white sox the mystery team for Adrian Beltre?

Eminor3rd

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Dec 25, 2010 -> 10:53 AM)
Steve Phillips mentioned that the Sox should go ALL IN and bring in Beltre 2 weeks ago on ESPN1000. He brought up JR's age and it may be a factor the next few seasons as he wants nothing more than 1 more WS title. Adding Beltre would make this lineup SICK! I'm not sure how much it will cost- but the fact that we offered Kerry Wood $6 million/ season tells me KW and JR are NOT done spending and want to continue to add to this thing as much as possible.

Sorry, but we offered $3.5 mill for one season.

Merry Xmas though!

QUOTE (knightni @ Dec 25, 2010 -> 11:00 AM)
If they can pawn off Teahen and Pierre on the Yanks in a Floyd for Gardner + prospects deal, I can see an offer being sent.

How can we trade Floyd with only 4 Starting Pitchers going to be active on opening day. What would this team be like with only 3 starters if we traded Floyd.

QUOTE (gatnom @ Dec 25, 2010 -> 11:05 PM)
With Pena and Sale as your 4th and 5th starters, you are going to really tax your bullpen.

Not to mention being an awful, awful team.

I hope last season is the last time I ever see Tony Pena start a game.

The infatuation with trading a starting pitcher this year is f***ing ridiculous.

Chris Sale has 33 IP under his belt as a professional. Any talk he would be just fine as a #5 starter is total speculation. He was great in his 23 innings of relief for the Sox in 2010. While there is reason to be optimistic he can be a good pitcher for the Sox going forward, to think he would be a real successful starter in 2011 is ludicruous. Another year in the bullpen isn't going to kill him.

ha whoops i probably misunderstood it as a 2/6 deal(my mind is usually altered when im on soxtalk so maybe it was even 3/6) , even at 3 mill you can get a good end of the rotation guy, good enough for 4th starter until peavy comes back and a solid 5th starter when he does. Didnt brandon webb just get 3.5?? If you can free up some cash in the yankees trade you could spend even more. Why isnt there more talk about Justin Duchscherer, is he still hurt or somethin?? I know hes injury prone and hes got depression issues, but how can you be depressed playing for ozzie and in a city that actualy cares about baseball lol. If hes not hurt hed be a great pickup. If he is hurt, which hes gotta be there are other guys that can be a solid 4-5 starter. The before mentioned freddy garcia of course, id love Jaime Moyer him and mark can learn a few things from each other, Brad Penny, Ben Sheets, and Chris Young all would do just fine as 4-5 and i think could be had for a good price, all also have the potential to be 2-3 starters.

I dont know anything about reegie corona, eduardo nunez, ramiro pena, or whatever they might have in the minors but it looks like they could use mark teahen as a utility guy so they might take the salary dump. Id much rather trade Ejax or Floyd but from the way some of the yankee fans over on nyyfans.com they really covet danks and we could get an absolute haul for him. They were saying Romine, Joba, Nova, and Bestances (i just took a shot at his name). After that trade and a signing of one of the guys above youd have a starting staff of Buehrle-Ejax-Floyd-Nova-and whomever they sign. Perhaps we could even swap out Romine and that stud minor league pitcher for Gardner. giving us Gardner-beckham-PK-Dunn-Rios-AJ-Lexi-Morel-Pierre. Getting Nova keeps Sale in the pen where we need him this year, and it also gives us a options for the 5th starter spot when peavy comes back, if novas doing better than the vet we sign then we just release/trade him, if the vets doing better, you can send nova to the minors or the pen and give him the vets or buehrles spot next year. Getting Joba and letting him close lets us have 2 rock solid leftys we could use in the 7th-8th in sale and thornton and then the righties in that pin would be Santos, Crain, Infante/Pena/Nova potentially when peavy comes back. If you dont get gardner and you get the 2 prospects you then get another guy to go along with flowers who could potentially be ajs backup, i dont know much about romine but it sounds like hes got the potential to be a stud, and then you get bestances (once again guessing on the spelling) whos got nasty stuff and could step into the rotation in a year or 2. I will s*** my pants if they can pull off this trade, either version, esp if they sign one of the vets i mentioned, even if the dont, a Burhrle-ejax-floyd-nova-sale rotation would do just fine.

Danks/Teahen for Joba/Nova/Romine/Bestances

Sign a FA 4 or 5 starter

Re Sign Andruw Jones

call it an offseason

1 Pierre

2 Beckham

3 PK

4 Dunn

5 Rios

6 CQ

7 AJ

8 Lexi

9 Morel

When peavys healthy

1. Buehrle

2. Peavy

3. EJax

4. Floyd

5. Vet

Mop up Nova

LHMR Sale

RHMR Santos

LHSU Thornton

RHSU Crain

Closer Joba

(the righties have the potential to be jumbled around)

then ya do work

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Dec 27, 2010 -> 11:36 PM)
I'm still a fan of not trading one of the best young lefty starters in baseball for an unproven package when we're contending for the Central, but hey, that's just me.

if we cant resign that young lefty starter then why not get a huge haul that sets us up very nicely for the future. In that deal youre getting the yankess #2,#4 and 8th ranked prospect in whats a pretty good minor league system and every guy potential fills in a spot we need or are gonna need in a year or 2.

AJs gonna be gone in 2 years, how nice would it be to potentially have Austin Romine in 2 years

The younger brother of infielder Andrew, Austin Romine was a two way player in the Buster Posey fashion, acting as his high school closer as well as everyday catcher. As you might expect, he has one of the best cannons to second of any catcher in the minors today. At the plate he has doubles power and an easy swing, which looks projectable to 20-30 homer power someday. He's quite a way away from Yankee Stadium, but he's a hard worker with enough raw talent to get there sooner or later.

While Nova is going to be a step down from danks you still get a solid pitcher whos a big time power pitcher who coop can mold into a potential 2-3 starter a year or 2 down the line, right now with peavy out hed be a solid 4 and a good 5 once peavys back.

A 2006 international signee who impressed scouts with a big fastball, Dominican righthander Ivan Nova has had a rocky road through the minor leagues, despite showing exceptional talent at all levels. His fastball can be a plus pitch with easy 94mph power, and his size and delivery give him good motion with a sinking two-seamer, as well. His curveball comes and goes in its effectiveness, but his changeup usually looks like a real plus offering. A combination of reports on poor work ethic and an inability to concentrate on the mound stops scouts from ranking him higher, but in terms of raw talent he should be a top tier contender. His time to make a big step forward is now, because if he continues to scuffle and underperform with his toolset, he'll be in the 'ex-prospect' bin by the end of 2011.

The write up (which are all from scoutingbook.com) looks pretty damn good minus the bolded text.

Bestances from what ive read/stats could be the best piece of this trade

With a WHIP under 1.00 and a scary-good strikeout rate, Betances has been one of the many weapons being sharpened in the Yankee labs. His lightning stuff has been sidelined a bit too often by minor injuries, sadly, and he underwent a bit of surprise surgery in late 2009 that could put most of his 2010 season in doubt. Still, he remains a high-ceiling if risky long-term asset: guys with stuff this wicked always seem to find their way onto MLB rosters sooner or later.

the 2010 season that was "in doubt" resulted in 17 starts with a 2.11 era/108ks/22 walks/85IP. those are some damn good numbers. He could probably jump into the rotation in 2012 if we dont get buerhle and ejax both signed.

Then you get Joba Chamberlin on top of it all, getting joba and letting him close allows you to have 2 lefties in middle relief which helps us this year.

this sets the rotation up a 2012 rotation of (lets say they dont resign buehrle) Peavy-Jackson-Floyd-Nova-Betances.... and Austin Romine as your starting catcher....and joba your closer.....If they know danks isnt gonna resign and this trade is an actual possibility (this is just a trade from a yankees message board) then KW would be stupid not take it. Danks keeps us a contender for 2 years, this trade(if everyone pans) keeps us a contender for a much longer time.

Edited by 2nd_city_saint787

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Dec 27, 2010 -> 09:36 PM)
I'm still a fan of not trading one of the best young lefty starters in baseball for an unproven package when we're contending for the Central, but hey, that's just me.

This. :notworthy

In a weird way, i think something like this makes sense. It has been mentioned before, but really I don't think we're actively pursueing a trade of one of our SPs, and by no means do I think we should and doing so to fix another weaknesses would be dumb. That said, if someone approaches us and says we REALLY want this guy I would have no problem with KW saying ok we want a sick package otherwise the answer is no. If you can get a Greinke ish type return (3 or 4 quality guys) for Danks wouldn't you have to consider it? I agree with the sentiment of trying to compete and Danks being at the forefront of that, but I also foresee his impending free agency and his lack of desire to sign an extension.

If the Yankees don't get Pettite to return wouldnt you listen if they called offering a nice package? realistically i think KW could ask for 2 of Banuelos/Betances/Brackman, and Sanchez/Romine + another low A type. While most wouldnt love this I think you'd have to see the plausability of it all... another guy for the "catcher of the future" tag, 2 high upside pitchers who arent far away (each of them is AA ish give or take a tad). Nova isnt happening as i think they are already counting on him as part of their already thin rotation.

The question then becomes one of a few: would the yankees gives more? is danks for a year and a draft pick or two more valuable? what's available in FA that year?

I think one thng to consider is that the yankees havent pulled the trigger on some of the high prices out there. They could've easily outbid the Brewers for Greinke since they have better prospects but choose not to. At this point it is all speculation, and in reality they do have a rotation in place with CC, Burnett, Hughes, Nova, and possibly Pettite. This really only becomes a question if Pettite doesn't come back.

QUOTE (Fantl916 @ Dec 29, 2010 -> 01:13 PM)
In a weird way, i think something like this makes sense. It has been mentioned before, but really I don't think we're actively pursueing a trade of one of our SPs, and by no means do I think we should and doing so to fix another weaknesses would be dumb. That said, if someone approaches us and says we REALLY want this guy I would have no problem with KW saying ok we want a sick package otherwise the answer is no. If you can get a Greinke ish type return (3 or 4 quality guys) for Danks wouldn't you have to consider it? I agree with the sentiment of trying to compete and Danks being at the forefront of that, but I also foresee his impending free agency and his lack of desire to sign an extension.

Nothing weird about it to me. There's only a few guys in baseball that are untouchable. Guys like Pujols, Felix and the man in my avatar. Danks is most certainly not untouchable. KW would be crazy not to listen and most certainly would listen to any legitimate offers for Danks.

If the Yankees don't get Pettite to return wouldnt you listen if they called offering a nice package? realistically i think KW could ask for 2 of Banuelos/Betances/Brackman, and Sanchez/Romine + another low A type. While most wouldnt love this I think you'd have to see the plausability of it all... another guy for the "catcher of the future" tag, 2 high upside pitchers who arent far away (each of them is AA ish give or take a tad). Nova isnt happening as i think they are already counting on him as part of their already thin rotation.

It seems to be a virtual lock that Pettite will indeed retire. I still can't imagine the Yankees going into April with a talented, yet totally unproven, SP in Nova and the garbage that is Sergio Mitre. The package you suggest would be outstanding and the type of haul that should require a 25-year old proven SP the caliber of Danks. I don't subscribe to an all-in theory. In fact, I'm starting to hate those words. A good organization looks well beyond the current or upcoming year when attempting to make transactions. If we kept Danks he certainly makes us better for 2011. But what about 2012-2013? Now IF The Sox and John can come to an agreement on an extension I'd rather not trade him. But the longer we wait, the more risk that comes with that. I read a piece from an article where Doug Melvin says there's no way he parts with the package he did for Greinke if he had only been under club control for one year. It was critical that he was locked up for two years. So if another year goes by and there's still no extension, the less likely we would be able to get maximum value should we decide to legitimately shop him.

The question then becomes one of a few: would the yankees gives more? is danks for a year and a draft pick or two more valuable? what's available in FA that year?

I think one thng to consider is that the yankees havent pulled the trigger on some of the high prices out there. They could've easily outbid the Brewers for Greinke since they have better prospects but choose not to. At this point it is all speculation, and in reality they do have a rotation in place with CC, Burnett, Hughes, Nova, and possibly Pettite. This really only becomes a question if Pettite doesn't come back.

That's a good question. The easy answer is to say Danks because he's proven and the prospects in question are unknowns at this point. And that's pretty much the truth. But that's what scouts get paid to do. Every player was a prospect at some point. You just have to be good at identifying who's legit and who's not. Easier said than done, of course. But it really comes down to that.

Beltre is reportedly close with the Rangers for almost 100 million smackers....

Evidently KW is the only GM that didn't get the "DEFENSE MATTERS" memo (and at the rate solid defenders are getting paid/overpaid, that might not be a horrible thing).