Greinke traded to the Brewers

southsider2k5

Well here is the Yankees big chance.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/Zack-Gr...es-agent-121710

Zack Greinke wants to be traded, and the Kansas City Royals intend to grant his wish.

Greinke fired his agent on Friday, the clearest indication yet of the ace right-hander’s desire to be sent to another club.

MLB Buzz

HOT STOVE

Is an MVP-caliber trade in store for your team? Follow every offseason move. Read MLB Buzz Blog.

After Greinke switched representation from SFX Baseball to CAA, a high-ranking executive from another team told FOXSports.com, “He really wants out of K.C.” Separate major-league sources confirmed that Greinke has unequivocally asked the Royals to be traded.

Royals general manager Dayton Moore declined comment. But sources say the Royals, believing Greinke will pitch better in 2011 if he joins a team with a stronger chance to win right away, have discussed trade possibilities with numerous suitors.

Frustrated with losing, Greinke, 27, became disengaged from his team at times this year. One season after winning the American League Cy Young Award, his ERA increased from a league-best 2.16 to 4.17.

The Royals have finished with a losing record in each of Greinke’s seven big-league seasons. Only once did they avoid losing 90 games. The sustained losing — despite the presence of promising prospects on the horizon — is the primary reason Greinke no longer wants to pitch for the team.

But the Royals’ efforts to trade Greinke are complicated by the fact that he has a no-trade provision that allows him to block deals to 15 teams. The New York Yankees, Washington Nationals, Toronto Blue Jays and Milwaukee Brewers — all interested in acquiring a starting pitcher — are on the list.

While Greinke’s rationale for changing agents is unclear, he may have been drawn to CAA because of the agency’s work for Roy Halladay last offseason. Halladay then, like Greinke now, asked to be traded away from the only organization he had ever known, in order to have a better chance to reach the postseason for the first time. Halladay was dealt to Philadelphia, where he signed a $60 million contract extension and threw a no-hitter in the playoffs.

Casey Close of CAA is regarded as a direct and firm negotiator, according to executives who spoke with FOXSports.com on Friday. Close received a lot of recent publicity for his public stances on behalf of client Derek Jeter, who signed a three-year, $51 million contract with the New York Yankees earlier this month.

SFX negotiated Greinke’s current contract, on which two seasons and $27 million remain.

AOL Fanhouse first reported that Greinke had fired his agent.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But the Royals’ efforts to trade Greinke are complicated by the fact that he has a no-trade provision that allows him to block deals to 15 teams. The New York Yankees, Washington Nationals, Toronto Blue Jays and Milwaukee Brewers — all interested in acquiring a starting pitcher — are on the list.

Doesn't sound like the Yankees have a 'big chance' to me, he doesn't want to go there.

Edited by Ron

Agents and pitchers put big market teams on their no trade list so they get more money to waive the clause, King Felix has the top 10 market teams on his no trade list.

He has two years left on his deal and will probably ask for some sort of an extension to waive for teams, so it has to be a combination of teams with the money to extend and quality prospects to make the deal happen.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Dec 17, 2010 -> 07:17 PM)
Agents and pitchers put big market teams on their no trade list so they get more money to waive the clause, King Felix has the top 10 market teams on his no trade list.

He has two years left on his deal and will probably ask for some sort of an extension to waive for teams, so it has to be a combination of teams with the money to extend and quality prospects to make the deal happen.

Teahen and flowers? Perhaps daisies?

depending on what KC thinks of their prospects and who else with good prospects and not on his no trade list is bidding, I could see the Cubs trying hard for him... he's affordable for 2 years and a lot of those bad contracts are coming off the books as the years pass... now, mixing him with a big market and a lot of pressure and a nut-ball like Zambrano as a teammate might not be a spectacular idea, but possible.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 17, 2010 -> 07:29 PM)
Thing is, if you believe sites like BA or Baseball Prospectus, they probably have the pieces to trade for him. Which is absolutely insane.

obviously would be completely insane, but depending on their cash flow, wouldn't they be better off getting some form of impact bat?

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Dec 17, 2010 -> 07:31 PM)
obviously would be completely insane, but depending on their cash flow, wouldn't they be better off getting some form of impact bat?

That wasn't my point. There's no way they could afford him. I'm just saying as far as them being capable of putting together a package that would catch the Royals fancy. They've traded half their system away the last couple years.

with his personal issues i don't think the yankees will be too crazy over trying to get Greinke. Greinke needs to pitch somewhere where the stress level isnt that high. I believe he would get ate alive in the big apple, somewhere like Texas would be a perfect scenerio for him....they just lost Lee if they acquired him that would be a huge pick up for the Rangers.

QUOTE (beckham15 @ Dec 17, 2010 -> 07:37 PM)
with his personal issues i don't think the yankees will be too crazy over trying to get Greinke. Greinke needs to pitch somewhere where the stress level isnt that high. I believe he would get ate alive in the big apple, somewhere like Texas would be a perfect scenerio for him....they just lost Lee if they acquired him that would be a huge pick up for the Rangers.

They're looking at a rotation right now of Sabathia, Burnett, Hughes, Nova and Mitre right now. Other than C.C., that's an extremely questionable staff. Nobody knows what Pettitte's plans are. Combine that with what the Red Sox have done and I guarantee you they'll make a huge play for ZG if he agrees to go there.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 17, 2010 -> 07:43 PM)
They're looking at a rotation right now of Sabathia, Burnett, Hughes, Nova and Mitre right now. Other than C.C., that's an extremely questionable staff. Nobody knows what Pettitte's plans are. Combine that with what the Red Sox have done and I guarantee you they'll make a huge play for ZG if he agrees to go there.

they really have to, as you pointed out that rotation isn't very strong. Also, if they bring Pettite back, he has to be a front-line starter at this point, it's not like they can manage his innings and get him ready for the playoffs, they would need him to be strong to get into the playoffs as things stand now... if the Blue Jays can pull it off, it would be a major blow to the NYY

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 17, 2010 -> 08:43 PM)

If they give up that catcher Montero they probably have the ammo to get it done...but the issue is, they also want him in their lineup this year. So they'd wind up having to make themselves worse to do it at a different position, and Russell Martin isn't going to be an exciting option there right now.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 17, 2010 -> 08:43 PM)

i have no doubt the Yankees will probably make a push for him especially with what Boston has done this offseason so far.... I just dont know if that environment would be the best for success for Greinke...and hey im not feeling bad for the Yankees one bit this offseason...I hope the offseason snubs keep coming for them

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Dec 17, 2010 -> 08:47 PM)
if the Blue Jays can pull it off, it would be a major blow to the NYY

The question for any team like that is...if you give up a major young piece for a $10 million a year pitcher under control for only 2 years, can you actually win anything to make it worth it? Even if Bautista repeats his year, I'm not sure the Jays can.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 17, 2010 -> 07:48 PM)
If they give up that catcher Montero they probably have the ammo to get it done...but the issue is, they also want him in their lineup this year. So they'd wind up having to make themselves worse to do it at a different position, and Russell Martin isn't going to be an exciting option there right now.

I'm not singling this particular prospect out, hell he could be the next V-Mart for all I know and every team in the league's scouts agree on that, but I take NYY prospect trumpeting with a grain of salt because they're the Yankees. Not saying the org hasn't produced some wonderful players but there's also Joba updates we had to endure only because he was on the NYY.