Official 2011-2012 NCAA Football Thread

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah, that was same-old same-old for IU last night. Solid offense, no defense whatsoever. Having Darius Johnson out really really hurt.

Do I expect IU to make a bowl game this year? Hell no. I'm thinking 4-8, 5-7. My general thoughts all along have been a lesser bowl starting in Wilson's third year (2013).

That said...losing to Ball State hurts.

Everyone knows (or should know) it's going to take awhile to turn this thing around, and this one game doesn't change that for me. Wilson has never been a Head Coach before (unless you count 1 year at a North Carolina high school), and he and his staff are going to have growing pains. Basically, I expected a 3-1 finish in nonconference, and 1-7 or 2-6 in conference. However, I thought the one loss would be to North Texas or Virginia.

This team and coaching staff has had zero game results to go in, and that's tough. The interesting part will be to see how they react and what changes they make.

Oh, and to Rock's comment about the radio show...Wilson never claimed he was going to walk in and bring us straight Pasadena. He and the entire coaching staff have been rightly saying it's going be a process. However, part of that process is changing that pushover identity, and that includes not allowing yourself to be treated as a doormat by radio hosts thinking you should be bowing down for having you on their show.

That said, Wilson knows that the best (and in the end, only) way to change that "loser" and "pushover" mentality is to win. But again, that's going to take time. It was actually interesting to see how different that team looked from last year. Should IU have beaten Ball State? Most definitely. But in some ways, I could see the positive ways that the team had changed from Lynch's tenure. The ways I couldn't see that were scary -- mostly in everything related to the defense.

Greg Heban still looks good though...I liked him from the moment he started playing last year. Really, really like him. He and the rest of the secondary were screwed since Wenning had so much time to throw.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Sep 4, 2011 -> 06:22 PM)
I'm not really a believer in Kevin Wilson, but that's me. It was a good hire on paper, but that doesn't mean he will succeed at IU.

My first thought was that I wanted a defensive minded guy, because that's always been IU's weakness. That said, he's done a lot of stuff right in terms of upping the strength and conditioning program and whatnot. I'm not saying he will succeed, but I think he's taken the right steps early on, and if he is to succeed, he must be given time.

man, we played our hearts out tonight. Defense couldnt stop anything between the 20s but they stepped up in the red zones to give us a chance. I'm encouraged with how this team played under these new coaches. A Randy Shannon coached team wouldve lost by 3 TDs tonight. That fumble at the end of the first half was just a killer.

Stephen Morris better be our QB against Ohio State.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Sep 5, 2011 -> 10:05 PM)
Well, I guess Tommy Rees it is. Dayne Crist seemed to have s*** himself. He hasn't played in like 10 months though.

Personally, I think Rees is the better fit for the offense despite not having Crist's arm. It's a timing offense, one that requires quick reads, quick decisions and accurate throws. Yes, Rees can't rifle a 20 yd out route, but I don't think that's a priority here as much as it is in the NFL.

With that being said, Dayne really got a raw deal. His running back fumbles on the 1 yard line after a beautiful opening drive and his WR (TJ Jones) drops a slant that hits him right in the #s for a TD right before the pick in the end zone. Basically gets yanked after that, and likely will never see the field again unless Rees completely implodes or gets hurt.

Now, like I said I think Rees should be the guy despite the lack of athleticism/tools but that's the shortest leash I've ever seen for a starting qb. You have the entire spring and summer to evaluate these guys, name a guy your starter after that evaulation period and completely go against all of that after 1 half of play? That makes me question Kelly's decision making, especially when it's eerily similar to Weis' insistence on using D. Jones as QB to open the season (and promptly yanking him) during Clausen's freshman year.

As for this week, Michigan is an extremely important game for the direction of this program. It's always a big one, but it feels even heavier this time around w/ND being 0-1 and the game being in primetime. I have no idea what to expect out of this team after the most odd game I've ever witnessed as an ND fan (between the 5 turnovers, the weather delays, odd penalties, sloppy play, etc). They could win by 30, lose by 30, or more likely it's going to come down to the last drive like it does more often than not between these two.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Sep 5, 2011 -> 11:05 PM)
Well, I guess Tommy Rees it is. Dayne Crist seemed to have s*** himself. He hasn't played in like 10 months though.

Though it'll probably be Rees, Kelly is not announcing until Tuesday at noon? So where did you hear this?

Edited by kev211

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Sep 6, 2011 -> 08:43 AM)
Although it was only UL-Monroe, FSU looked really good. Defense is strong, special teams are amongst the best in the country and EJ Manuel looked really good. Better than I expected. Reminded me a lot of a young Randall Cunningham. Can't wait for the OU game in Tallahassee in 2 weeks

FSU wins that game then they should be 12-0 going in the ACC Title game against VT.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Sep 6, 2011 -> 01:00 AM)
Though it'll probably be Rees, Kelly is not announcing until Tuesday at noon? So where did you hear this?

ESPN, Rees is in. If ND starts 0-2 with a loss against UM its time to ban them completely from any preseason rankings.

Looks like tomorrow is finally the day college football is turned on its head.

SEC is supposed to vote unanimously for A&M's entrance.

The next likely moves are...

UT, TTU, OU, Okie State to the Pac 12

Mizzou, Kansas, KSU, and Iowa State to the Big East

The only school left would be Baylor, and they aren't happy about it.

:lolhitting

QUOTE (danman31 @ Sep 6, 2011 -> 04:17 PM)
How does the SEC manage 13 teams and why?

I think we are just seeing the beginning of the movement once A&M gets it started. The issue would be that the Big East would have 20 basketball teams and 12 football teams already. If the SEC takes Clemson or VT from the ACC, where would the ACC turn? I also can't see the Big 10 expanding just to expand.

It's going to be an interesting September.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 6, 2011 -> 04:22 PM)
Any chance Baylor could wind up in the "Big 10"? (I only ask because Baylor is hiring and I'd love to have IU visiting every few years)

I don't see it happening, but weirder things have happened. They have good academics, and a good overall sports program. They just don't have many fans around. Their best bet would be pairing with TCU and joining the Big East. But Iowa State would be taking their place as of now.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Sep 6, 2011 -> 04:12 PM)
Looks like tomorrow is finally the day college football is turned on its head.

SEC is supposed to vote unanimously for A&M's entrance.

The next likely moves are...

UT, TTU, OU, Okie State to the Pac 12

Mizzou, Kansas, KSU, and Iowa State to the Big East

The only school left would be Baylor, and they aren't happy about it.

:lolhitting

So the football schools to the Pac XX, and the basketball schools to the Big East, pretty much. Except maybe KSU is more football.

Was this something you read somewhere, this configuration, or just your guess?

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Sep 6, 2011 -> 06:43 PM)
I think we are just seeing the beginning of the movement once A&M gets it started. The issue would be that the Big East would have 20 basketball teams and 12 football teams already. If the SEC takes Clemson or VT from the ACC, where would the ACC turn? I also can't see the Big 10 expanding just to expand.

It's going to be an interesting September.

It's gotta be VT to the SEC for the market.

I would suppose the ACC tries to cherry pick some of the Big East. Maybe go after a Louisville or Syracuse.

edit---I'll also throw in Pittsburgh as a team the ACC should focus on.

Edited by zenryan

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 6, 2011 -> 05:54 PM)
So the football schools to the Pac XX, and the basketball schools to the Big East, pretty much. Except maybe KSU is more football.

Was this something you read somewhere, this configuration, or just your guess?

Rumors that have been going around for a while, but have been picking up steam the last two days.