Official Squared Circle Thread

I don't watch regularly at all anymore, but there are just so few personalities that stand out to me that aren't ridiculous or stupid. The Big Show's crowning moment and breakthrough comes against some schmuck named Cody Rhodes? When I see that guys like CM Punk and Cody Rhodes are the up and coming stars, I get upset. The only reason I watched was because of Triple H/Undertake and Cena/Rock.

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Apr 1, 2012 -> 10:03 PM)
I don't watch regularly at all anymore, but there are just so few personalities that stand out to me that aren't ridiculous or stupid. The Big Show's crowning moment and breakthrough comes against some schmuck named Cody Rhodes? When I see that guys like CM Punk and Cody Rhodes are the up and coming stars, I get upset. The only reason I watched was because of Triple H/Undertake and Cena/Rock.

Why do you get upset with Punk and Rhodes being the up and coming stars? Punk is fun to watch, both in the ring and on the mic. Rhodes is slowly coming into his own, but he is really young still. He may not be the star his dad was, but he isn't some schmuck.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 1, 2012 -> 10:19 PM)
Why do you get upset with Punk and Rhodes being the up and coming stars? Punk is fun to watch, both in the ring and on the mic. Rhodes is slowly coming into his own, but he is really young still. He may not be the star his dad was, but he isn't some schmuck.

I dunno, when I was a kid I watched The Rock, Undertaker, Triple H, Stone Cold Steve Austin, Mankind, Goldberg, NWO, DX, etc. I don't see any of that in a lot of these newer guys. I feel like Randy Orton could be a superstar but it doesn't seem like they give him the chance to. I also like Sheamus. Oh, and The Miz is freakin awful.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Apr 1, 2012 -> 10:26 PM)
I dunno, when I was a kid I watched The Rock, Undertaker, Triple H, Stone Cold Steve Austin, Mankind, Goldberg, NWO, DX, etc. I don't see any of that in a lot of these newer guys. I feel like Randy Orton could be a superstar but it doesn't seem like they give him the chance to. I also like Sheamus. Oh, and The Miz is freakin awful.

No offense bud but you have to watch regularly because your opinions on these guys are just wrong.

Punk is amazing, the Miz is fantastic on the mic and Cody is becoming one of the better guys in the business as well. Oh and Orton has been given the ball 47829292838329 times, he was Super Orton for a while there.

Anywho, besides the Bryan burial and Show-Cody the show was very fun, even Kane-RKO was damn good.

Lesnar tomorrow maybe?

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Apr 1, 2012 -> 10:46 PM)
No offense bud but you have to watch regularly because your opinions on these guys are just wrong.

Punk is amazing, the Miz is fantastic on the mic and Cody is becoming one of the better guys in the business as well.

Anywho, besides the Bryan burial and Punk-Cody the show was very fun, even Kane-RKO was damn good.

Lesnar tomorrow maybe?

Oh I totally understand that I have to watch regularly to form better opinions, but when I watch, this is what I see. And I know Miz is fantastic on the mic, but he's an idiot and was on the Real World, so he can kick rocks. I hate that guy. Awful, awful, awful. And an awful name too.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Apr 1, 2012 -> 10:48 PM)
Oh I totally understand that I have to watch regularly to form better opinions, but when I watch, this is what I see. And I know Miz is fantastic on the mic, but he's an idiot and was on the Real World, so he can kick rocks. I hate that guy. Awful, awful, awful. And an awful name too.

The Miz is Awesome. I'm glad they let him pick up the win tonight he needed it badly.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Apr 1, 2012 -> 10:55 PM)
The Miz is Awesome. I'm glad they let him pick up the win tonight he needed it badly.

Am I the only one that thinks Eve has been playing a really good heel character as of late?

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Apr 1, 2012 -> 11:06 PM)
Am I the only one that thinks Eve has been playing a really good heel character as of late?

Nope, I'm enjoying her. Plus I love her so it helps.

Edited by kev211

QUOTE (kev211 @ Apr 1, 2012 -> 11:10 PM)
Nope, I'm enjoying her. Plus I love her so it helps.

Ya it's weird, I never thought she was that great looking but the last few months I have fallen in love as well. Take Beth out of that tag match tonight and holy eye candy!

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Apr 1, 2012 -> 10:26 PM)

Also, watch some of the stuff this summer from CM Punk leading up to Money in the bank and after. You'd probably end up liking him a lot.

Background info: CM Punk became #1 contender for WWE title before the Money the Bank PPV. His contract expired that night at midnight(not really, but it did a few weeks after) claimed he was gunna win the WWE title and leave with it at the PPV etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Is9SdaC-X8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGjHeDuu8Xg...;feature=fvwrel

The Match:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1i1bkhDcIs

If you have time watch it, absolutely my favorite match of 2011. If not at least watch the last 10 minutes.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Apr 1, 2012 -> 11:46 PM)
Also, watch some of the stuff this summer from CM Punk leading up to Money in the bank and after. You'd probably end up liking him a lot.

Background info: CM Punk became #1 contender for WWE title before the Money the Bank PPV. His contract expired that night at midnight(not really, but it did a few weeks after) claimed he was gunna win the WWE title and leave with it at the PPV etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Is9SdaC-X8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGjHeDuu8Xg...;feature=fvwrel

The Match:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1i1bkhDcIs

If you have time watch it, absolutely my favorite match of 2011. If not at least watch the last 10 minutes.

Checking all this out now.

Heavyweight Champ totes around the old WCW belt. WWE Champ totes the WWE belt. This is why Vinny can make a match where the Heavyweight Champ can lose in 18 seconds, he doesn't really care about that belt.

A comment from a YouTube video of The Rock/Cena's fight:

We,the attitude era fans who have witnessed wwf's peak years knows there will never be another Stone cold or the rock and cena doesnt even deserve to be mentioned along with them.Those who havent seen all those especially today's fans who thinks Cena punk and others are the greatest in the wwe,Just ignore them,let them blabber.

Kinda sums it up for me. I just don't see the personalities and variety like there used to be. There's no one nearly as badass and evil and defiant as Stone Cold was. There's no one as legendary as Undertaker. There's no one as weird as Mankind.

Can someone kind of give me a rundown of which guys are popular and not? Are there any comparisons between the new top guys and the guys from the late 90s and early 2000s?

NOTE: Though I'm kinda liking how defiant CM Punk is. And he's from Chicago. After watching all these Cena/Punk stuff, I can't tell whether I like or hate either of them. I have mixed emotions haha.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Apr 1, 2012 -> 10:46 PM)
Anywho, besides the Bryan burial and Show-Cody the show was very fun, even Kane-RKO was damn good.

Lesnar tomorrow maybe?

This. Cena/Rock was hardly an great wrestling match but was fine. Ended the way I thought so both guys look rather strong. Cena just has no timing in there with Rock, or maybe in general.

I was shocked how into the Cell I got. Great storytelling. Finish was a little anticlimactic but what are ya gonna do? Looks like 20-0 is a nice round marketable number.

I was really upset they let Maria pin Beth. Just ugh. I was hoping for Beth to GlamSlam her and pin her. I know Maria had bad ribs, but than pin Kelly. Celebs pinning your regular stars is so stupid but they continuously do it.

I don't care for anyones or the WWE's reasoning. To do that to your World Champ was so dumb. Those two had decent matches last year for the US belt and Mania is known for its openers. Just disappointing.

Overall, best Mania since 24. Hope to see Lesnar tonight.

Oh, and I hated and ignored Eve, but as a heel b****, she is hot as sh*t.

Edited by Brian

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Apr 1, 2012 -> 11:15 PM)
Ya it's weird, I never thought she was that great looking but the last few months I have fallen in love as well. Take Beth out of that tag match tonight and holy eye candy!

Go to hell. Ha

And I can see where Soxfan is coming from. Wrestling is going thru a transistion phase right now, from big guys who dominate to younger more athletic guys. I may feel the same way if I peaked in once a year. Its funny to see guys say they grew up on the Attitude Era cuz I grew up on the early 90's where it felt and looked legit. I'm old. But not as old as The Critic. Phew

Edited by Brian

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Apr 2, 2012 -> 01:14 AM)
Ok, so I'm getting confused. There's heavyweight champion and a WWE champion? What's the difference?

The difference isnt much, they just like to have a champ on Smackdown and a champ on RAW.

I know what you are saying about liking the older wrestlers and not knowing the younger guys, but we are at a bigtime torch passing phase in WWE. That was pretty much the theme of this Wrestlemania, Jericho was pissed at CM Punk stealing his gimmick and wanted to teach him a lesson, Taker and HHH End of an Era, Cena facing Rock in a battle of generations, even Kane and Orton is a generational match. WWE is trying to bring up the new guys, but its hard to get people like you(casual watchers) to accept them because you remember RAW is WAR and the Monday Night Ratings wars.

Give CM Punk a chance, I am sure you will appreciate him if you watch him a little bit more.

BTW, while many people hated the Sheamus squash of Bryan, I thought it was a brilliant way to motivate Bryan and make him a more noticable star. That match wasnt going to be a highlight of the show, it was going to be an afterthought. Now they took the title from the arrogant champion and gave it to the newly babyfaced Sheamus(who also doubles as a impossible to defeat brute). I think it is going to lead into a good program with those two.

Soxfan1 seems to be the opposite of me....i stopped watching WWE for awhile because I was going to indy shows and the wrestling was 10x better...I started off watching both then after awhile WWE kinda started to annoy me, I was going to local shows (headlined by the likes of CM Punk, Daniel Bryan, and Evan Bourne) where the audience was 300 people tops and these guys put max effort into every match, then Id flip on WWE and it looked like these guys gave zero effort in front of thousands of people and that annoyed the crap out of me...I couldnt watch another main event featuring 2 guys that are gonna punch and kick the whole time (stone cold im lookin at you) when there were guys putting it all out there in front of 300 people getting paid way less than the guys on TV...It wasnt until Punk went to the WWE that I started watching again because I hoped this would be a start to something fresh and theyd get back to wrestling. The angles for awhile were still terrible, after ECW was gone it got a little better...The more guys like punk, danielson, and sydal were added the more I started to like WWE....Guys like the 3 above Cody Rhodes, Kofi Kingston, and one of my favorite workers out there Dolph Ziggler(who actually puts out max effort everytime hes out there) are the guys I wanna see out there...not stone cold and his predictable punch-kick-lou thess press-stunner matches (thats really all his matches were).....I'm hoping since Johnny L is in charge now and he had something to do with talent(whatever his title was) that he brings up more guys like these guys, guys like Seth Rollins, Dean Ambrose, and whatever Chris Hero and Claudio are being called down in FCW.....ya know guys that can actually wrestle

Couple of random thoughts on what I thought was an average WM:

- Taker and HHH literally didn't use the cell for anything in their match, I don't believe. Might as well have just been a no DQ match.

- I HATED the ending to the Cena/Rock match. I swear Rock has won half of his main events by countering his opponent trying to do the People's Elbow against him

- No big bumps throughout the night.

- I have no idea why they've booked Jericho the way they have since he returned. He comes back only to lose at the Rumble and at WM, and his gimmick has been pretty awful.

Jericho is already talking about taking more time off to tour with Fozzy. Its hard to book a guy and make him go over if he isnt around for an extended period of time. So now he is just helping put CM Punk into another stratosphere. Regardless of his gimmick, the match between the both of them last night was pretty awesome.

I agree the cell wasnt used, but at this stage in their careers I just dont see Trips and Taker jumping off the top. It should have been a normal match, no cell, but their WM history was in HiaC

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 2, 2012 -> 05:22 PM)
Jericho is already talking about taking more time off to tour with Fozzy. Its hard to book a guy and make him go over if he isnt around for an extended period of time. So now he is just helping put CM Punk into another stratosphere. Regardless of his gimmick, the match between the both of them last night was pretty awesome.

That's the thing, Jericho's done nothing since he got back to make himself seem like a "big deal". If he would have won the Rumble, it would have been a much bigger win for Punk in my opinion.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 2, 2012 -> 11:29 AM)
The highlight of the night might have been HBK's acting during the HIaC match. With that said, why did he superkick Taker only to then do a normal count on the pin attempt?

The entire match was bizarre with the microphone in the cage. Usually you just see them saying things to each other, you dont normally hear them talking to each other clearly. It was played out like a promo, not a match.

He superkicked him into a pedigree because they wanted Taker to be done, they knew he wouldnt stay down so they were trying to knock him out.

The three of them carrying each other out last night was a strange scene as well. They looked like real friends.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Apr 2, 2012 -> 01:54 AM)
Can someone kind of give me a rundown of which guys are popular and not? Are there any comparisons between the new top guys and the guys from the late 90s and early 2000s?

The two guys that are going to get a huge reaction right now where ever they're at, are Cena and Punk. Cena is the most over guy in the company(crowd is loud for him, whether boo's or cheers, mostly boo's now a days) and Punk gets a big face pop pretty everywhere. And ya, you'll have to watch Punk's full body of work and you'll be a fan, it's kind of hard not to be. He was a guy that had a huge online following but wasn't one of the E's biggest stars, then last year happened. Kev gave you a background there but the Summer of Punk was literally the best thing that happened in wrestling in years, it was awesome.

Besides Punk and Cena, Sheamus(though he bores the hell out of me) is extremely over as a face, and besides him the guys that probably get the biggest face reactions at this point are "goofballs" like Santino and Ryder.

As for heels, I feel like it depends on the day, besides Vicky Guerrero, a lot of heels get a face reaction at this point.