2010-2011 NBA Thread

I really have nothing against the Magic, it just really confuses me why this version of Orlando is considered so much better than this version of the Bulls by nearly every analyst around. Obviously it's not a big deal but it makes me that much happier when we defeat them.

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jan 29, 2011 -> 09:57 AM)
Should have used green font.

I was quoting Dbaho earlier in the thread, because the Bulls are currently top 2 in the East.

#2 in record yeah. If we can stay in that spot come playoff time I'll change my tune. I still wanna see us beat Boston & Miami when they're 100%. Call me a pessimist.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jan 29, 2011 -> 10:04 AM)
I really have nothing against the Magic, it just really confuses me why this version of Orlando is considered so much better than this version of the Bulls by nearly every analyst around. Obviously it's not a big deal but it makes me that much happier when we defeat them.

I would assume because it's the Bulls are 3-6 against Orlando since drafting Rose, and IIRC every loss has been in double figures.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jan 29, 2011 -> 11:04 AM)

The simple fact is, the Magic have earned that respect. They got to the Finals. Yes, they got trounced, but they've been at the top for years, they've won big series, and they've beaten teams they're not supposed to beat. On top of that, they've been beating the Bulls badly in recent matchups.

I'm not confused by it at all. The Bulls have to earn that respect. The Magic had to earn it before they got where they are now, and they still get a decent amount of razzing (for things like Howard's offensive game).

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 29, 2011 -> 10:21 AM)
Ok, I actually got angry when I read your post. Oops.

Come on Balta, you should know I'm a ridiculous homer.

With an actual SG, I could see the Bulls surge to #1 in the East if Miami's injuries linger and Boston slows down.

Chicago’s good-luck charm may have been backup center Omer Asik, who had an unusual box score line. Asik went 1-for-3 from the field in 16 minutes, but had 6 rebounds and two steals. In the time he was on the floor, the Bulls outscored the Magic by 17 points. In his 32 minutes on the bench, the Magic actually had an eight-point edge.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 29, 2011 -> 10:23 AM)
The simple fact is, the Magic have earned that respect. They got to the Finals. Yes, they got trounced, but they've been at the top for years, they've won big series, and they've beaten teams they're not supposed to beat. On top of that, they've been beating the Bulls badly in recent matchups.

I'm not confused by it at all. The Bulls have to earn that respect. The Magic had to earn it before they got where they are now, and they still get a decent amount of razzing (for things like Howard's offensive game).

Once again, that has nothing to do with these current teams. The Magic are much different than their finals team and the Bulls are much different than they've been. Not to mention, the top of the Eastern Conference this season is about a million times better than it was when Orlando got through it. Lets just say, there's absolutely 0 reason for me to believe that Orlando is better than the Bulls at this point.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 29, 2011 -> 10:39 AM)
Howard has pretty well dominated whether Joakim is around or not IIRC>

They really haven't played that much to be perfectly honest because of Noah's injuries. That being said, when Noah has been around, the last two games Dwight has had something like 13 and 9 points, certainly not dominating and certainly no 40 points.

Chicago’s good-luck charm may have been backup center Omer Asik, who had an unusual box score line. Asik went 1-for-3 from the field in 16 minutes, but had 6 rebounds and two steals. In the time he was on the floor, the Bulls outscored the Magic by 17 points. In his 32 minutes on the bench, the Magic actually had an eight-point edge.

How did Howard do while Omer was in?

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jan 29, 2011 -> 07:01 PM)
Once again, that has nothing to do with these current teams. The Magic are much different than their finals team and the Bulls are much different than they've been. Not to mention, the top of the Eastern Conference this season is about a million times better than it was when Orlando got through it. Lets just say, there's absolutely 0 reason for me to believe that Orlando is better than the Bulls at this point.

They really haven't played that much to be perfectly honest because of Noah's injuries. That being said, when Noah has been around, the last two games Dwight has had something like 13 and 9 points, certainly not dominating and certainly no 40 points.

Albeit it's definitely better now, but we still had to go through Boston and Cleveland, and that was without Nelson and with Skip to My Lou and Courtney Lee as our backcourt.

I'll give credit to the Bulls for the way they played defensively last night.

Over a 7 game series though, I don't see our perimeter guys shooting that badly as they did last night. No-one other than Dwight played well.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Jan 29, 2011 -> 01:38 PM)
Albeit it's definitely better now, but we still had to go through Boston and Cleveland, and that was without Nelson and with Skip to My Lou and Courtney Lee as our backcourt.

I'll give credit to the Bulls for the way they played defensively last night.

Over a 7 game series though, I don't see our perimeter guys shooting that badly as they did last night. No-one other than Dwight played well.

Boston minus KG, huge difference obviously.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jan 29, 2011 -> 10:04 AM)

I was interested to see if this version as better than the one who beat the Bulls by 30 earlier, and I was correct it wasn't. The other team with Lewis and Carter simply gave the Bulls fits with their perimiter shooting, tough match-up in length, and overall quickness than guys like J-Rich and Arenas.. Doesn't mean they are better players, it was simply just the match-up. I never wanted to play the Magic before just because of those those two and what a nightmare they are playing against us and of course you got that Howard guy thrown in.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jan 29, 2011 -> 04:21 PM)
I was interested to see if this version as better than the one who beat the Bulls by 30 earlier, and I was correct it wasn't. The other team with Lewis and Carter simply gave the Bulls fits with their perimiter shooting, tough match-up in length, and overall quickness than guys like J-Rich and Arenas.. Doesn't mean they are better players, it was simply just the match-up. I never wanted to play the Magic before just because of those those two and what a nightmare they are playing against us and of course you got that Howard guy thrown in.

I see you're Ace again. Just observation.

I used to dread watching games vs. the Magic, but I thought the trade made them worse against the Bulls and it seems I was right.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jan 29, 2011 -> 10:21 PM)

I think Richardson is an upgrade over Carter, at least on the break he is, albeit his numbers since the trade haven't been fantastic. He is definitely faster than Carter though, and doesn't need the ball in hands consistently like Carter did.

I agree about Lewis though, right now the Arenas for Lewis trade hasn't been a big win for either team. Arenas is dealing with arthritis in his knee, and hasn't been anything more than a league average backup PG at this point.

Hedo's the wildcard though, his play off the pick and roll causes fits defensively for teams like Boston, and last night was probably his worst game in a Magic uniform since the trade (2 for 12).

The main thing about Lewis though was that he would force Boozer to play on the perimeter defensively if he played at the 4. Maybe Anderson needs to get into the starting lineup for Bass.

Right now Orlando are only going to win if they improve a bit more defensively (which is a work in progress, but with Howard clogging and the middle and SVG coaching this I am confident in), and the perimeter guys hitting their shots. Last night we definitely didn't do the latter. Howard's no longer a concern because he's raised his game offensively this season.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Jan 29, 2011 -> 05:21 PM)
I think Richardson is an upgrade over Carter, at least on the break he is, albeit his numbers since the trade haven't been fantastic. He is definitely faster than Carter though, and doesn't need the ball in hands consistently like Carter did.

I agree about Lewis though, right now the Arenas for Lewis trade hasn't been a big win for either team. Arenas is dealing with arthritis in his knee, and hasn't been anything more than a league average backup PG at this point.

Hedo's the wildcard though, his play off the pick and roll causes fits defensively for teams like Boston, and last night was probably his worst game in a Magic uniform since the trade (2 for 12).

The main thing about Lewis though was that he would force Boozer to play on the perimeter defensively if he played at the 4. Maybe Anderson needs to get into the starting lineup for Bass.

Right now Orlando are only going to win if they improve a bit more defensively (which is a work in progress, but with Howard clogging and the middle and SVG coaching this I am confident in), and the perimeter guys hitting their shots. Last night we definitely didn't do the latter. Howard's no longer a concern because he's raised his game offensively this season.

J-Rich is a better player at this point yes, but Carter was more of a match-up problem for the Bulls (J-Rich is much more athletic and quicker in transition in the open court without the ball, Carter has a much better first step and ball handling with the ball). Not saying it's like this for other teams, since this new version Magic has beaten very good teams already, but the Bulls had a tougher match-up against the old Magic team because of Lewis/Carter spacing the perimeter and like you said, had guys like Boozer/Gibson guarding the outside with a guy like Lewis as a threat from the outside, which in turn, made Howard that much more beastly in the paint.