2011 AL Central Catch-All Thread

Balta1701

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 24, 2011 -> 03:34 PM)
A power hitting catcher is definitely better than a struggling 2B in value alone. However we have a decent young core comparable to what you listed of theirs, pitching and offense alike.

Sale Reliever as of now, nothing special

Danks Not gonna be around for long

Floyd Mediocre

Morel Better figure out how to hit up here

Alexei ok

Beckham Worthless with the bat

Viciedo ?, but I believe will be solid

Flowers ok

Stewart prolly decent back of the rotation guy

Humber prolly decent back of the rotation guy

Not that bad of a core.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 25, 2011 -> 10:12 AM)
Well, it's true.

Ha. Recently for the Sox that definitely has been true. I would say the Indians/Sox lists could be comparable if I had reason to believe the Sox players could reach or exceed their full potential. Recent history bodes me to believe otherwise.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 25, 2011 -> 11:37 AM)
Ha. Recently for the Sox that definitely has been true. I would say the Indians/Sox lists could be comparable if I had reason to believe the Sox players could reach or exceed their full potential. Recent history bodes me to believe otherwise.

So why is the logical conclusion that the Indians prospects will reach or exceed their full potential? Or even will do so at a rate greater than the rate of the White Sox?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 25, 2011 -> 11:21 AM)
So why is the logical conclusion that the Indians prospects will reach or exceed their full potential? Or even will do so at a rate greater than the rate of the White Sox?

You are right, their prospects may fail too. Although, I think Choo & Cabrera are proven already. Santana's sophomore slump is still a good season for a catcher.

Masterson has been great, but it's still his first full season of it. Ubaldo & the question mark he is now has been discussed. Beckham did the same thing Kipnis did when he got called up, so that's no sure thing. I know nothing about Chisenhall either.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 25, 2011 -> 11:40 AM)
You are right, their prospects may fail too. Although, I think Choo & Cabrera are proven already. Santana's sophomore slump is still a good season for a catcher.

Masterson has been great, but it's still his first full season of it. Ubaldo & the question mark he is now has been discussed. Beckham did the same thing Kipnis did when he got called up, so that's no sure thing. I know nothing about Chisenhall either.

Chisenhall looks like Morel at this point.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 26, 2011 -> 06:56 AM)
Buster_ESPN Buster Olney

Verlander has been involved with 803 plate appearances this season; most for any position player is about 600. Still no MVP consideration?

If this was like 2008, where there's no real clear cut contenders for MVP, he might have a chance, but too many guys have the credentials on the offensive side.

A pitcher is going to have to win 30 (or come close to it) with like a 1 something ERA to win an MVP

QUOTE (Cali @ Aug 26, 2011 -> 01:20 PM)
If this was like 2008, where there's no real clear cut contenders for MVP, he might have a chance, but too many guys have the credentials on the offensive side.

A pitcher is going to have to win 30 (or come close to it) with like a 1 something ERA to win an MVP

I don't know. I'm thinking that having so many candidates from the top two teams could be a little detrimental. Bautista is not going to get it. No position player from the central or west is deserving. You look at what Verlander has meant to that team, and you could see him realistically winning it.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 26, 2011 -> 11:57 AM)
I don't know. I'm thinking that having so many candidates from the top two teams could be a little detrimental. Bautista is not going to get it. No position player from the central or west is deserving. You look at what Verlander has meant to that team, and you could see him realistically winning it.

He'll get votes for sure, but in the end someone from Boston is gonna win it more than likely. Remember a lot of these guys are old codger baseball writers, and since Justin Verlander's games aren't broadcast in black & white and Justin Verlander's name is Justin Verlander and not Bob Gibson that might hurt him in the long run...

What's ironic is that the only reason he's even in the discussion is because the Tigers aren't that good. He makes himself more valuable because if he was injured they wouldn't be in first place. If they Tigers were running away with the division by 10+ games and like 30 games over .500 with Sherzer and Porcello winning like 16-18 games Verlander wouldn't even crack the top 10 in MVP consideration...

Edited by Cali

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 26, 2011 -> 03:15 PM)
Team record when each pitcher starts:

Verlander: 20-8

Sabathia: 19-9

Beckett: 18-7

Weaver: 18-9

He hasn't been all that much more valuable to his team than other starters. He seems more valuable because of the rest of his team's struggles.

It's one piece of the equation. You have team record, quality starts, innings pitched, ERA, WHIP, strikeouts, performance following a loss.

I think if you take everything in consideration, Verlander runs away with the Cy, and is a legitimate MVP candidate.

Tigers are 1.5 out from the 2-seed.

It seemed like the Yankees and Red Sox were playing to face Verlander twice in a 5-game series, but it still could be the AL West winner against the AL East winner.

I'm rooting for a Tigers/Brewers World Series. Both are great baseball towns with fans that get it.