Catch All Anything Thread

kapkomet

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I've had enough of winter. 1-3 inches of snow were predicted for today. Looks like we are getting closer to 8 inches. Since no one was prepared for it, no one was plowing. And it isn't even really snow. It more like falling slush.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Feb 15, 2011 -> 04:18 PM)
For those of you that went to see Daniel Tosh at the Chicago Theater, the opening comedian, Matt Fulchiron, is going to be at the Congress on the 24th. The guy is absolutely hilarious.

LINK

This wound up being pretty solid, especially for free. Fulchiron was OK. The guy before him, Jay Larson, was quite funny. Even bumped into Milkman and his crew.

So I got a summons for jury duty yesterday. I knew it was coming since they had sent me a questionnaire that I was forced to fill-out about a month ago.

One of the hardships to get out of it is if you are the “primary care-giver” of a child under 12 years old. Anyone know how they define that term?

I’m thinking I’m the primary care-giver because I make the money that pays the bills. If I have go to sit on a jury I don’t get paid. If I don’t get paid I can’t pay my bills.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Feb 25, 2011 -> 10:26 AM)
So I got a summons for jury duty yesterday. I knew it was coming since they had sent me a questionnaire that I was forced to fill-out about a month ago.

One of the hardships to get out of it is if you are the “primary care-giver” of a child under 12 years old. Anyone know how they define that term?

I’m thinking I’m the primary care-giver because I make the money that pays the bills. If I have go to sit on a jury I don’t get paid. If I don’t get paid I can’t pay my bills.

Don't worry, they pay you for jury duty. I got $12/day, $18 if you get selected.

Seriously though, if you tell the judge that, he/she may let you out.

Edited by Leonard Zelig

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Feb 25, 2011 -> 01:02 PM)
Don't worry, they pay you for jury duty. I got $12/day, $18 if you get selected.

Seriously though, if you tell the judge that, he/she may let you out.

At least in CA, it also depends on the likely length of the trial. They may think "we'll still put you on a 3 day trial" but they won't put you on a 3 week one. If you're the only income, the rules are a bit weird, but you can claim that as a hardship against long-term trials.

Also important...anything you're going to say, try to bring documentation. If you're claiming to be a student, bring a student ID card. If you're traveling, bring copies of the tickets and hotel reservations. If you're a caregiver, try bringing a tax form indicating that fact.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Feb 25, 2011 -> 10:26 AM)

Family hardship is an acceptable reason usually.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 25, 2011 -> 12:26 PM)
At least in CA, it also depends on the likely length of the trial. They may think "we'll still put you on a 3 day trial" but they won't put you on a 3 week one. If you're the only income, the rules are a bit weird, but you can claim that as a hardship against long-term trials.

Also important...anything you're going to say, try to bring documentation. If you're claiming to be a student, bring a student ID card. If you're traveling, bring copies of the tickets and hotel reservations. If you're a caregiver, try bringing a tax form indicating that fact.

I'm not the only income because my wife does work but if I lose a few days worth of pay it will really hurt.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 25, 2011 -> 12:27 PM)
Also, you should check with work to see what their policy regarding jury duty is, unless you're self-employed.

I already did. If I don't work, I don't get paid.

It wouldn't be so bad if I could at least take a vacation day or a personal day and still get paid, but I don't get those anymore.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Feb 25, 2011 -> 01:42 PM)
I already did. If I don't work, I don't get paid.

It wouldn't be so bad if I could at least take a vacation day or a personal day and still get paid, but I don't get those anymore.

Depending on the state, they probably will then take the length of the trial into account as a hardship, although I couldn't find a hard and fast rule in IL in simple Googling.

If you can bring your employers rules and perhaps a tax document showing a dependent, you're off to a better start than most people.

You might want to go crazy and really be ready to prove "Extreme financial hardship" by bringing a mortage receipt or something like that.

From what I was told, primary *care* is actually being in direct supervision of the minor. Basically if there is no one to watch a 0-12 year old, that's a major problem. Each judge kind of runs their court so for some the money thing is not a huge concern. If you make $50 per day or $500 per day, it is still a day off. Others understand that stress makes you a s***ty juror.

At least that what an attorney in Texas told me who argues cases in front of juries and teaches a jury selection class.