Viciedo to the OF

ChiliIrishHammock24

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 25, 2011 -> 02:55 PM)
Not a one besides that. He plays a good LF as long as he doesn't have to throw the ball more than 5 feet. Other than that, he's slightly better than Pablo Ozuna.

See, why can't JP be a soxtalk rallying cry like crappy ol' Pablo Ozuna? Kind of like a soxtalk mascot! Just because he makes many millions of dollars more? Pshh.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jan 25, 2011 -> 08:04 AM)
Last 5 years

2006: 162 G 58 SB 20 CS 74.3 SB%

2007: 162 G 64 SB 15 CS 81.0 SB%

2008: 119 G 40 SB 12 CS 76.9 SB%

2009: 145 G 30 SB 12 CS 71.4 SB%

2010: 160 G 68 SB 18 CS 79.1 SB%

Obviously he was not quite a full time player in 2008/2009 but the bolded of what you say doesn't really appear to be true. He had the most stolen bases of his career last year and stole at one of the higher rates of his career as well.

I never said his base stealing percentage was declining. Kind of meant he's getting older you can't expect many more years where he gives you so many stolen bases . I guess that means I was right on most of the other stuff I said about him and misinterpreted on the bolded.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jan 25, 2011 -> 01:56 PM)
I never said his base stealing percentage was declining. Kind of meant he's getting older you can't expect many more years where he gives you so many stolen bases . I guess that means I was right on most of the other stuff I said about him and misinterpreted on the bolded.

I don't disagree but we only have him for one more year. From all accounts he has an excellent work ethic and does not appear to have lost anything last year. So i wouldn't be too worried about a drop off this year. He's been pretty consistent throughout his career.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 25, 2011 -> 11:55 AM)
Not a one besides that. He plays a good LF as long as he doesn't have to throw the ball more than 5 feet. Other than that, he's slightly better than Pablo Ozuna.

Don't forget the B+ in hustle he posted last year and the A+ in acting like his weak points get over-shadowed by his good points.

• 1 month later...

New article up (He has shown up in better shpae and has been hitting better although the K's are still a concern):

Link: http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?sh...75&start=75

After leaving his native Cuba nearly three years ago and adjusting to a new country and culture, learning how to play right field might not seem that difficult for Dayan Viciedo.

The 21-year-old White Sox slugger continued his adjustment from the infield Tuesday when he threw out Ben Paulsen at home plate in addition to collecting three hits in a 9-8 victory over the Rockies.

"He's making it harder for a lot of people, no doubt," manager Ozzie Guillen said.

Viciedo made two impressive plays March 1 during his right field debut with the Sox and appears more comfortable with each game.

"There might be a few errors here and there, but that should be seen as natural because I'm relearning that position," said Viciedo, who occasionally played right field in Cuba.

Viciedo faces stiff competition for the backup outfield job, but he has more power than Alejandro De Aza, Lastings Milledge and Brent Lillibridge. He hit a combined 25 home runs with Triple-A Charlotte and the Sox last season, and the Sox hope he can make the transition successfully as Kevin Mitchell and Carlos Lee did early in their careers.

Guillen said Viciedo made his early success possible by reporting to camp in shape.

"I don't want to be known as the chubby boy," Viciedo said. "I want to be known as the strong guy. I worked hard at that."

The biggest test for Viciedo, who has played third and first base for most of his career, is relearning the outfield skills he developed in Cuba.

"The hardest thing is keeping up with the pitchers and what they are going to pitch to make adjustments during the game," Viciedo said. "You pretty much have to keep moving just to have scenarios of where the ball might land.

"The biggest difference is that when you play third base, on every pitch you have to be on point because something might be coming toward you. When you are in the outfield, you might get a fly ball every once in a while. You might have a dribbler coming out there. You are not as intense in your concentration."

Guillen tempered the suggestion Viciedo could push starting right fielder Carlos Quentin, adding Viciedo would benefit from staying at one position.

"He has had only a couple of years in baseball, and we moved him from third base to first base, first base to third base," Guillen said. "It's not easy. He has handled it very well. I hope he continues to play like that, and hopefully he (helps) us make the decision of what we're going to do. That's exciting."

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Mar 9, 2011 -> 08:40 AM)
You need your backup outfielder to have the capacity to play CF, and Viciedo clearly doesn't have the range for that. That's why it's Lillibridge versus De Aza versus Milledge for the last OF spot. I know I never wanna see Juan Pierre throw a ball from CF.

That is way most of us here are advocating Viciedo take the supersub (Teahen's) role LF/RF/3B can also play 1B and DH. Of course Teahen is still here there is no subject..

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Mar 9, 2011 -> 09:06 AM)
That is way most of us here are advocating Viciedo take the supersub (Teahen's) role LF/RF/3B can also play 1B and DH. Of course Teahen is still here there is no subject..

I just feel that is counterproductive to his future. Teahen is gonna hit for a solid average, power and OBP and can plays solidly D all around except third. But that is where Vizquel comes in. I just feel like Dayan needs to play everyday in the OF and get everyday at-bats to work on his patience.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Mar 9, 2011 -> 10:59 AM)
I just feel that is counterproductive to his future. Teahen is gonna hit for a solid average, power and OBP and can plays solidly D all around except third. But that is where Vizquel comes in. I just feel like Dayan needs to play everyday in the OF and get everyday at-bats to work on his patience.

If we plan on keeping him here, he needs to play somewhere everyday. The most likely opening for him is in the OF with both of our corners one and two years away from FA potentially.

QUOTE (since56 @ Jan 26, 2011 -> 08:07 PM)
I see Viciedo as 4th outfielder/dh for some other team.

If this team trades Viciedo it's nuts. I don't see it happending anyway. The fellow played in the OF in Cuba so it's not new. He also has played 1B and 3B. I see the potential here that Dayan makes this team because of his bat and his being adequate defensively and then they trade Teahan if there are any takers

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Mar 9, 2011 -> 01:27 PM)
If this team trades Viciedo it's nuts. I don't see it happending anyway. The fellow played in the OF in Cuba so it's not new. He also has played 1B and 3B. I see the potential here that Dayan makes this team because of his bat and his being adequate defensively and then they trade Teahan if there are any takers

For my two cents, it all depends on what we could get for him, and how this team starts off. If it is a final piece of the puzzle, or replacing an injury, that is one thing. If this team starts slowly and falls out of competition, there is no reason at all to trade him.

With the free agents we have coming up, I am all about winning this year.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 9, 2011 -> 07:47 PM)
For my two cents, it all depends on what we could get for him, and how this team starts off. If it is a final piece of the puzzle, or replacing an injury, that is one thing. If this team starts slowly and falls out of competition, there is no reason at all to trade him.

With the free agents we have coming up, I am all about winning this year.

Trade Quentin. Keep Dayan.

If Quentin has another "meh" year, he'll probably be non-tendered next winter. Viciedo then becomes our RF in 2012.

But given that Viciedo is a FA after 2012, there's most likely some urgency to get him into the lineup this year. So it's quite possible that Quentin could be dealt mid-season, depending on how he does and how much of his remaining contract Kenny feels comfortable eating.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Mar 9, 2011 -> 02:40 PM)
If Quentin has another "meh" year, he'll probably be non-tendered next winter. Viciedo then becomes our RF in 2012.

But given that Viciedo is a FA after 2012, there's most likely some urgency to get him into the lineup this year. So it's quite possible that Quentin could be dealt mid-season, depending on how he does and how much of his remaining contract Kenny feels comfortable eating.

Viciedo is under Sox control for 6 years.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Mar 9, 2011 -> 04:40 PM)

There's no out clause in Viciedo's contract, once it runs out after next year he'll still be a pre arb player. He's White Sox property for at least 6 more years and if he spends most of 2011 in the minors he'll be under Sox control through 2017.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Mar 9, 2011 -> 06:40 PM)

Based on other posters on this board, I believe he is not a free agent after 2012 because once we bring him to the big club, the whole arbitration thing happens. Maybe I'm wrong about that synopsis. I think we have him under control for longer than that, though.

Just curious, since I clearly don't understand his contract status very well either:

What's the point of signing him to a Major league contract vs. a minor league contract if both result in the same roster/team control conditions? Does it just sound nicer? Do we have to keep him on the 40 or something?

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Mar 9, 2011 -> 04:47 PM)
Just curious, since I clearly don't understand his contract status very well either:

What's the point of signing him to a Major league contract vs. a minor league contract if both result in the same roster/team control conditions? Does it just sound nicer? Do we have to keep him on the 40 or something?

A major league contract means he's immediately placed on the 40 man roster which means if he's going to be spending time in the minors for a few years you're going to burn through his options, some draft picks (Porcello, Andrew Miller) negotiate this into their first pro contract to get them to the majors and to free agency quicker. A minor league contract means he doesn't have to be placed on the 40 and can spend time in the minors without burning options, its far more beneficial to the club since they don't even have to think about putting the player on the 40 until they become rule V eligible 4 or 5 years down the line depending upon their age when signed.

If you sign a player to a minor league contract at age 18 he could spend upwards of 8 years in the minors (7 years if he's 19+) without having to pass through waivers, if that same player is signed to a major league deal it's a max of 3 years.