Catch All Anything Thread

kapkomet

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Feb 16, 2011 -> 07:23 PM)
Eminem has been pretty bad since the Marshall Mathers LP. Granted, that may be the best rap album of all-time.

And Biggie? Definitely not.

I'd probably go with Jay-Z number one, too.

He's had some stinkers (Encore, Relapse) but The Eminem Show and his latest album (Recovery) were incredible.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Feb 16, 2011 -> 06:23 PM)
Eminem has been pretty bad since the Marshall Mathers LP. Granted, that may be the best rap album of all-time.

And Biggie? Definitely not.

I'd probably go with Jay-Z number one, too.

I'm old, but I would go with someone like Ice-T for best eva.

QUOTE (Middle Buffalo @ Feb 17, 2011 -> 08:08 AM)
You would have been great at the Salem witch trials.

I remember hearing that to decide whether you were a witch or not they threw you into a river or lake. If you floated, you were a witch and were killed. If you drowned, you weren't.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Feb 17, 2011 -> 11:21 AM)
I remember hearing that to decide whether you were a witch or not they threw you into a river or lake. If you floated, you were a witch and were killed. If you drowned, you weren't.

That's because if you floated you were made of wood. Of course other things floated too, like apples, bread, very small rocks...and ducks! So logically, if she weighed as much as a duck it means she would float which meant she was made of wood and was a witch.

Eminem over Jay-Z? That is (imo) insanity. Renegade is one of my favorite songs and while maybe Eminem murdered Jay on his own song, that doesnt mean that overtime Eminem is better than Jay-Z. Personally I think Jay-z from Blue Print 1 & 2 are some of the best rap albums.

But at the end of the day arguing rappers is the equivalent of arguing who is better between Pink Floyd, Hendrix, The Beatles, Nirvana and Led Zeppelin. They are different styles so different people are going to rate one over the other.

I have personally never been a huge Eminem fan, I like him in small doses but not over an entire album. My 2 favorite songs that include Eminem are Renegade and Whats The Difference (Chronic 2001).

Its just how do I compare Outkast to Ice Cube? Both of them have different vibes and are good for different times.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 17, 2011 -> 04:04 PM)
Eminem over Jay-Z? That is (imo) insanity. Renegade is one of my favorite songs and while maybe Eminem murdered Jay on his own song, that doesnt mean that overtime Eminem is better than Jay-Z. Personally I think Jay-z from Blue Print 1 & 2 are some of the best rap albums.

But at the end of the day arguing rappers is the equivalent of arguing who is better between Pink Floyd, Hendrix, The Beatles, Nirvana and Led Zeppelin. They are different styles so different people are going to rate one over the other.

I have personally never been a huge Eminem fan, I like him in small doses but not over an entire album. My 2 favorite songs that include Eminem are Renegade and Whats The Difference (Chronic 2001).

Its just how do I compare Outkast to Ice Cube? Both of them have different vibes and are good for different times.

The only thing Jay-Z definitively has over Eminem is sheer volume, the fact that he's put out like a f***ing thousand albums, and except for ones like the Blueprint (the first one only) or the Black Album the recent ones aren't even all that great, but people will fawn all over it because it's Jay-Z and most other mainstream artists you hear on the radio are mediocre or just plain awful. He doesn't even try to make sense when he raps anymore either, he just says things that rhyme, and he pretty much just puts out albums because it's an easy way for him to make money and people will buy it no matter what. Then he says things like "would you rather be underpaid or overrated" ugh, just STFU, I hate hearing rappers say dumb s*** like that.

In terms of actual abilities (flow, delivery, lyrics/rhyme patterns, which you only see to their full extent in some signature songs like Renegade) Em destroys Jay, and most others, too. There are only a handful of other rappers that can do those things. Lil Wayne actually can which really pisses me off because instead of actually rapping to his ability he chooses to be wack and make stupid s*** like "Green & Yellow" and basically every other song he has on the radio.

It seems like when people are talking about Eminem here, in this thread, they're only talking about like his top 3 music videos like "The Real Slim Shady" and other silly over-the-top s*** he's made and not what he actually says on his full albums.

Edited by lostfan

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Feb 15, 2011 -> 05:18 PM)
For those of you that went to see Daniel Tosh at the Chicago Theater, the opening comedian, Matt Fulchiron, is going to be at the Congress on the 24th. The guy is absolutely hilarious.

LINK

I might be going to this. I see it's him and another guy that night. Do you think he'll be on second? Also, do you think we'd end up seeing the exact same act we did when he opened for Tosh?

QUOTE (knightni @ Feb 17, 2011 -> 04:59 PM)
Tip of the day:

Non-dairy powdered coffee creamer is highly flammable.

The machines that produce and package that stuff have all sorts of additional sealing and testing on them to make sure sparks from motors or other components won't blow the plant up. Same principle as grain silo disasters.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 17, 2011 -> 07:24 PM)
I've worked 52 hours since Monday. I'm tired and loads more to do...ahh the glamorous life of an accountant (and no, this has nothing to do with taxes), haha.

Every time I hear someone complain about work (I'm not saying you are complaining because obviously you are not), the conversation goes something like this:

Employed complainer: Man, work is killing me. I'm so tired. Blah blah blah

Me (unemployed): I'll trade job situations with you right now, just give me your job.

Employed complainer: Dude, no way.

Me (unemployed): Then shut the f*** up. You have a job and I don't but you don't see me walking around complaining about it. There are a lot of people out there right now that would love to be in your situation and they wouldn't whine about it at the end of the day.

lost,

Jay-zs output is his gift and his curse (like Snoop Dogg), they have produced so many albums that at this point even though they have a lot of great songs, they also have ones that unremarkable. Its pretty hard for me to pin down my favorite rapper, I generally have favorite songs that have rappers on them. I dont think every song can be an Atliens or Rosa Parks, I mean when you look at a group like Outkast they had their mainstream/pop "Hey Ya", but I cant blame them for wanting to make money.

Ive been thinking about it a lot and maybe my biggest problem with Eminem is that I generally dont love the songs he samples and a lot of what I hear comes off similar. For example, "Toy Soldiers" I used to listen to all the time and obviously Stan was pretty big one. I like diverse albums but that might be because I started listening around Dre's Chronic and the album was kind of like a mini show. You never knew who was going to be appearing on the album and many times the best verses were from the rapper who was just appearing (ie some of Eminem on Chronic 2001) on the album. Now that I think about it I probably listened to D12 a ton of times and for a while I couldnt stop listening to Proof's "Kurt Cobain".

But I think that just goes to show that depending on the mood/time/etc you may gravitate towards different artists/styles. Its hard to really decide, Im horrible at ranking things.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 18, 2011 -> 12:17 AM)
lost,

Jay-zs output is his gift and his curse (like Snoop Dogg), they have produced so many albums that at this point even though they have a lot of great songs, they also have ones that unremarkable. Its pretty hard for me to pin down my favorite rapper, I generally have favorite songs that have rappers on them. I dont think every song can be an Atliens or Rosa Parks, I mean when you look at a group like Outkast they had their mainstream/pop "Hey Ya", but I cant blame them for wanting to make money.

Ive been thinking about it a lot and maybe my biggest problem with Eminem is that I generally dont love the songs he samples and a lot of what I hear comes off similar. For example, "Toy Soldiers" I used to listen to all the time and obviously Stan was pretty big one. I like diverse albums but that might be because I started listening around Dre's Chronic and the album was kind of like a mini show. You never knew who was going to be appearing on the album and many times the best verses were from the rapper who was just appearing (ie some of Eminem on Chronic 2001) on the album. Now that I think about it I probably listened to D12 a ton of times and for a while I couldnt stop listening to Proof's "Kurt Cobain".

But I think that just goes to show that depending on the mood/time/etc you may gravitate towards different artists/styles. Its hard to really decide, Im horrible at ranking things.

That's fair enough, I don't expect people to agree with all of my opinions or anything but this is the first time I've gotten my s*** jumped in by several people at once for saying Em > Jay. lol. On another board I post on that's pretty much accepted as true. We had a thread where we tried ranking all rappers objectively. http://forums.armchairathletes.net/viewtop...6dee0190b58f241

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Feb 17, 2011 -> 08:05 PM)
The machines that produce and package that stuff have all sorts of additional sealing and testing on them to make sure sparks from motors or other components won't blow the plant up. Same principle as grain silo disasters.

Yeah, almost anything in a finely ground powder form will flare.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Feb 17, 2011 -> 06:32 PM)
It seems like when people are talking about Eminem here, in this thread, they're only talking about like his top 3 music videos like "The Real Slim Shady" and other silly over-the-top s*** he's made and not what he actually says on his full albums.

Other than a couple exceptions, the majority of Em's songs that are my favorites have NOT been his singles.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 17, 2011 -> 08:24 PM)
I've worked 52 hours since Monday. I'm tired and loads more to do...ahh the glamorous life of an accountant (and no, this has nothing to do with taxes), haha.

The last two weeks prior to this one I put in probably around 120 hours (65/55). Previously I had never had to work more than 50 in a week and never back to back. Sucked and definitely drained me as well but I do get paid overtime so when I get my check in a couple weeks it will make it worth it

Since 2001 is getting some mention here, Ill say Dre is probably my favorite of all time. Its just hard to differentiate him from his producing since he doesn't write a lot of his stuff and doesn't even appear on some songs he takes credit for. That said, his two albums are two in my top three of alltime. I can't wait for detox.

QUOTE (PeavyTime @ Feb 17, 2011 -> 08:37 PM)
Every time I hear someone complain about work (I'm not saying you are complaining because obviously you are not), the conversation goes something like this:

Employed complainer: Man, work is killing me. I'm so tired. Blah blah blah

Me (unemployed): I'll trade job situations with you right now, just give me your job.

Employed complainer: Dude, no way.

Me (unemployed): Then shut the f*** up. You have a job and I don't but you don't see me walking around complaining about it. There are a lot of people out there right now that would love to be in your situation and they wouldn't whine about it at the end of the day.

The Public firms are looking for people, in fact, they are downright hurting for people in some areas. The majority of the demand is at a senior level but they've started adding on summer internships. You can try reaching out to Deloitte Chicago, they might be in need. I know our office has hired a few people recently and we are bringing in at least one more to assist through busy season.

And despite the hours, I in some crazy way, like what I do, aahahhaa.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 18, 2011 -> 08:36 AM)
Yeah, almost anything in a finely ground powder form will flare.

Hey, that wasn't you wearing the White Sox hat and red jacket on campus today, was it? Don't see too many Sox hats around here, though I guess it could have been the same guy you saw in the TRECs that day you asked me about it, haha.