2011 Video Game Catch-All Thread

Kyyle23

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Jan 27, 2011 -> 04:44 PM)
My Xbox died again. 3rd time since getting it back in '07....

I may be taking my talents to the PS3.

that is pretty absurd.. the ps3 im using is the same one ive had since launch.. and ive used the heck out of it.. sometimes leaving it turned on for days at a time

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jan 27, 2011 -> 06:20 PM)
They're not gonna be the same thing, obviously.

Wasn't there a Sony NBA Game a few years ago where you could move your franchise team back and forth from PS3 to PSP?

That would be sick for sports games, though they'd have to do a bundle deal like Joe said.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/01/29/playstat...-ngp/#continued

Look at the NGP unveiling video #2, where the guy plays Uncharted.

The game uses everything in NGP's arsenal. You can use the touch screen to tell Drake where to go, use the back pad to climb things, take aim with the six-axis controls, and there's the normal game interface buttons and analog sticks.

The problem I have with touch screen gaming is how tough it is to play some of the games due to the fact that there are no buttons. The NGP gives you choices and everything looks so fluid. This thing is gonna change the portable gaming.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (flippedoutpunk @ Jan 27, 2011 -> 05:56 PM)
that is pretty absurd.. the ps3 im using is the same one ive had since launch.. and ive used the heck out of it.. sometimes leaving it turned on for days at a time

I had my PS3 that came out in 2007, until a couple of months ago when I got that stupid yellow light. PS3 would get really hot and just shut off. I had the 1st Gen 20GB with no Wi-fi too. I just don't get why 360 is more popular. It took Microsoft a really long time to finally put wi-fi into their systems. You have to pay to play online and no blu-ray player. You get more for your money with a PS3.

QUOTE (QuincyStandback @ Jan 30, 2011 -> 11:47 PM)
I had my PS3 that came out in 2007, until a couple of months ago when I got that stupid yellow light. PS3 would get really hot and just shut off. I had the 1st Gen 20GB with no Wi-fi too. I just don't get why 360 is more popular. It took Microsoft a really long time to finally put wi-fi into their systems. You have to pay to play online and no blu-ray player. You get more for your money with a PS3.

The PS3 got off to an abysmal start while the 360 was hitting full stride and cranking out games left and right. It was absurdly expensive at launch and they were being thoroughly hammered in sales for an extended period of time, then they finally had to drop the price to where they were losing money every time they sold a console (also at this time, Nintendo was slaughtering everyone else, but nobody gives a f*** about the Wii anymore because it's not a real gaming system). It's righted its ship right now, obviously, but they had such a big deficit to recover from that there are still more 360 owners than PS3 owners even with the debacle Microsoft had with all the hardware failures.

Edited by lostfan

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jan 30, 2011 -> 11:12 PM)
The PS3 got off to an abysmal start while the 360 was hitting full stride and cranking out games left and right. It was absurdly expensive at launch and they were being thoroughly hammered in sales for an extended period of time, then they finally had to drop the price to where they were losing money every time they sold a console (also at this time, Nintendo was slaughtering everyone else, but nobody gives a f*** about the Wii anymore because it's not a real gaming system). It's righted its ship right now, obviously, but they had such a big deficit to recover from that there are still more 360 owners than PS3 owners even with the debacle Microsoft had with all the hardware failures.

The first PS3's were costing Sony approximately $800 to make, I believe. They improved the design, and reduced the number of parts, to the point where they are about breaking even now, which is the goal with all consoles.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 31, 2011 -> 12:24 AM)
The first PS3's were costing Sony approximately $800 to make, I believe. They improved the design, and reduced the number of parts, to the point where they are about breaking even now, which is the goal with all consoles.

eh I should've qualified that statement. All consoles lose the company money at launch for the first year or two. Sony had a harder time coming out of the gate than they should have. I suppose for them it was worth it since they did win the format war (whether that is actually going to be that significant remains to be seen) by sheer blunt force.

Edited by lostfan

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jan 22, 2011 -> 07:24 PM)
I finally got around to finishing the first Assassin's Creed (Fallout 3, both Mass Effect games, and my Xbox going down got in the way). That game gets pretty f***ing hard towards the end what with those goddamn drunks pushing you and blowing your cover, the beggar women getting in the way, and taking 3 minutes to lose the guards when they're on to you. Now I guess I got to get AC2.

Yeah the drunks are a really annoying feature. AC is good because it's fun to be able to fight off 15 guards at once if you're good enough, but it's EXTREMELY repetitive. AC2 is light years better. They give you different stuff to do, it's not as repetitive and the combat is improved with a little more variety. I'm playing Brotherhood now. I'm not sure it's better than AC2, but it's at least as good. I kind of miss the old days of taking on 12 guys though haha.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jan 31, 2011 -> 04:57 PM)
Yeah the drunks are a really annoying feature. AC is good because it's fun to be able to fight off 15 guards at once if you're good enough, but it's EXTREMELY repetitive. AC2 is light years better. They give you different stuff to do, it's not as repetitive and the combat is improved with a little more variety. I'm playing Brotherhood now. I'm not sure it's better than AC2, but it's at least as good. I kind of miss the old days of taking on 12 guys though haha.

I just started playing AC2, the first AC was a decent game but this one is SOOOOOOO much better.

I lol'd at one of the opening missions though, at Lucy. "Desmond, SHUT THE f*** UP." You don't expect to hear her talking like that after the first game where she was getting bossed around.

I finally picked up a PS3, because my Xbox 360 ate my games, but it is an old 40 GB one. I was playing today and the fan started to go on and a yellow light started flickering. I know the yellow light thing=red ring of death for 360. Is my PS3 f***ed, or is it possible to save it? The system works at the moment.

Edited by Elgin Slim

QUOTE (Elgin Slim @ Feb 3, 2011 -> 10:12 PM)
I finally picked up a PS3, because my Xbox 360 ate my games, but it is an old 40 GB one. I was playing today and the fan started to go on and a yellow light started flickering. I know the yellow light thing=red ring of death for 360. Is my PS3 f***ed, or is it possible to save it? The system works at the moment.

I'm not 100% sure on this, but I think it's not the dreaded yellow light of death. The 40 gig looks similar to mine (the standard 120g one), and on mine there's a little yellow light that flashes any time it's accessing the hard drive. Given your system still works, I'd lean towards that answer. I think the only time you have to panic is if the power button light is flashing yellow.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE (Elgin Slim @ Feb 3, 2011 -> 11:12 PM)

I assume you are speaking of the tiny little light that flashes really fast. If you are, that's normal. Not sure what it means exactly, but it's always happened to mine too. I think it might be the HDD indicator, but I'm not sure.

If the spot where the PS3 is red (when off) or green (when on) turns yellow, then you have a problem.

Here I got this from Yahoo Answers....

"The little orange/yellow light that flashes next to the green one (green one means you are connected to internet) the yellow one means that you are accessing your HDD (hard disk drive) so that light will come up while you are listening to music, or playing a game. It is on almost all the time, since you are almost always getting data from the Ps3."

and

"i think it's like that HDD ACCESS INDICATOR cuz it always says to not turn the system off at that time and it always flashes"

QUOTE (Elgin Slim @ Feb 3, 2011 -> 10:12 PM)

Make sure your PS3 is in well ventilated area (not in a closed cabinet, or on the floor) and free of dust. It usually happens when your PS3 overheats. When that happens, just turn it off and unplug everything for a couple of hours. If you want, you can take the shell off the PS3 and clear out the dust and stuff. But i wouldn't recommend it if you don't know what you are doing. It happened to my 20GB a few times, but it worked after I followed those steps. Eventually, it kept happening to the point where it wouldn't turn on anymore and i had to buy a new one. I could have sent it into Sony but it would have cost $150+ to replace, so i just got a new one. If it is turning on and working right now you are fine, just make sure the fan isn't covered. A lot of the early PS3's overheat and have the same problem. Hope this helped.

Good Luck.

QUOTE (QuincyStandback @ Feb 4, 2011 -> 03:27 AM)
Make sure your PS3 is in well ventilated area (not in a closed cabinet, or on the floor) and free of dust. It usually happens when your PS3 overheats. When that happens, just turn it off and unplug everything for a couple of hours. If you want, you can take the shell off the PS3 and clear out the dust and stuff. But i wouldn't recommend it if you don't know what you are doing. It happened to my 20GB a few times, but it worked after I followed those steps. Eventually, it kept happening to the point where it wouldn't turn on anymore and i had to buy a new one. I could have sent it into Sony but it would have cost $150+ to replace, so i just got a new one. If it is turning on and working right now you are fine, just make sure the fan isn't covered. A lot of the early PS3's overheat and have the same problem. Hope this helped.

Good Luck.

Yeah, or you can take it in to a place in Chicago who will fix it for $50. Only thing is that they fix it, not replace the part, so it's just a temporary fix, but at least it allows you time to back up your harddrive and save all your game saves. Mine is going on over a month now on the their fix.

Assassin's Creed 2 is a pretty bad ass game, better than the first game in every way, but the climbing tall buildings and having to wrap around to find things to climb on is for the birds.

Also I'm not sure what it looks like on the PS3 when you get trophies, but I think my game had a glitch in it where right after I got an achievement, I got something in blue text that had similar words for my achievement right after. It only happened a couple of times though. maybe it was for the PC something the devs forgot to take out since the coding is more or less the same for the PC and 360? Just weird.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Feb 6, 2011 -> 10:51 PM)
Assassin's Creed 2 is a pretty bad ass game, better than the first game in every way, but the climbing tall buildings and having to wrap around to find things to climb on is for the birds.

You'll be glad to know that they've significantly reduced that in Brotherhood. The number of view points drops from 83 to 24. However, there is still a decent amount of climbing like that.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Feb 7, 2011 -> 02:33 PM)
You'll be glad to know that they've significantly reduced that in Brotherhood. The number of view points drops from 83 to 24. However, there is still a decent amount of climbing like that.

The climbing I'm fine with. It's when they make the climb take twice as long because you're looking for somewhere to hold and you have to keep rounding the corner to go higher. f*** that.