like the tattle-tale everyone hates in grade school. It looks like he went out of his way to tell the NCAA about his illegal visit. Let's say the picture was some random person's and the NCAA discovered it somehow. Then, if the NCAA came to him and asked about the picture, I wouldn't expect him to lie. But that doesn't seem to be the case based on what we know right now.

The irony here is just awesome.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Sep 30, 2010 -> 08:28 PM)
I literally LOL'd as I read that post. That guy (and the people at Tennessee) must not know the history of Bruce Pearl very well. Karma is a b****.

That guy? I guess you mean me...

Well, I think it's documented in previous posts that I do know the history since I grew up a huge Illinois fan (I probably know more about that football/basketball programs than most around here, including yourself). Quite honestly, all of my 7 uncles never let an opportunity pass to talk s*** about Bruce Pearl to me and how he majorly set-back the Illinois program that was on the verge of becoming great.

Furthermore, a lot of Tennessee fans do know about the Pearl-Illinois thing - at least all of my friends do and many others I've talked to. And while I admit that Pearl is sleazy (I've never argued against it), he's also my coach. So, yeah, I support him. Plus, he just wins. Actually, since Pearl was hired at UT, they've been a more successful basketball team than Illinois. Considering UT is a football school that has never really had an continued success in basketball, that's even more impressive. Anyway, I got off-track there a bit...

So, I stand by my original point in that I think the kid who likely turned us in to the NCAA is a b**** if he really did it. What Pearl did to Illinois 20 years ago was also a b**** move. Still, if Craft went to the NCAA about an illegal visit to Pearl's house (and I still think it looks pretty likely he was involved), it was incredibly immature and unnecessary.

I can't even begin to list all the illegal recruiting that goes on at every school when they have recruits visit. And when a kid finally signs with a school, he doesn't rat out other schools that recruited him. You just don't do that.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Sep 30, 2010 -> 11:40 PM)

Well, I think it's documented in previous posts that I do know the history since I grew up a huge Illinois fan (I probably know more about that football/basketball programs than most around here, including yourself). Quite honestly, all of my 7 uncles never let an opportunity pass to talk s*** about Bruce Pearl to me and how he majorly set-back the Illinois program that was on the verge of becoming great.

Furthermore, a lot of Tennessee fans do know about the Pearl-Illinois thing - at least all of my friends do and many others I've talked to. And while I admit that Pearl is sleazy (I've never argued against it), he's also my coach. So, yeah, I support him. Plus, he just wins. Actually, since Pearl was hired at UT, they've been a more successful basketball team than Illinois. Considering UT is a football school that has never really had an continued success in basketball, that's even more impressive. Anyway, I got off-track there a bit...

So, I stand by my original point in that I think the kid who likely turned us in to the NCAA is a b**** if he really did it. What Pearl did to Illinois 20 years ago was also a b**** move. Still, if Craft went to the NCAA about an illegal visit to Pearl's house (and I still think it looks pretty likely he was involved), it was incredibly immature and unnecessary.

I can't even begin to list all the illegal recruiting that goes on at every school when they have recruits visit. And when a kid finally signs with a school, he doesn't rat out other schools that recruited him. You just don't do that.

Bold point 1: Wrong.

Bold point 2: At least you realize it. I just don't get calling out a kid for being a b**** when his coach was a b**** as a grown man. It's pretty hypocritical to still support Pearl while you seem to hate the kid. But that's how fans are.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Sep 30, 2010 -> 11:27 PM)
Bold point 1: Wrong.

Bold point 2: At least you realize it. I just don't get calling out a kid for being a b**** when his coach was a b**** as a grown man. It's pretty hypocritical to still support Pearl while you seem to hate the kid. But that's how fans are.

Point 1: Ha, you may be right, especially now b/c I half-ass follow Illinois. But, I'll tell what: I had the Illinois Rivals account, read all the Illinois message boards, etc. for years as a kid. I would match my Illinois sports knowledge over the last 20 years with most

Point 2: The bolded point pretty much sums it up. While it is karma for this to happen to Pearl, I still hate that it did... particularly if we get some sort of post-season ban considering the recent success we've had.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Sep 30, 2010 -> 11:40 PM)

You are setting an awfully interesting standard here. It seems there is no line that can be crossed since he's "your coach." What if he paid every recruit a million dollars, or something even more ridiculous? I mean, he's your coach, after all.

There's nothing wrong with rooting for your team/school/program and not being supportive of the head coach.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Oct 4, 2010 -> 04:53 PM)
You are setting an awfully interesting standard here. It seems there is no line that can be crossed since he's "your coach." What if he paid every recruit a million dollars, or something even more ridiculous? I mean, he's your coach, after all.

There's nothing wrong with rooting for your team/school/program and not being supportive of the head coach.

Um, not really. I don't think being sleazy is a reason to not be supportive of a coach.

Has Pearl done some shady things in his career? Sure. But if he was caught paying players a million dollars, then yeah, he should be fired. Was it a shady thing to have recruits over to his house on unofficial visits? Yes. Is that reason enough to not support him as my coach? No.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Oct 4, 2010 -> 06:57 PM)
Um, not really. I don't think being sleazy is a reason to not be supportive of a coach.

Has Pearl done some shady things in his career? Sure. But if he was caught paying players a million dollars, then yeah, he should be fired. Was it a shady thing to have recruits over to his house on unofficial visits? Yes. Is that reason enough to not support him as my coach? No.

You aren't the guy at the gym wearing the fancy-looking Sox hat are you?

QUOTE (Brian @ Oct 4, 2010 -> 06:35 PM)
SIU not holding Maroon Madness this year. Odd. Maybe they want to wait to unveil the new arena to the public.

They're most likely not doing it because they know the attendance would be horrendous.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Oct 4, 2010 -> 05:53 PM)

Ding ding ding. I couldn't stand Sampson my freshman year, and refused to cheer along with everyone else when he was announced at each game.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Oct 11, 2010 -> 02:08 PM)
This is karma all the way for Pearl. It's sad though, that he has to cheat to win the Horizon League. It's the damn Horizon League for god's sake and you didn't even believe in yourself to get the job there?

Its the same reason athletes cheat. They want the big money, and they don't want to put the same time and effort into earning it. Coaches who cheat aren't any different.

There's a rumor from a well-placed Illinois source on their rivals page about how some former SIU players are going to talk to the media and/or NCAA in an effort to get the program in trouble. Rowand and company, are you guys hearing anything about this?

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 13, 2010 -> 11:19 AM)
There's a rumor from a well-placed Illinois source on their rivals page about how some former SIU players are going to talk to the media and/or NCAA in an effort to get the program in trouble. Rowand and company, are you guys hearing anything about this?

Not me, but if it put the nail in CLo's coffin, I wouldn't mind it. Probably Dillard and Booker, I'm guessing?

Can't believe how bad CLo has ran the program down.

Not sure what business it is of Illinois though.

QUOTE (Brian @ Oct 13, 2010 -> 11:50 AM)
Not me, but if it put the nail in CLo's coffin, I wouldn't mind it. Probably Dillard and Booker, I'm guessing?

Can't believe how bad CLo has ran the program down.

Not sure what business it is of Illinois though.

It has nothing to do with Illinois. One of the rivals guys posted that he heard rumblings that the NCAA was looking into Baylor and the other one posted he heard a couple of former players weren't happy with what went down at SIU and might talk to the NCAA.

Baylor and POS Scott Drew finally getting caught....

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegebasketball...sketball-101210

"I guarantee u if he does [commit to another school] he will be in Colombia for the spring and summer and next year. Don’t forget it,” the text said.

That other school would be Indiana, and this may just push the 5 star forward to the Hoosiers once and for all.

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 13, 2010 -> 11:19 AM)

I haven't heard anything and I haven't seen it on salukitalk so we will see what happens. If it's dillard and Booker they can go f*** themselves. They've done nothing to hurt the program to begin with.

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 13, 2010 -> 10:19 AM)

No. But I'm no longer living in Carbondale and don't have my connection in the athletic office anymore, so I don't hear as much as I used to. But nothing on the message boards at all.