2010-2011 NBA Thread

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 21, 2011 -> 04:36 PM)
Guess which team Basketball-Reference.com thinks has the best defense in the NBA (By far)?

Not that surprising. When you have that type of length and athleticism and a defensive-minded coach it's to be expected. Although I will admit I didn't realize, according to BBR, of course, that they were that much better than everybody else.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 21, 2011 -> 05:48 PM)
Not that surprising. When you have that type of length and athleticism and a defensive-minded coach it's to be expected. Although I will admit I didn't realize, according to BBR, of course, that they were that much better than everybody else.

If they can get everybody healthy...that's what will be the difference between them and the Jazz in the postseason.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 21, 2011 -> 04:50 PM)
If they can get everybody healthy...that's what will be the difference between them and the Jazz in the postseason.

Wait a minute. I never compared the Heat and Jazz. I compared the Bulls to the Jazz. People can hate on the Heat all they want. But they've got two of the top 5 players in the game and another top 10 player in the game. They are special.

I disagree with the above assessment.

Id take more than 4 players before Wade, and the Wade/Lebron is just not a great combination as they both have similar games (you can see my posts on the heat through out the summer about this issue.)

Are you really taking Wade over Durant, Kobe, Lebron, Rose, CP3, Howard, etc?

Wade is a great player, but if I was starting a team, hes not one of my top 5 picks, and thats what I consider a top 5 player.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 21, 2011 -> 04:54 PM)
Wait a minute. I never compared the Heat and Jazz. I compared the Bulls to the Jazz. People can hate on the Heat all they want. But they've got two of the top 5 players in the game and another top 10 player in the game. They are special.

They have two perimeter players who are awesome defensively and can cover so much ground. Also, when they cheat on defense, they can recover better than most because of that size, speed, and athleticism. That's why I really don't see them not winning the championship. They honestly don't even need Bosh. I really don't think he adds much to that team.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 21, 2011 -> 05:54 PM)

You misread the site. They have the Bulls listed wayyyy above everyone else, not the Heat when it comes to defense.

EDIT: You were looking at the overall rankings, not the defensive ones J4L.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 21, 2011 -> 04:58 PM)
I disagree with the above assessment.

Id take more than 4 players before Wade, and the Wade/Lebron is just not a great combination as they both have similar games (you can see my posts on the heat through out the summer about this issue.)

Are you really taking Wade over Durant, Kobe, Lebron, Rose, CP3, Howard, etc?

Wade is a great player, but if I was starting a team, hes not one of my top 5 picks, and thats what I consider a top 5 player.

The injuries are what stops Wade from being in that top group for sure.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Jan 21, 2011 -> 06:00 PM)
They have two perimeter players who are awesome defensively and can cover so much ground. Also, when they cheat on defense, they can recover better than most because of that size, speed, and athleticism. That's why I really don't see them not winning the championship. They honestly don't even need Bosh. I really don't think he adds much to that team.

They're no doubt the front runners imo to win it all but there's no chance they'd win it with out Bosh.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 21, 2011 -> 05:03 PM)
The injuries are what stops Wade from being in that top group for sure.

I'm going to have to say I agree. He rebounds really well, plays the passing lanes as well as anyone, uses his size and strength as good as anyone. Only thing he's never developed is a consistent three ball.

The Heat have been woefully overmatched when Wade and James play without Chris Bosh.

No, this isn’t just a knee-jerk overreaction to the Heat’s overtime loss to the Atlanta Hawks on Tuesday night when the Heat played their first game without their 5-time All-Star power forward. That ugly defeat is just the latest piece of the startling season-long trend. According to Elias Sports Bureau, Wade and James have played 153 minutes this season together sans Bosh and here are the results on the scoreboard:

Heat 298 – Opponents 332.

That’s right, opposing teams have outscored the Heat by 34 points this season when Miami features two of the league’s top players in the same lineup. Translated to the scale of a regulation game, the Heat are getting trounced by a average margin of about 11 points every 48 minutes (93-104). For a comparison, the 8-33 Cleveland Cavaliers are currently averaging a score of 94-105.

Much longer article on this subject

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Jan 21, 2011 -> 05:17 PM)
I think they can. What does Bosh provide for them? Scoring that they can already get from two other players?

Rebounding and scoring for sure. That team is just garbage outside of the big 3. You take any of those 3 off the roster and they have 0 shot to win it all.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jan 21, 2011 -> 05:31 PM)
Rebounding and scoring for sure. That team is just garbage outside of the big 3. You take any of those 3 off the roster and they have 0 shot to win it all.

Scoring they don't need as they already have two awesome perimeter players who do better work than he does on the inside. If Wade and LeBron only had to worry about each other and not getting Bosh touches, I'm pretty sure they would've figured out how to play with each other. Post up Wade or LeBron, give them the ball, the other guy cuts. If the defender helps on the cutter, keep the ball yourself and make the play, if no defender helps, then pass the rock and let the cutter make the play. They're both good enough to run that all day in which they would just handle the other opponent.

Wade and LeBron are two of the better perimeter rebounders in the game. I'm pretty sure you can insert Kris Humphries into that lineup, he'll do the dirty work and the Heat would still be where they are at. It's pretty clear to me why teams didn't see Bosh as a max player, and it's because he isn't that good for a PF.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 21, 2011 -> 02:54 PM)

The Bulls are the team that is by far the best defensive team according to B-R. Not the Heat.

Note : Sorry, Rowand already posted it. But it was just filtered wrong with overalls so it had to be filtered for defense.

QUOTE (J.Reedfan8 @ Jan 21, 2011 -> 10:30 PM)
I personally still don't see them beating the Celtics in a seven game series.

I agree. Now if they can get an effective Haslem back by March as planned and Mike Miller stops doing his best Keith Bogans impersonation [he's actually been much worse than Bogans], then it's 50-50. But as of right now, they simply don't have enough around the Big 3 to beat Boston.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 22, 2011 -> 05:49 PM)
the bulls took the celtics to 7 games with a vastly inferior team and coach, and a rookie Derrick Rose. i think they could win a 7 game series against this older celtics team.

wasn't garnett out that year?