2011 AL Central Catch-All Thread

Balta1701

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 13, 2011 -> 07:58 PM)
How is that a comeback?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 13, 2011 -> 08:01 PM)
You read my mind Balta. What did Gordon come back from? Being bad? Also, this is Morse's full season in the majors, his injuries were back in the minor league days, I don't think that's much of a comeback.

Last time I checked, guys don't win the award after winning the MVP or making the all-star team the previous year. Liriano, Giambi, Lee, Lidge, etc., have won the award in the past for, well, sucking ass or doing next to nothing of significance the prior year. If Gordon/Morse aren't worthy, who the hell is?

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 13, 2011 -> 09:14 PM)
Last time I checked, guys don't win the award after winning the MVP or making the all-star team the previous year. Liriano, Giambi, Lee, Lidge, etc., have won the award in the past for, well, sucking ass or doing next to nothing of significance the prior year. If Gordon/Morse aren't worthy, who the hell is?

But those guys had actually done something in the major leagues before that. Gordon and Morse were just crap since their rookie seasons.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Sep 13, 2011 -> 10:16 PM)
But those guys had actually done something in the major leagues before that. Gordon and Morse were just crap since their rookie seasons.

Well by that criteria, I agree. Been good, fell off the map for whatever reason, comeback. I've always looked at the award as the NBA's version of the most improved player. Maybe baseball should implement something like that.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 13, 2011 -> 10:21 PM)
Well by that criteria, I agree. Been good, fell off the map for whatever reason, comeback. I've always looked at the award as the NBA's version of the most improved player. Maybe baseball should implement something like that.

I mean, that is the name of the award and all :lolhitting

But you're right, they've given it to players before that never did anything prior to receiving it. I guess it's the same difference between being the Most Valuable Player or just the flat-out best player.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Sep 13, 2011 -> 10:33 PM)
I mean, that is the name of the award and all :lolhitting

But you're right, they've given it to players before that never did anything prior to receiving it. I guess it's the same difference between being the Most Valuable Player or just the flat-out best player.

I meant if that's the only criteria. Having to have had prior success before experiencing a down year or two. I look(ed) at it as a player that had virtually no success in the big leagues prior to having that breakout season as well. I don't think people realize how good Alex Gordon has been this year. Arguably the second best LF in baseball after that Braun character.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 13, 2011 -> 10:56 PM)
I meant if that's the only criteria. Having to have had prior success before experiencing a down year or two. I look(ed) at it as a player that had virtually no success in the big leagues prior to having that breakout season as well. I don't think people realize how good Alex Gordon has been this year. Arguably the second best LF in baseball after that Braun character.

Do they have a breakout player of the year award? That might solve it.

QUOTE (Benchwarmerjim @ Sep 10, 2011 -> 04:11 PM)
it might be a long year next year for the Twins. They are starting 2 AA players (Joe Benson and Chris Parmelee) and another AA pitcher (Liam Hendricks) there is no depth at AAA and a lot of the stud players (Miguel Sano) are still in the lower class levels

Remember when last year nearly everyone here at ST were raving about how the Twins were in great position to keep dominating the AL Central?

That was funny...

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Sep 14, 2011 -> 07:35 AM)
Remember when last year nearly everyone here at ST were raving about how the Twins were in great position to keep dominating the AL Central?

That was funny...

There's an outside chance they could lose 100 games this season, they're at 89 right now with 14 games to go. Still an outside chance but maybe...They've lost 9 in a row a few times this season.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Sep 14, 2011 -> 08:56 PM)
I'm starting to think Verlander is on PEDs. Since when did he throw 101? He threw 97-98 max when he first came up in the majors.

Pitch fx has had him at about an average velocity of 95 since he came up, and in 06-07 he'd occasionally top 100. He had a yer in 08 where he didn't hit 100 then he brought it back. 08 was also his worst season.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 14, 2011 -> 08:20 PM)
Pitch fx has had him at about an average velocity of 95 since he came up, and in 06-07 he'd occasionally top 100. He had a yer in 08 where he didn't hit 100 then he brought it back. 08 was also his worst season.

He either had dead arm in 08 or stopped doing what he did before that. I'm not sure how long he can sustain throwing 100 though.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 15, 2011 -> 01:30 AM)
It'd be a lot funnier if we weren't primed to finish 15+ games out of 1st place.

It'd be a lot less funny if we didn't have the exact same effect happening regarding the invincible Tigers and their upcoming 18 year division crown run.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 15, 2011 -> 07:52 AM)
JoeCStrib JoeChristensen

by Buster_ESPN

Final: #Royals 7, #Twins 3. Minnesota goes 0-5 on this road trip and is now 9-33 in its past 42 games.

Those Twins really know how to do it. They will guarantee themselves a sweet draft pick while we will pick right in the middle of the pack.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 15, 2011 -> 07:54 AM)
It'd be a lot less funny if we didn't have the exact same effect happening regarding the invincible Tigers and their upcoming 18 year division crown run.

Um, I don't get it? We're poking fun at the Twins when our asses are going to be watching the playoffs from home right along with them. I don't get much solace in the fact they've been a little worse.