2010-2011 NBA Thread

QUOTE (Felix @ Apr 18, 2011 -> 11:27 PM)

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 18, 2011 -> 11:27 PM)
Didn't Duncan get thrown out of a game once for laughing? Duncan is like the dude you hang out with just to study with. And use to help you cheat on an exam.

Sup :headbang

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (chw42 @ Apr 18, 2011 -> 11:19 PM)
What a cheap play by Price.

Smart play by Price, horrendous, horrendous officiating.

Bulls played like crap once again. Not much to worry about in this series but they seriously need to wake the f*** up and get going here. It's possible that going on the road might help, we'll see...

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Apr 18, 2011 -> 08:28 PM)
Well hooray for PER. Chris Paul is a damn good player but no he's not as good as Rose and anyone can throw any damn stat around at me, he's just not. Like Gage said, there's not one nba gm that would trade Derrick Rose for Chris Paul at this point, not one. Lets just say, that the Bulls would not have had the best record in the NBA this season if Chris Paul was their pg instead of Derrick Rose, no chance.

Every stat or metric favors Paul. It's simply not even close. Paul has been the better player. I love Rose, I love his explosiveness, I like the excitement he brings. At the same time, Paul is a better player than Rose overall. Paul has battled more injuries than Rose as well, he doesn't have the ability to take the punishment Rose does every night. Heck, I don't know any PG who can considering how strong Rose is. At the same time, Paul can simply do everything but score, better. That includes passing, court vision, defense, hell his efficiency field goal percentages and TS% are much better as well.

We're all Bulls fans here, and we love Rose. And if I were starting a team, I probably would take Rose unless we're taking them both at the same age. In the case, I'm taking Paul easily. Plus, his game shouldn't drop off as hard as Rose's when they leave their primes which means the longevity will be there with Paul. With guys like LeBron and Rose, I'm not sure.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Apr 18, 2011 -> 11:23 PM)
You don't see Rose that mad very often. Price clearly kicked his leg out and that's worth a foul call.

T's are based on reputation. Rose might have had a couple of Ts in his career, Howard has, what, 50 in the past 3-4 years?

You're right. An offensive foul call.

Next to the flop, that's probably the cheapest call in the league.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Apr 18, 2011 -> 11:46 PM)
Every stat or metric favors Paul. It's simply not even close. Paul has been the better player. I love Rose, I love his explosiveness, I like the excitement he brings. At the same time, Paul is a better player than Rose overall. Paul has battled more injuries than Rose as well, he doesn't have the ability to take the punishment Rose does every night. Heck, I don't know any PG who can considering how strong Rose is. At the same time, Paul can simply do everything but score, better. That includes passing, court vision, defense, hell his efficiency field goal percentages and TS% are much better as well.

We're all Bulls fans here, and we love Rose. And if I were starting a team, I probably would take Rose unless we're taking them both at the same age. In the case, I'm taking Paul easily. Plus, his game shouldn't drop off as hard as Rose's when they leave their primes which means the longevity will be there with Paul. With guys like LeBron and Rose, I'm not sure.

I love how you talk about Rose being able to take punishment that Paul can't yet you've determined that Paul is going to be better in the long term than Rose, that intrigues me.

Anyways, yes I'm a Bulls fan and the reason I love Rose so damn much is because he makes my team about as good as any player can. I've never cared for a player more than my team, hell...Mark Buehrle might be my favorite athlete of all time but if the Sox were able to even get a minor upgrade for him at any point of his career, I'd drive him to the airport myself.

Once again, you can throw all the freakin stats at me that you want, I really don't care, when I watch these two players play it's Rose be a good margin at the moment. I know it's cliche but he does what he needs to do to make his team win. He wasn't a shoot first pg his first two years in the NBA but with this team he has to be and that's why he is. I actually believe it'd really help out the Hornets a bit if Paul would shoot more instead of only taking 11 shots a game, when you're your teams best player, you have to put up more shots than that, especially when you're not working with a great supporting cast. And not to be a complete asshole but I wonder how you personally believe this team was able to win 62 games when you think Luol Deng is complete garbage, something has to give there. By the sounds of it, if it were up to you we'd have OJ Mayo and Ben Gordon running this team while Rose and Deng were somewhere else.

The Bulls would not have 62 wins or be the number 1 seed overall if we had Chris Paul instead of Derrick Rose. If I thought Paul were better than Rose I'd freakin tell you, it has nothing to do with Rose being on the Bulls, he's just a better player at this point.

Getting up at 3:30am makes it tough to stay up last night. Couldn't stay up and dozed off in 3rd.

It's a lot easier to fall asleep, wake up, and see your team won than going thru the stress of it live.

After reading through this, I apologize to nite for not getting the shoutout you deserve. (I guess it was the ol' Ben Gordon fascination that perplexed me when I forgot you are very good with talking basketball though you do have your flaws in some players' logic) You can have Rock's spot. :)

Looks like I missed a good game btw cause of work. Glad we got the dubya.

Edited by SoxAce

i am certainly willing to accept and use hollingers PER and other metrics when objectively evaluating a player, but can someone clear something up for me. Are these metrics actually vetted? I mean, with all the baseball metrics, countless people who are a heck of alot smarter than 99% of us have spent their careers researching these things. I'm not saying PER isn't helpful, but it seems that PER is just something Hollinger came up with? It doesnt seem as thoroughly investigated and proven as the baseball stats. Its very possible that I'm wrong (as I simply dont know nearly as much about basketball metrics as I do baseball) so I was wondering if anyone could tell me otherwise.

At any rate....I realize that these objective stats tell us that Paul and others have been better than Rose. My eyes tell me otherwise when I watch the game. I just don't how much weight to put into the former....its certainly less than with baseball stats.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Apr 18, 2011 -> 10:02 PM)
not sure why i should be surprised given the fact that he was excellent at every aspect of the game when he was on the floor, but I've been pleasantly surprised with Pippen as an analyst. He actually brings quite a bit to the table IMO

His voice drives me nuts, but he is supplying the intelligent analysis of plays and players that King does not. I love the trio. I know Stacey's thing is the catchphrases and the excitment, but the one weakness he has as an announcer is that there isn't any depth to what he talks about.

QUOTE (Real @ Apr 18, 2011 -> 10:35 PM)
Bulls will lose in the second round if this is indicative of how well they play against an 8 seed.

For some reason they have done this against bad teams all year long. I don't know why, but they don't take bad teams seriously.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 19, 2011 -> 07:37 AM)
His voice drives me nuts, but he is supplying the intelligent analysis of plays and players that King does not. I love the trio. I know Stacey's thing is the catchphrases and the excitment, but the one weakness he has as an announcer is that there isn't any depth to what he talks about.

I can't understand or best most of what he's saying... and anytime he's talking that means Stacey isn't.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Apr 19, 2011 -> 07:30 AM)
i am certainly willing to accept and use hollingers PER and other metrics when objectively evaluating a player, but can someone clear something up for me. Are these metrics actually vetted? I mean, with all the baseball metrics, countless people who are a heck of alot smarter than 99% of us have spent their careers researching these things. I'm not saying PER isn't helpful, but it seems that PER is just something Hollinger came up with? It doesnt seem as thoroughly investigated and proven as the baseball stats. Its very possible that I'm wrong (as I simply dont know nearly as much about basketball metrics as I do baseball) so I was wondering if anyone could tell me otherwise.

At any rate....I realize that these objective stats tell us that Paul and others have been better than Rose. My eyes tell me otherwise when I watch the game. I just don't how much weight to put into the former....its certainly less than with baseball stats.

Actually, this has been a major criticism of PER. It's just a hodge podge of efficiency metrics that Hollinger thinks are important. However, other, more widely accepted efficiency metrics, also pin Paul as the better player.

Efficiency isn't the be-all-end-all in basketball that it is in baseball, though. Someone needs to take the shots.

Interesting piece of information

The Mavs have a 2-16 record in playoff games officiated by Crawford, including 16 losses in the last 17 games. Dallas is 48-41 in the rest of their playoff games during the ownership tenure of Mark Cuban, who has been fined millions of dollars in the last 11 years for publicly complaining about officiating.

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nba/news/story?id=6388692

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 19, 2011 -> 11:47 AM)
Joey Crawford is the Ed Hightower of the NBA. He has to make the game about him and what he is doing. The guy just makes games go the way he wants

Then they pair him up with a female ref and it gets even s***ier

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 19, 2011 -> 12:46 PM)
Too bad there isn't an organized way of seeing who bet how much on each game. The sad thing is that with the NBA you have to ask that question.

Which is why I don't really watch it at all anymore and just stick to college. I was already disgusted but once the Sonics were stolen I pretty much completely gave up.