2010-2011 NBA Thread

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 20, 2011 -> 08:04 AM)
Blocks are a terrible way to measure defense. Getting beat to the basket and swating someone from behind doesn't make you a good defender.

Yes, but that seems to be why LeBron is regarded as a godly defender, because of his highlight blocks.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Apr 20, 2011 -> 11:59 AM)
Yes, but that seems to be why LeBron is regarded as a godly defender, because of his highlight blocks.

And I don't agree with that all. There are blocks you can make that make you a good defensive player, but getting your ankles broken, and then blocking a shot on the recovery doesn't make you a good defender. It means you can't keep someone in front of you.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 20, 2011 -> 01:04 PM)
And I don't agree with that all. There are blocks you can make that make you a good defensive player, but getting your ankles broken, and then blocking a shot on the recovery doesn't make you a good defender. It means you can't keep someone in front of you.

Early in the season, Derrick Rose was the first of those. By the 2nd half of the season, he was the 2nd.

No one noticed how we stopped complaining about how bad our defense at the guard spots was sometime around the turn of the year?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 20, 2011 -> 12:08 PM)
Early in the season, Derrick Rose was the first of those. By the 2nd half of the season, he was the 2nd.

No one noticed how we stopped complaining about how bad our defense at the guard spots was sometime around the turn of the year?

You think he has regressed defensively? I don't think that at all. He isn't great by any stretch, but he is better for sure IMO.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 20, 2011 -> 01:10 PM)
You think he has regressed defensively? I don't think that at all. He isn't great by any stretch, but he is better for sure IMO.

No, reread what I said. I was marveling at how much better DR1 was at keeping guys in front of him in teh 2nd half. Every guard and their grandmother was torching him in the first half, and suddenly in January I stopped complaining about our guard defense.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 20, 2011 -> 12:16 PM)
No, reread what I said. I was marveling at how much better DR1 was at keeping guys in front of him in teh 2nd half. Every guard and their grandmother was torching him in the first half, and suddenly in January I stopped complaining about our guard defense.

I guess I took your order wrong. I though you were saying he was a guy who could block shots, and now he was a guy who couldn't keep someone in front of him.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 20, 2011 -> 06:16 PM)

his number 1 obstacle as far as i'm concerned is getting around the screens, he's fast enough that one on one he can keep in front of guys enough, but once he can get around the screen then I think people will stop talking about his D. The nice thing is that I know he'll put all the effort necessary to become good at d.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 20, 2011 -> 12:26 PM)
his number 1 obstacle as far as i'm concerned is getting around the screens, he's fast enough that one on one he can keep in front of guys enough, but once he can get around the screen then I think people will stop talking about his D. The nice thing is that I know he'll put all the effort necessary to become good at d.

Yeah, that is the one hang up in his D I still see. He has gotten a lot better at keeping guys in front of him, he just needs to work on over/under/through the screens. Either that or Thibs has to adjust with the big man doing more than just showing on the backside of the screen.

Out of curiosity, did anyone else scream at the top of their lungs at boozer when he ran to give a screen for korver as drose was getting double teamed at mid court? God he is dumb. I like his attitude though.