Winter Meeting Buzz

Frank_Thomas

• Replies 841
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 09:19 PM)
I just ran our lineup through Pinto's lineup generator. I averaged Morel's major and minor league stats to try to clear up some massive sample size issues, but this is what i got.

You get 5.239 Runs per game from the order of Dunn, Konerko, Beckham, Quentin, Rios, Morel, Ramirez, Piersynski, and Pierre. This is bizzare and unworkable, but the logic is sound. The key to winning baseball games is about getting your best hitters the most at-bats.

Yeah, it really just comes down to maximizing the number of at-bats for your best hitters.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 03:15 PM)
Well I think he's only good if he's closing. If we couldn't get Putz or spend more on Soriano, then I guess Jenks would be alright for another run around at a cheaper price. I mean, who else is there? I just wish the thick lump would take his weight more seriously and come back next year in better shape.

If Bobby came back, I'd want him to come back at a below-market deal...so that I know he's actually coming back because he wants to come back. If that happened, that would tell me that his brain is in the right place, that he knows he stank last year, and that he knows he needs to put in the effort to correct it.

If he signs for like $2 million or less, sure. But really, that's my limit; he can be somewhat successful just as he is right now if he goes to the NL and doesn't work that hard, and some team should pay him $4-$5 for that.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 02:09 PM)
The same Cowley who said AJ was headed to Toronto, then edited his story. He signs with the Sox and was close to signing with the Dodgers. I wonder if when he talks about the "Sox players" he's speaking to, if he means Oney.

he hasnt broken new information all this offseason. He got his Dunn information from this site.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 02:36 PM)
Matt Thornton needs to give him a call and whisper sweet nothings in his ear.

I second this.

Maybe the Konerko talks with the D'backs was actually the D'backs talking to Putz. They do have the same agent.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 02:57 PM)
Just for fun, my ideal lineup would be:

Pierre

Beckham

Dunn

Konerko

Rios

Quentin

Ramirez

AJP

Morel

Mine as well. I like Rios breaking up Dunn/PK/Q with his speed. Also like Alexei at 7 to drive people in as opposed to 2nd where I feel Beckham is more suited provided he doesn't have a repeat of first half 2010

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 02:11 PM)
For those who said they would welcome Bobby Jenks back on a lot smaller deal, would you be confident with him closing? Ozzie has said if Bobby were to come back he would NOT be guaranteed the closer's job.

EDIT: fixed

As long as it isn't for more than say $3 million, I am fine with it. The arm is still there.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 03:39 PM)
Putz has also said playing for a team that has a chance to win will matter. Dbacks, not one of those.

Be smart though, if the D-Backs offer him the best money, and they fall out of the race next year, they're very likely to just trade him mid-season to a contender