2011 Spring Training thread

easyw

If it hasn't already begun, can we please start a thread for Sox Spring Training 2011?

I plan on attending in ealy March.. I'll be there for 5 days.

I'd appreciate any suggestions on what to expect at Camelback.

Also, looking for the typical tourist info... good places to eat, hike, pick up sluts...

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Head to Chandler, AZ, and go to the Heart Attack Grill. More for the novelty and to say you've been there, then to enjoy a gourmet meal.....

The girls there are pretty sexy, and in skimpy uniforms, and that guy who runs the place was actually back there cooking when we were there. Ha. Definitely a "once in a lifetime" type place. The food really does taste good, but for all the wrong reasons, and the prices are not cheap. Single burger is like $5, and quadruple is like $11 or something.

Edited by JoeCoolMan24

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jan 26, 2011 -> 09:57 PM)
Head to Chandler, AZ, and go to the Heart Attack Grill. More for the novelty and to say you've been there, then to enjoy a gourmet meal.....

The girls there are pretty sexy, and in skimpy uniforms, and that guy who runs the place was actually back there cooking when we were there. Ha. Definitely a "once in a lifetime" type place. The food really does taste good, but for all the wrong reasons, and the prices are not cheap. Single burger is like $5, and quadruple is like $11 or something.

And people wonder....

If you are autograph seeking, definately go to the practice facility in the morning. They usually break around 11 and you can easily get 5-10 autographs a day. If you are going near the end of the month, like me, you can see the Hawks play the Coyotes. Right outside jobing.com arena, there is a whole entertainment complex with restaurants and bars. LAst year we went to Jimmy Buffett's restaurant.

If you need baseballs to sign, there is a card shop on Camelback Ranch Road, between the expressway and the Sox facility.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jan 26, 2011 -> 08:57 PM)

My hobby is eating out and trying restaurants that are popular with locals/on the Food Network etc., having say that, I will never step foot in this place. LOL

QUOTE (tonyho7476 @ Jan 27, 2011 -> 07:38 AM)
Here is a link to the Westgate City Center, in Glendale by Jobing.com arena.

Westgate City Center

Actually there are some other good places too off of Northern and the 101...just to the west of the 101. Westgate is ok...but kind of overrated IMO. But if you're on the west side of the Valley why on earth would you drive all the way out to Chandler for a burger?!? Blue Burger Grille on Northern is probably a better burger too and you don't have to drive to BF Egypt.

QUOTE (Pale Sox @ Jan 27, 2011 -> 12:39 AM)
The Public Enemy reference in the title makes me smile a little. So does all the talk about sluts.

Are you referring to the line " by the time I get to Glendale" ? If so there's a very old Glen Campbell song called " By the Time I Get to Phoenix" .That's the musical reference to me. Maybe Public Enemy sampled Glen Campbell . :P

QUOTE (jasonxctf @ Jan 27, 2011 -> 09:58 AM)
you can also walk around the Camelback campus on non-game days to check out the back lots where some of the Rookie Ball, A and AA players have games.

Yeah, my cousin and I did this, but we did it during the 9th inning of the game. We went back and watched the Indians and Dodgers minor leaguers play. Exchanged greetings with Tommy LaSorda who was driving around on a golf cart. I got some of it filmed, maybe I'll upload on to Youtube.

QUOTE (Pale Sox @ Jan 27, 2011 -> 11:37 AM)
Haha I thought the whole "by the time I get to Glendale" thing was a play on the song "By the Time I Get to Arizona" which is one of Public Enemy's best songs. Highly recommended if that's your thing.

It could be , have to ask the thread starter. I did a little bit of research and Issac Hayes and Harry Belafonte also did versions of "By the Time I Get to Phoenix" . Whoever named the song from Public Enemy could have heard one of those versions of the song in their household growing up.

We're staying on the campus of Thunderbird, about 10 minutes to the north... We are looking to check out the Camelback facility during non-major league games, so I'm happy there will be some Sox/Dodgers games going on... What time does it open?

• 2 weeks later...

ok...I am SOOOO ready to get this season started. I can't even remember how many times I heard this yesterday... but I spent the entire day/Super Bowl opening my longnecks yesterday with my official White Sox bottle opener that does this when it touches metal (actual recording):

http://toofiles.com/en/oip/audios/mp3/memo.html