Official 2010-2011 NCAA Basketball Thread

Brian

So your saying relying on Soph and Frosh arent young guys?

Im perplexed.

When your relying on multiple Soph/Frosh to be contributors, I consider that relying on a lot of young guys. If they had 5 starters who were Seniors/Juniors, it wouldnt be relying on young guys.

As for which 4 Wisconsin will be better than?

Who knows, they could be better than MSU and Illinois, possibly even Purdue. They could be worse than all 3 too, I havent seen a game yet so its hard for me to try and guess at other teams at this point. Im just saying that when you look at the schedule and look at what Wisconsin has done under Bo Ryan, they have never finished worse than 4th. I personally feel they have one of their stronger teams this year, they will have a starting line up with only guys who have been in the program 3+ years.

The question is why do people think Purdue, MSU and OSU are so much better than Wisconsin?

Wisconsin split with each of them last year. They almost (not that it counts) beat Purdue 2x one of them without Leur.

Purdue and MSU did not get significantly better, so is it just name recognition?

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Brian @ Aug 31, 2010 -> 02:53 PM)
I keep hoping that Dillard and Book were additions by subtractions in a way, Fay will be consistent, Teague will be a beast, and Diamond will shine.

See what I did there?

Dillard I'll actually buy, Book I wont. Fay will never be a consistent basketball player, Teague will indeed be a beast and I have no clue about Diamond but I sure hope so.

Chris Lowery is still our coach. We suck.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Aug 31, 2010 -> 09:21 PM)
So your saying relying on Soph and Frosh arent young guys?

Im perplexed.

When your relying on multiple Soph/Frosh to be contributors, I consider that relying on a lot of young guys. If they had 5 starters who were Seniors/Juniors, it wouldnt be relying on young guys.

As for which 4 Wisconsin will be better than?

Who knows, they could be better than MSU and Illinois, possibly even Purdue. They could be worse than all 3 too, I havent seen a game yet so its hard for me to try and guess at other teams at this point. Im just saying that when you look at the schedule and look at what Wisconsin has done under Bo Ryan, they have never finished worse than 4th. I personally feel they have one of their stronger teams this year, they will have a starting line up with only guys who have been in the program 3+ years.

The question is why do people think Purdue, MSU and OSU are so much better than Wisconsin?

Wisconsin split with each of them last year. They almost (not that it counts) beat Purdue 2x one of them without Leur.

Purdue and MSU did not get significantly better, so is it just name recognition?

I'm saying a team lead by 3 seniors (who i think are 4 year starters, maybe 3), 2 sophomores that aren't typical sophomores because of the minutes they played, and a freshman that's a 5 star kind of guy....that's not a team with experience problems.

Purdue was a legit final four team last year before hummel went out. They lose kramer, who has a defensive stopper, but an offensive liability. And that one guard that played significant minutes last year (jackson? too lazy to look up his name, i just know he's short) played really well so I don't see that as being a big loss. MSU is the national runner up and lost no one and izzo just reloads every year. IMO those two are givens to be better than Wisconsin.

OSU gains the 5 star stud, but have a lot of question marks with the guard spots. Still, lots of talent.

Wisconsin has probably the best pure post player in the conference, but otherwise not much. As I said before, I expect them to be good, but I just don't think they'll be as good. They're ceiling isn't as high. They'll play typical Bo Ryan half court, ball possession basketball. I think with the talent those top 4 teams have, it's going to be about which team can run the other out of the gym.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Aug 31, 2010 -> 09:39 PM)
I'm saying a team lead by 3 seniors (who i think are 4 year starters, maybe 3), 2 sophomores that aren't typical sophomores because of the minutes they played, and a freshman that's a 5 star kind of guy....that's not a team with experience problems.

Purdue was a legit final four team last year before hummel went out. They lose kramer, who has a defensive stopper, but an offensive liability. And that one guard that played significant minutes last year (jackson? too lazy to look up his name, i just know he's short) played really well so I don't see that as being a big loss. MSU is the national runner up and lost no one and izzo just reloads every year. IMO those two are givens to be better than Wisconsin.

OSU gains the 5 star stud, but have a lot of question marks with the guard spots. Still, lots of talent.

Wisconsin has probably the best pure post player in the conference, but otherwise not much. As I said before, I expect them to be good, but I just don't think they'll be as good. They're ceiling isn't as high. They'll play typical Bo Ryan half court, ball possession basketball. I think with the talent those top 4 teams have, it's going to be about which team can run the other out of the gym.

MSU lost Raymar Morgan and Chris Allen. That is a lot.

I think with the talent those top 4 teams have, it's going to be about which team can run the other out of the gym.

Teams try and run Wisconsin out of the gym every year.

They gave up over 70 points in regulation 3 times last year. Against Purdue (60 and 66), OSU (43 and 61), MSU (54 and 49) and Illinois (58, 57 and 63). Like you said yourself they will run a typical Bo Ryan system. A system that does not allow teams to run them out of the gym. They are going to play slow and methodical and frustrate teams and players who want to run and are unwilling to match them in a half court game. It would be more convincing if you said that all of those teams had dynamic shooters and were going to have improved half court games to combat Wisconsin's style.

This is just my annual, Wisconsin will be better than what everyone has predicted. im sure that if you go in the past NCAA threads youll see similar posts of mine that came true more often than not. Im not predicting Big 10 champ, just 4th place. Wisconsin is one of the most consistent teams in the Big 10. I know that I am obviously biased, but they do it every year. Just saying theyd be the 4th best isnt going to far out on a limb here.

MSU lost Raymar Morgan who I always thought was one of their most talented, although inconsistent, players. Kalin Lucas is a solid player and Summers should shoot but I just think that they are going to be a team that splits with the better teams in Big 10 play.

MSU does better in tournaments because of their style of play. They like to run but are forced to play a lot of half court games in Big 10 play. When they get to the tournament they are able to both run and play half court. Add to that the focus on defense and rebounding (ie hustle) they make a lot of their own luck. I respect them, I just think that they will split with Wisconsin.

Wisconsin has a ridiculous record at home for whatever reason and it makes them finish higher in the standings.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Aug 31, 2010 -> 09:32 PM)
Dillard I'll actually buy, Book I wont. Fay will never be a consistent basketball player, Teague will indeed be a beast and I have no clue about Diamond but I sure hope so.

Chris Lowery is still our coach. We suck.

I think Booker leaving is a good thing too, he was a little baby. Either way no matter how we are this year I'll still be at every game. The new arena will be nice. The football stadium has already blown away all my expectations.

This ESPN story on Pearl is ridiculous. A "whistleblower" is someone who reports violations in their own organization. Pearl did not do that -- he alleged that violations occurred in a RIVAL program. That was not altruism. Moreover, the fact that Pearl's claims could not be substantiated make his efforts seem less like a crusade to cleanup basketball and more a way to achieve a competitive advantage. So, his getting busted is not ironic. It is in fact what one would expect from someone who will do whatever they believe is necessary to build a winning program. I find that interpretation of events a lot more plausible than the portrait painted here of a virtuous coach falling from grace.

I'm not an apologist for the Illinois basketball program either. I'm sure they were dirty. It's just galling that an ESPN writer has no clue WTF a whistleblower really is.

QUOTE (hitlesswonder @ Sep 10, 2010 -> 11:13 PM)
This ESPN story on Pearl is ridiculous. A "whistleblower" is someone who reports violations in their own organization. Pearl did not do that -- he alleged that violations occurred in a RIVAL program. That was not altruism. Moreover, the fact that Pearl's claims could not be substantiated make his efforts seem less like a crusade to cleanup basketball and more a way to achieve a competitive advantage. So, his getting busted is not ironic. It is in fact what one would expect from someone who will do whatever they believe is necessary to build a winning program. I find that interpretation of events a lot more plausible than the portrait painted here of a virtuous coach falling from grace.

I'm not an apologist for the Illinois basketball program either. I'm sure they were dirty. It's just galling that an ESPN writer has no clue WTF a whistleblower really is.

Its one of Tigers Woods girlfriends....

My guess here is that Pearl lied, then he lied again, then he found out from someone that the investigators knew he was lying, so then he "came clean". Whatever, he is probably going to get a slap on the wrist like these guys always do, and move on

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Sep 10, 2010 -> 10:45 PM)
Thanks for playing, Bruce Pearl. Hope the Vols fans love that.

Yeah, I'm not too worried. Bruce Pearl is the man regardless. Plus, you've got to be kidding yourself if you don't think cheating happens everywhere... even Illinois. He had too much contact with recruits - not the worst thing that could happen. At least he isn't paying players.

Also, I grew up a die-hard Illinois fan, but get over it. The Pearl/Illinois thing happened almost 20 years ago.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Sep 11, 2010 -> 11:17 AM)
Yeah, I'm not too worried. Bruce Pearl is the man regardless. Plus, you've got to be kidding yourself if you don't think cheating happens everywhere... even Illinois. He had too much contact with recruits - not the worst thing that could happen. At least he isn't paying players.

Also, I grew up a die-hard Illinois fan, but get over it. The Pearl/Illinois thing happened almost 20 years ago.

The ironic thing about the Pearl/Illinois deal is now Pearl is dealing with his cheating issue, and that story about the kid and the 200k from Kentucky the Sun Times reported is rumored to be sourced from Bruce Weber.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 13, 2010 -> 07:38 PM)
The ironic thing about the Pearl/Illinois deal is now Pearl is dealing with his cheating issue, and that story about the kid and the 200k from Kentucky the Sun Times reported is rumored to be sourced from Bruce Weber.

Not really, the only one who has rumored it to be from Weber is Greg Doyel who hates Illinois and has Calipari's dick in his mouth.

Edited by whitesoxfan99