The Manram Thread

hi8is

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Aug 31, 2010 -> 09:44 PM)
Was Manny coming in for relief or....? If we lost this game it was because we don't have a single pitcher in the pen who can get an out.

I am saying someone could argue that if Manny was playing over Kotsay, that we may have scored more than 4 runs, and then we would have won the game. Not saying it is the right excuse, just saying that someone would mention it. But because we won, Ozzie won't have to hear anyone say "Well, if you started Manny, you could have scored more runs".

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Aug 31, 2010 -> 09:48 PM)
I am saying someone could argue that if Manny was playing over Kotsay, that we may have scored more than 4 runs, and then we would have won the game. Not saying it is the right excuse, just saying that someone would mention it. But because we won, Ozzie won't have to hear anyone say "Well, if you started Manny, you could have scored more runs".

What if Pierre doesn't get doubled off, what if Q, AJ, PK or Rios knock in a RISP?

The only "what if" game you can play is "what if we had a pitcher in the bullpen capable of an out". A 3 f***ing run lead in the 9th against one of the worst teams in baseball should be enough, Manny or no Manny

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Aug 31, 2010 -> 10:12 PM)
What if Pierre doesn't get doubled off, what if Q, AJ, PK or Rios knock in a RISP?

The only "what if" game you can play is "what if we had a pitcher in the bullpen capable of an out". A 3 f***ing run lead in the 9th against one of the worst teams in baseball should be enough, Manny or no Manny

*facepalm*.....nevermind.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Sep 1, 2010 -> 02:48 AM)

Good. I'm glad we won't have to hear anyone say that, because it doesn't matter now.

We won.

Now Manny is rested for the day game. Oz made the right call, again.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 1, 2010 -> 03:54 AM)
You can reach correct conclusions through poor reasoning and illogical decisions.

That is what I don't get.

We won the game. We didn't need Manny. We have a day game after a night game. Manny is no spring chicken.

Ozzie made the right call. We WON and now he's rested.

Why can't some people give the manager credit for his decision? Winning the game proved it was the correct decision. When we lose, he made wrong decisions because the scoreboard says we LOST.

Now, Manny, who was on a plane all day, is allegedly refreshed and ready.

It's like some people think they will get an electric shock if they praise Ozzie when his moves work.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 31, 2010 -> 11:29 PM)

We won the game. We didn't need Manny. We have a day game after a night game. Manny is no spring chicken.

Why can't some people give the manager credit for his decision. Winning the game proved it was the correct decision.

It's like some people think they will get an electric shock if they praise Ozzie when his moves work.

Look Greg, the Sox made a big investment in acquiring Manny in terms of money, they have him for only a month. 31 games to be exact from when he officially joined the organization. With the Sox being down 4 games to the Twins and with such a short amount of time left, it just seems logical to put out the best lineup possible.

From what we have seen out of Kotsay this year, a tired Manny>>>>>>Kotsay. And really, he was just going to DH, and with already having alot of time off this year, Manny shouldve been ready to go. And for those who say "Manny doesnt take well to orders," well, hes with us for one month and he needs a new contract. Push him to play and he will, because he needs it. And if we burn a few bridges with him because of it, so what, we'll ride out the situation and say thanks ofr bein a big bat for us for a month and we can move on.

Yes, we won the game, but that doesnt mean it was the SMARTEST decision. Did it pan out? Sure. That doesnt mean Ozzie put us at a disadvantage compared to the alternatives.

Plus we're paying him something like $120,000 per game...kind of silly that he didn't let him hit in Lillibridge's turn.

As it played out, another insurance run there from a homer would have been nice. I know he hit one the night before, but I think most pitchers in baseball would prefer to face Lillibridge over Ramirez there.

I think with our current bullpen, no lead of less than 6 is safe.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Sep 1, 2010 -> 05:35 AM)
Look Greg, the Sox made a big investment in acquiring Manny in terms of money, they have him for only a month. 31 games to be exact from when he officially joined the organization. With the Sox being down 4 games to the Twins and with such a short amount of time left, it just seems logical to put out the best lineup possible.

From what we have seen out of Kotsay this year, a tired Manny>>>>>>Kotsay. And really, he was just going to DH, and with already having alot of time off this year, Manny shouldve been ready to go. And for those who say "Manny doesnt take well to orders," well, hes with us for one month and he needs a new contract. Push him to play and he will, because he needs it. And if we burn a few bridges with him because of it, so what, we'll ride out the situation and say thanks ofr bein a big bat for us for a month and we can move on.

Yes, we won the game, but that doesnt mean it was the SMARTEST decision. Did it pan out? Sure. That doesnt mean Ozzie put us at a disadvantage compared to the alternatives.

Like somebody posted many hours ago, a lot of teams sit guys the first day they arrive. Especially traveling all day. I mean would you have preferred he play tonight and sit tomorrow, cause he probably would have done one of the two.

There were good reasons for sitting Manny.

We won and he'll be rested tomorrow.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 31, 2010 -> 11:29 PM)

Why can't some people give the manager credit for his decision? Winning the game proved it was the correct decision. When we lose, he made wrong decisions because the scoreboard says we LOST.

Being on a plane is not tiring.

Winning the game didn't prove it was the correct decision, just as bringing in your worst reliever in the pen in a 1 run game with bases loaded and still getting out of it doesn't make it the "correct" decision. It is not as simple as "win=correct decisions made, lose=wrong decisions made" because the game still relies on players performing. It's not an intellectual exercise over which managers can make competent lineups or bull pen calls. You can make the wrong choice statistically and still wind up winning. Think of playing the lottery: the odds are stacked so heavily against you that it doesn't make financial sense to play, yet sometimes people do win.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 1, 2010 -> 07:10 AM)
''When I asked him how he felt, he didn't give the right answers,'' manager Ozzie Guillen said of his decision to give Ramirez a day to get acclimated.

Yep, he's fired up and can't wait to jump into a pennant race.

And you personally know what those answers were? From what was reported he was saying things like "I'll do anything they ask me to do".

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 31, 2010 -> 10:43 PM)
Good. I'm glad we won't have to hear anyone say that, because it doesn't matter now.

We won.

Now Manny is rested for the day game. Oz made the right call, again.

Ozzie didn't make a great call in sitting Manny. Yes, we won the game, but we won because AJ hit a 3-run homerun. Kotsay (who Manny would have been playing in place of) had nothing to do with the 3 runs that led to the Sox win. I'm not saying Manny would have created any more runs, but Kotsay certainly didn't.

As far as Ozzie goes, you can keep defending him and his sometimes idiotic decisions. Others on this board will call out Ozzie when he makes a bad decision. He's made plenty of bad decisions this year, and not playing Manny was another one...at least in my mind. So, let's agree to disagree.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Aug 31, 2010 -> 06:09 PM)
Yeah. Cowley the lead Drama Queen looking for a "scoop". Like he's breaking some story. Whatever. If you want informed, impartial reports watch the MLB Network. Not ONE mention as to Manny not playing as anything other than a baseball decision

by the manager. The Chicago media just can't wait to create some crap to generate interest and call the gulliable fanbase into controversy.

This is Ozzie imposing his authority. Nothing more nothing less.

I like your posts. You should post more.

That is all.

QUOTE (TitoMB @ Aug 31, 2010 -> 10:44 PM)
I'm sorry, but that is f***ing hysterical. Ahaha, I need to see this interview. Is there any video of it yet?

It was on CSN yesterday, maybe check their website?

The fact that Cora and Manny walked off laughing together is awesome. I think Manny is really going to fit in well, and hopefully he sees the task at hand and he and Ozzie become an incredible ass-kicking tandem and he hangs around next year as well.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Aug 31, 2010 -> 11:35 PM)

It's like having the right answer to a math question but no work shown. You might have gotten lucky with the result, but you didn't prove that you know what you're talking about.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Sep 1, 2010 -> 01:49 PM)
Ozzie didn't make a great call in sitting Manny. Yes, we won the game, but we won because AJ hit a 3-run homerun. Kotsay (who Manny would have been playing in place of) had nothing to do with the 3 runs that led to the Sox win. I'm not saying Manny would have created any more runs, but Kotsay certainly didn't.

As far as Ozzie goes, you can keep defending him and his sometimes idiotic decisions. Others on this board will call out Ozzie when he makes a bad decision. He's made plenty of bad decisions this year, and not playing Manny was another one...at least in my mind. So, let's agree to disagree.

Thanks, Pitt. Nice post. I don't mind agreeing to disagree.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Sep 1, 2010 -> 10:15 AM)
It's like having the right answer to a math question but no work shown. You might have gotten lucky with the result, but you didn't prove that you know what you're talking about.

I did that once way back in grade school for long division. Stumbling into the right answer doesn't mean you actually know what you're doing.

To my mind, the value in the Manny deal is that he gives a HUGE mental boost to a team that really needed it after the repeated bullpen meltdowns in late July and August. Judging by back-to-back rallies in the 8th and 9th innings, I think the deal has already shown itself to be of value. I think the SOX believe they can win again and catch the Twins, and that's half the battle. We've already seen a motivated, focused Sox team go on a tremendous tear. With Manny on the team, the chances of it happening again are much improved.

Plus, teams will pitch our guys differently with Manny in the lineup. And once he gets his timing back, Manny himself will start to rake.