Viciedo to the OF

ChiliIrishHammock24

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ Jan 21, 2011 -> 11:44 PM)
too bad we still have TCQ and just gave him more money from arbitration

i have a feeling dayan might never be a starting player for the sox unless we flat out release quentin (his value is horrible because he can't play defense)

Viciedo is not ready to start in the majors. He is a good player and would have some success, but due to his lack of plate discipline, he would have extreme inconsistencies. Beyond that, he is not ready to be an outfielder. He may be more athletic and faster than Quentin, but from the sounds of it, he is completely incapable of playing the outfield at this point. Anything he added offensively would be compounded even moreso defensively and he would have negative value to the Sox. Beyond even that, Quentin DOES have value, and there would have been several teams willing to give up a solid, but not great, prospect for him this offseason simply due to his ability to be an MVP caliber hitter and the likelihood that he is worth more than -3 win shares as an outfielder this year. Finally, there is a very good chance that, if Quentin is mediocre all-around again this year, he will be non-tendered following the season which would open up a spot for Viciedo in RF, and Pierre is a free agent following the season, so it's also very possible that he is going to have a spot no matter what happens with Quentin.

I would say you have approached the ledge far too quickly on this one.

I definitely see Dayan starting the year in AAA and getting time in the OF. Depending on how Quentin, Dayan and the sox do, it could then lead to trading Carlos. The only way the sox would trade Carlos in season would be if they were out of it, Dayan showed ability in the OF, and Carlos could bring a decent return. But I'm not sure if Dayan could better Carlos' defense. I don't see a Rios, Dayan and Carlos OF in 2012. One of the two won't be with the sox after 2011.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Jan 22, 2011 -> 05:41 AM)
I definitely see Dayan starting the year in AAA and getting time in the OF. Depending on how Quentin, Dayan and the sox do, it could then lead to trading Carlos. The only way the sox would trade Carlos in season would be if they were out of it, Dayan showed ability in the OF, and Carlos could bring a decent return. But I'm not sure if Dayan could better Carlos' defense. I don't see a Rios, Dayan and Carlos OF in 2012. One of the two won't be with the sox after 2011.

If he can't, he has no point in the OF.

But finally this is confirmed.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jan 22, 2011 -> 01:18 AM)
Should have done this when he was with the Barons. In fact, I was pimpin that thought back then when I read Cubano's report about him playing there in Cuba (though sparingly) cause I loved what I read (and now seen) about his arm with average range.

He has good range for the infield, actually too much. I saw him cut in front of the SS way too many times to take a grounder.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 22, 2011 -> 10:23 AM)
The fact that we're moving him around so often is starting to get frustrating.

Well, there's nothing wrong with making him more versatile, but I see what you mean. I think it would be best for him to just DH in Charlotte in the interim to focus on refining his hitting.

Edited by JPN366

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jan 22, 2011 -> 11:25 AM)
Well, there's nothing wrong with making him more versatile, but I see what you mean. I think it would be best for him to just DH in Charlotte in the interim to focus on refining his hitting.

Bah, his hitting will come around, in fact he probably doesn't have that much to learn in Charlotte, it's the fact that we've spent 2 years and we still haven't gotten him used to a defensive position that bugs me.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 22, 2011 -> 10:26 AM)
Bah, his hitting will come around, in fact he probably doesn't have that much to learn in Charlotte, it's the fact that we've spent 2 years and we still haven't gotten him used to a defensive position that bugs me.

I know, but he does need to focus on plate discipline. Once he masters that, he will be scary.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jan 22, 2011 -> 11:28 AM)
I know, but he does need to focus on plate discipline. Once he masters that, he will be scary.

He'll get that in time. I'm sure you know he slowly improved in that as he sat at AA and AAA. When he got to the bigs, he was facing guys with better levels of control, and it caught him off guard.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 22, 2011 -> 10:30 AM)
He'll get that in time. I'm sure you know he slowly improved in that as he sat at AA and AAA. When he got to the bigs, he was facing guys with better levels of control, and it caught him off guard.

True. His best tool is his bat, I think that's what the organization should focus his development on. Just my opinion though.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 22, 2011 -> 04:26 PM)

That's on Dayan though-he's played 3b mostly in the minors-some 1b. Yet it's not like he's been ready defensively or offensively enough to stick in the bigs, and the Sox haven't found him a spot. If he can't play major league 3b defense, he doesn't have much value for the sox. But I still think it's early for the kid. If he can be serviceable in the OF, ala Quentin, he could still stick with the Sox.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Jan 22, 2011 -> 01:31 PM)
That's on Dayan though-he's played 3b mostly in the minors-some 1b. Yet it's not like he's been ready defensively or offensively enough to stick in the bigs, and the Sox haven't found him a spot. If he can't play major league 3b defense, he doesn't have much value for the sox. But I still think it's early for the kid. If he can be serviceable in the OF, ala Quentin, he could still stick with the Sox.

I know it's still early and he still has development time...but compare this reality to the hypothetical situation where we put him in RF immediately upon getting to AA. Instead of 2 years of bouncing between 1b and 3b, he could have had 2 years already playing RF, and by the end of this year, 3 years working on his RF defense. He could have been ready to replace Carlos Quentin this year if he got hurt, or next year if he's DFA'd. Instead, we need him to almost start from scratch.

Yeah, hindsight is 20/20, but still.