2010-2011 NBA Thread

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 30, 2011 -> 08:27 PM)
In 2004, I felt the same thing about Ben Gordon, then I watched that team force the ball to him game after game, and realized...you're so much better off if you run the offense.

If the offense regularly runs through Kobe Bryant, then you run that offense. Run a play, and convince him to give the ball up if needed.

There's a reason why Jordan didn't hit the last second shot until title 6.

He certainly had buzzer-beaters before that, but Jordan cared about winning the game more than anything. Hence why so many times (including for the winner in Game 6 of the 5th title), he'd draw the double, and dish off to a much-more wide open player like Steve Kerr for the game winner.

He did the same thing in 95 to Wennington in his 55 point masterpiece at MSG (as pointed out on the aforementioned Simmons podcast).

Jordan was a winner and did whatever was needed to win and didn't have that "hero mentality" that Kobe has that hurts his team.

(And please don't bring up Kobe's 5 titles when Shaq was the best player on the first 3 championship teams and the roster has been so bloated the last two that you can't call them "Kobe's teams").

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jan 30, 2011 -> 08:41 PM)
Cavs have lost 30 out of 31 and their one win was in OT. That is unreal.

LBJ had no help in Cleveland. Sure, he strong-armed most of those players to that roster, but still... no help.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jan 31, 2011 -> 12:42 PM)
I know it's not an addition for this year, but I would love for the Bulls to spend their mid-level exception on Michael Redd this free agency. Re-sign Big Sexy and think this team is about as good as you can reasonably make it.

Is he expected to ever really be effective again? He played 18 games so far this season, shot 35% from the field.

Also...it's possible there will be no such thing as a mid-level exemption this year or ever again.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 30, 2011 -> 08:27 PM)
In 2004, I felt the same thing about Ben Gordon, then I watched that team force the ball to him game after game, and realized...you're so much better off if you run the offense.

If the offense regularly runs through Kobe Bryant, then you run that offense. Run a play, and convince him to give the ball up if needed.

There's a reason why Jordan didn't hit the last second shot until title 6.

If I have a great post player that can shoot free throws, im going inside. Either they wont call a foul and he can bowl over the defender, you'll get 2 shots, or an and-1.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 31, 2011 -> 11:45 AM)
Is he expected to ever really be effective again? He played 18 games so far this season, shot 35% from the field.

Also...it's possible there will be no such thing as a mid-level exemption this year or ever again.

Agreed on both. Redd is done and so may be the mid-level exception.

So the Cavs are about to lose their 21st straight game tonight (down 15 in the 1st half to Miami, they aren't coming back). The record for consecutive losses is 24 (23 for a single season) and their next 4 games are:

Indiana

@ Memphis

Portland

@ Dallas

If they lose to Indiana we are probably looking at a new record for consecutive losses in the NBA.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 31, 2011 -> 08:10 PM)
Doubt he would be there when Bulls pick.

There's a possibility he'll be there but no thanks if he is. Now if he was 4 inches taller and could be a legit 2 guard in the NBA than I'd be all for it but that's not the case.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 1, 2011 -> 02:31 PM)
There is a whole lot of doubt to the NBA-ness of Jimmer. He could very well be a second round pick from the sounds of it.

Given the Bulls are going to be drafting in late first, I wouldnt mind taking a flyer on him. Outside of top10-15ish why not take a gamble in the NBA draft?

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Feb 1, 2011 -> 02:41 PM)
Given the Bulls are going to be drafting in late first, I wouldnt mind taking a flyer on him. Outside of top10-15ish why not take a gamble in the NBA draft?

We already have a guy that can shoot with the best of them and defend with the worst of them under contract for another couple of years.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 1, 2011 -> 02:55 PM)
We already have a guy that can shoot with the best of them and defend with the worst of them under contract for another couple of years.

Not to directly compare Stephen Curry and Jimmer Fredette, but Curry is only 6'3. Curry seems to be a bit quicker than Fredette, but if you can shoot and have good ball-handling skills, you will get some run.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 1, 2011 -> 02:59 PM)
Not to directly compare Stephen Curry and Jimmer Fredette, but Curry is only 6'3. Curry seems to be a bit quicker than Fredette, but if you can shoot and have good ball-handling skills, you will get some run.

Curry is lightyears more talented.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 1, 2011 -> 03:00 PM)
Curry is lightyears more talented.

People were kind of meh on him going into the draft though, I agree Curry is more talented but even if he is near Curry thats a good draft pick. Honestly when your drafting that late in the draft if you get any contributer to your team you did good.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 1, 2011 -> 02:31 PM)
There is a whole lot of doubt to the NBA-ness of Jimmer. He could very well be a second round pick from the sounds of it.

most mock drafts have him in the first round and as high as 20th. I think people who doubt him also had doubts about curry and reddick, but they both are very solid pros now. I would also like to point out that Jimmer is more athletic than people give him credit for. I have watched him twice and he definitely brings more to the table than shooting.

but yeah, like many have said, bulls are picking very late in the first round, assuming they don't trade the pick away at the deadline. i dont really see many impact players going that late besides a Jujuan johnson. taking a great shooter and a good ball handler as a combo guard, and who has a chance to be the next steph curry seems like good value to me.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 1, 2011 -> 04:11 PM)
The question you've got to answer is...who is a better fit around pick 25?

Which is obviously a fair point. At this point I'd take a chance on a guy with a bit of upside that can be a legit 2 guard in the league: Klay Thompson, Malcolm Lee, LaceDarius Dunn, someone like that.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Feb 1, 2011 -> 05:16 PM)
Which is obviously a fair point. At this point I'd take a chance on a guy with a bit of upside that can be a legit 2 guard in the league: Klay Thompson, Malcolm Lee, LaceDarius Dunn, someone like that.

I'd still be deeply disappointed if the Bulls were looking for a 2 guard in the draft (in the sense that I'd be disappointed if they realized they had a shot at a title right now and they didn't go for it in the trade market).

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Feb 1, 2011 -> 04:13 PM)
most mock drafts have him in the first round and as high as 20th. I think people who doubt him also had doubts about curry and reddick, but they both are very solid pros now. I would also like to point out that Jimmer is more athletic than people give him credit for. I have watched him twice and he definitely brings more to the table than shooting.

but yeah, like many have said, bulls are picking very late in the first round, assuming they don't trade the pick away at the deadline. i dont really see many impact players going that late besides a Jujuan johnson. taking a great shooter and a good ball handler as a combo guard, and who has a chance to be the next steph curry seems like good value to me.

There are a lot of people who doubted Adam Morrison too...

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 1, 2011 -> 05:27 PM)
I'd still be deeply disappointed if the Bulls were looking for a 2 guard in the draft (in the sense that I'd be disappointed if they realized they had a shot at a title right now and they didn't go for it in the trade market).

Right and that's why I said at this point, things can obviously change. That being said, Klay Thompson would be the absolute perfect fit at the moment, if he comes out and if he's around for the Bulls pick which are both very possible.

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 1, 2011 -> 05:28 PM)
Curry's a better shooter, but Jimmer is a much better driver and finisher. He'll go way before pick 20, IMO.

Curry is also a better passer which helped him adapt to the NBA pg position quicker than it might take Jimmer to.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 1, 2011 -> 05:29 PM)
There are a lot of people who doubted Adam Morrison too...

The only decent comparison of these guys is Curry and Fredette, Jimmer and Redick and Jimmer and Morrison aren't good comparisons at all.