Catch All Anything Thread

kapkomet

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Mar 7, 2011 -> 05:19 PM)
Just tell them that if their kid isn't good enough then they should put in extra effort outside of practice and games to improve. You don't complain to teachers that their kid isn't doing well in a class if they aren't studying for it.

I think that happens a lot actually.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Mar 7, 2011 -> 04:19 PM)
Just tell them that if their kid isn't good enough then they should put in extra effort outside of practice and games to improve.

I try to be nice about it as I have a great group of kids and I certainly don't want to make any of them feel bad. That being said, everyone gets a good amount of time no matter what, the only real difference in playing time is the top 3 players on my team play most of the 4th quarter where as some of the weaker kids will only play 2 or 3 minutes in said quarter. I understand that all parents would like to see their kids in at the end of games but just as they think it's unfair that they don't play at the end of the 4th, it'd be just as unfair to my better kids if we weren't trying to win games.

QUOTE (G&T @ Mar 7, 2011 -> 05:33 PM)
I think that happens a lot actually.

I think that's sad.

But then again I grew up in a household where if I did bad in a class it was because I didn't do enough to prepare for it. Also, my parents would tell some teachers to make their class more rigorous lol.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Mar 7, 2011 -> 05:41 PM)
I try to be nice about it as I have a great group of kids and I certainly don't want to make any of them feel bad. That being said, everyone gets a good amount of time no matter what, the only real difference in playing time is the top 3 players on my team play most of the 4th quarter where as some of the weaker kids will only play 2 or 3 minutes in said quarter. I understand that all parents would like to see their kids in at the end of games but just as they think it's unfair that they don't play at the end of the 4th, it'd be just as unfair to my better kids if we weren't trying to win games.

Can't do much more than that. And there can only be 5 players on a court at a time, someone has to sit.

Keep doing what you're doing. That sounds just fine to me as far as how much playing time each kid is getting. I would have been ecstatic if I played that much in 5th grade. Instead, my jackass coach didn't play me in 8 of our 16 games. Yeah, I wasn't very good, but come on.. It's 5th grade basketball. Winning doesn't matter at all, but if you have a chance to win at the end and all of the kids have gotten decent playing time, then why not put in the best to finish the game.

Some parents are just stupid. I coached a summer AAU baseball team and I've just come to the actualization that some people are just never happy. We had a big kid who ended up going to the University of Kentucky to play infield and his dad would freak out if we EVER took him out of the game, regardless if we were up big. The day after he signed with UK, we were up by 13 runs in the top of the last inning so we pinch hit for the kid. His dad came in and pulled his kid out of the dugout and left because he said we were ruining the kids chances of getting any recognition. Some parents just take it to the extreme.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Mar 7, 2011 -> 04:11 PM)
Ha, the parent complaining for the last 3 weeks or so for my basketball team has definitely hit an all time high. 2 of the 3 last weeks have been real close games so I've played my best kids for about the last 6 minutes of each of those games and apparently that's too much. Everyone gets equal playing time for the first 3 quarters but in the 4th I try to win the game and I guess some parents don't like that.

Ruining youth athletics, one game at a time.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Mar 7, 2011 -> 04:19 PM)
Just tell them that if their kid isn't good enough then they should put in extra effort outside of practice and games to improve. You don't complain to teachers that their kid isn't doing well in a class if they aren't studying for it.

It happens a lot. Even better is when it happens with discipline. Apparently now it is the teachers fault that your kid doesn't know how to act in a classroom.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Mar 8, 2011 -> 10:39 PM)
Hawaii does seem to be the, er, . . . hot spot . . . for vulcanology. Git yer arse out there already.

I spent the better part of this evening making 200+ people toast to the work Pele has done over the past week.

QUOTE (Brian @ Mar 9, 2011 -> 10:25 AM)
My fridge is seriously hollow. Nothing but a bottle of mustard, half a thing of butter, and a couple of cups of yogurt. Worse is I don't have time to go to the store til Fri

What about trying this?

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Mar 9, 2011 -> 10:55 AM)
What about trying this?

And not go to the grocery store and deal with the rude people who stop in front of you or stand right in the middle of the aisles? Those who don't watch where there going with their carts or let their kids run all over? I would so miss that.

QUOTE (Brian @ Mar 9, 2011 -> 11:38 AM)
And not go to the grocery store and deal with the rude people who stop in front of you or stand right in the middle of the aisles? Those who don't watch where there going with their carts or let their kids run all over? I would so miss that.

Working in retail I deal with this everyday and it sucks to no end. Thank God we don't have carts.

QUOTE (Brian @ Mar 9, 2011 -> 11:38 AM)

Nowhere is worse than CostCo. Especially when they have all the food samples available. People wait and fight for those things like they have never eaten before.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 9, 2011 -> 01:49 PM)
Nowhere is worse than CostCo. Especially when they have all the food samples available. People wait and fight for those things like they have never eaten before.

This drives me nuts at Costco. It's as if people completely lose their manners when stepping inside the building. I know this happens to an extent everywhere, but it just seems so much worse there, especially considering the aisles are much wider than most stores.

QUOTE (smalls2598 @ Mar 9, 2011 -> 02:20 PM)
This drives me nuts at Costco. It's as if people completely lose their manners when stepping inside the building. I know this happens to an extent everywhere, but it just seems so much worse there, especially considering the aisles are much wider than most stores.

I went there for the first time a week ago and did a walk through. I plan to never step foot in one of those stores ever again. It felt like living hell.

I got a FB invite to another one of those stupid "no gas" days that never work.

I will actually be taking part in it simply because it falls on a Thursday. I don't get gas on that day. I do get it on Wednesday and Friday though.

I'll certainly show those evil oil companies!