Official 2011-2012 NCAA Football Thread

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Sep 23, 2011 -> 06:50 PM)
We're not in the top half of the Big Ten? Again, we're talking THIS year. Of those 6 teams you listed, I'd say 2 are clearly better than us, that's about it. This year, Penn St, Iowa, OSU, and Michigan are not even close to "definitely ahead" of Illinois, if ahead at all.

If we can set up for that yeah. But we'd have to avoid the "wtf loss" before that. We'd have to be at a max of 1 big ten loss.

And with Ron Zook as your coach, you can always expect the "wtf loss" :lolhitting

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Sep 23, 2011 -> 07:18 PM)
Iowa is just not as good this year.

In their game against Iowa State, despite them going to Coker like 35 times, I thought they went away from him too much in the second half. Once Ferentz started getting pass happy against Iowa State, things went downhill for them. Granted, our corners are pretty decent. I think they really do miss DJK this year, he allowed them to do a bit more in their offense than they do now. And yes, I realize that Vandenberg went off in the fourth against Pitt.

Of course, Iowa got Steele Jantz'ed pretty hard too.

Also, I haven't said much about ISU this year....but it's been a hell of a lot of fun this year. We will have our third straight sellout against Texas, and honestly, for the first time in my life, if we play our game, we should expect to beat the Longhorns. Fact is, we've been downright bad in terms of turnovers this year (Jantz started 0-4 with 3 INT against UConn) but still managed to win. I was expecting three wins this year, and we're already there. Who would have thunk that when we'd play Texas, it'd be to get into the Top 25, a primetime game on FX with Gus Johnson calling it? I guess our bookstore is selling these too:

tumblr_lrzp2mxyKU1qk0itxo1_500.jpg

The weird thing is, the Big 12 stuff has really dampened the best ISU start to a season since 2002. I wasn't sold on Paul Rhoads at first, but I'm getting there. I do know that I love my team. And the crazy s*** Steele Jantz pulls. Because he still has a negative passer rating in the first quarter this year.

Oh, and I'll jump on the hate ND bandwagon....well at least Brian Kelly. f*** him. Hope he loses his job. You let a kid die on your watch, you shouldn't be trusted with the well being of over a hundred others.

I was thinking about the bolded above the other day - kinda sucks some of the wind out of it. But still happy to see the team doing well, that's a rarity, and glad to hear they are selling out football games (which only happened against Iowa, if ever, when I was at school there).

Not sure if anyone in here other than you and I care though. Unless ISU does beat Texas, then I think it gets really interesting.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 24, 2011 -> 09:09 AM)
I was thinking about the bolded above the other day - kinda sucks some of the wind out of it. But still happy to see the team doing well, that's a rarity, and glad to hear they are selling out football games (which only happened against Iowa, if ever, when I was at school there).

Not sure if anyone in here other than you and I care though. Unless ISU does beat Texas, then I think it gets really interesting.

Team fully believes it can right now.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Sep 24, 2011 -> 04:08 PM)
Typical Ron Zook team not ready to play the week after a big win. Not to mention horrible special teams which is the only unit he coaches these days.

If they lose this game, I might lose interest in the football team completely until Zook is gone and a decent hire is made.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Sep 24, 2011 -> 04:43 PM)
If they lose this game, I might lose interest in the football team completely until Zook is gone and a decent hire is made.

Barely won. They should have won the game by at least 2 scores. I wonder if this game will drop them out of the top 25.

What a comeback by Ok State. Down 20-3 at half and roll 27 unanswered in the second half and hold on. I'm not sold on either team being quite elite, but I believed Ok State had a better chance to be legit going in. This confirms that. Bedlam will be insane this year. The Cowboys have to go to Texas and Missouri in back to back weeks so I'm hesitating to say both could be undefeated, but it would be fun to see.

Man, what a helpless feeling it is to be a Miami Hurricanes fan. The offense looks good but the defense is just so, so bad. If this team can go 6-6 then Golden did a pretty decent job given the circumstances. Still paying the price of having Randy Shannon as our coach. He couldnt coach at all and couldnt evaluate talent. It's really going to take another 3 years before this team can think about being a top 25 team. Hopefully Golden sticks because he is the exact type of coach we need to right the ship.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Sep 25, 2011 -> 01:25 AM)
Illinois has to beat Wisconsin for a BCS game. I think they likely go to Champs Sports and the loser of the CCG may get a BCS bid.

I wouldn't be surprised in the least if the 2011 Illinois season looks extremely similar to the 2010 Michigan State season when all is said and done. A random loss could come at any moment with Zook as coach, though. I will say in Illinois' defense today that Western Michigan is a better team than most people realize, and past Illinois teams would've lost that game. But that still should've been a two touchdown win.

Also, through 3 full games. Robert Griffin of Baylor has more touchdown passes (13) than incompletions (12) and interceptions (0) combined. Not sure I've ever heard of a stat quite like that.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 25, 2011 -> 12:47 AM)
Illinois may have gotten "Zooked" today and may again, but look what ASU is doing to USC. The Illini are lined up perfectly, with other team rebuilding, to make a BCS bowl this year.

Rock you gotta get me some of that kool aid, LOL.

One of the Florida bowl games would be nice, not thinking BCS here.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Sep 25, 2011 -> 01:41 PM)
Sounds like A&M will officially be gone to the SEC today. I can say with full enthusiasm that they can go f*** themselves.

Iowa's wideouts this year are better than last year. It is taking some time for JV to get comfortable but he played a beautiful game this past week and a great 4th quarter against Pitt. He can make every throw and Iowa's wideouts are legit with McNutt, Davis, and MM. Coker is a beast too.

ISU outplayed us though in our only lost and it was your QB that did it. His legs were fantastic and he made so many plays. I still think Iowa battles into the back end of the top 25 by seasons end.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Sep 24, 2011 -> 06:20 PM)
4-0, didn't play great but we got the win. Hopefully it scared them a bit and they come out focused for NW next week.

I'm going next week. Offense definitely needs to be better within the red zone.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Sep 25, 2011 -> 06:25 AM)
Illinois has to beat Wisconsin for a BCS game. I think they likely go to Champs Sports and the loser of the CCG may get a BCS bid.

Not really. If they lose to Wisconsin and beat everyone else, that's an 11-1 season. May very well get a BCS bid, and would go over another 2 loss Big Ten team (looking at Nebraska).

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Sep 25, 2011 -> 03:41 PM)
Sounds like A&M will officially be gone to the SEC today. I can say with full enthusiasm that they can go f*** themselves.

They gone. I'm almost starting to believe Mizzou will be joining them. I'm thinking it's maybe 40% at this point. It could probably be higher

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Sep 26, 2011 -> 05:47 PM)
Not really. If they lose to Wisconsin and beat everyone else, that's an 11-1 season. May very well get a BCS bid, and would go over another 2 loss Big Ten team (looking at Nebraska).

I think you took him a bit too literally. Of course 11-1 gets a BCS bowl, but after beating Western Michigan by 3 it's hard to expect 11-1. Beating Wisconsin probably lets Illinois go 10-2 and have a shot at a BCS game. Illinois has its toughest game to date up next. Northwestern coming off a loss and a bye with Persa back is tougher than Arizona State coming off a relatively big win.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Sep 26, 2011 -> 06:04 PM)
I think you took him a bit too literally. Of course 11-1 gets a BCS bowl, but after beating Western Michigan by 3 it's hard to expect 11-1. Beating Wisconsin probably lets Illinois go 10-2 and have a shot at a BCS game. Illinois has its toughest game to date up next. Northwestern coming off a loss and a bye with Persa back is tougher than Arizona State coming off a relatively big win.

Who knows if they are, ASU just smashed USC. And we have yet to see Wisconsin play a team as good as ASU or Western michigan.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 26, 2011 -> 06:11 PM)
Who knows if they are, ASU just smashed USC. And we have yet to see Wisconsin play a team as good as ASU or Western michigan.

Hard to be impressed by USC who beat Minnesota by 2. Gotta love early season college football. You can go back and forth about who has looked good or bad based on the transitive property.