2011 White Sox Catch-All Thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 09:59 AM)
I get the feeling that Humber is going downhill right before our eyes. I don't know if it is IP catching up with him, or if it is a regression to where he realistically should be, but I am not counting on him for too much down the stretch.

certainly possibly, he could be tiring and not much help in september. which would leave us with 3 starters and maybe counting on stewart this year?

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 10:59 AM)
I get the feeling that Humber is going downhill right before our eyes. I don't know if it is IP catching up with him, or if it is a regression to where he realistically should be, but I am not counting on him for too much down the stretch.

Then you and I have watched a different Philip Humber.

He's been just as good the last few games as he's been for most of the season, save for the actual bad outing against the Twins. He just has a manager who refuses to believe that he burns out at 90-95 pitches.

QUOTE (docsox24 @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 10:02 AM)
certainly possibly, he could be tiring and not much help in september. which would leave us with 3 starters and maybe counting on stewart this year?

Yep. Very possible. Which makes stretching Peavy out all of the more important, at least until the rosters expand in a month.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 03:02 PM)
Then you and I have watched a different Philip Humber.

He's been just as good the last few games as he's been for most of the season, save for the actual bad outing against the Twins. He just has a manager who refuses to believe that he burns out at 90-95 pitches.

How can a young kid burn out at 90 pitches?

So he's a five-inning guy? Six max?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 02:18 PM)
How can a young kid burn out at 90 pitches?

So he's a five-inning guy? Six max?

Philip Humber is not a young kid. He's 28. He might well be older than you.

The problem is that he's bounced back and forth between the minors and the majors and bullpens and starting, so he's never really had a full year starting pitching in the majors workload put on him.

His previous innings maximum has been about 140, which he's done basically each of the last 4 years. If that was a normal prospect, the "Verducci effect" rule would say that he'd max out at 165 innings. He's thrown 113 so far this year.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 07:02 PM)
cst_Cowley

Disappointing to hear, but was just told that KW doesn't really believe in this team and is looking to ship more bodies out.

1 minute ago Favorite Retweet Reply

Cowley knows the Sox are about to make another trade so he's trying to preempt with negative spin on whatever move is about to be made.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 06:39 PM)
If Ozzie believes in this team he should stop gift wrapping games to the rest of the league.

Exactly. I really can't understand how Ozzie has defenders left. To a degree, I get the people who still defend Kenny even though I don't at all. Ozzie is just such an amazingly poor game manager though. And there's nothing he can do in any other aspect to overcome that.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 07:08 PM)
Cowley knows the Sox are about to make another trade so he's trying to preempt with negative spin on whatever move is about to be made.

You got it.

I think TCQ may have played his last game for the Sox...

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 08:16 PM)
I doubt he's gone before tomorrow. Kenny can play brinksmanship here.

yeah but whats the chances he actually plays in the game with trade talks going on. He might suit up, but he'll just be sitting there looking good. Then Ozzie can play Rios and De Aza and keep KW happy.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 12:46 AM)
Exactly. I really can't understand how Ozzie has defenders left. To a degree, I get the people who still defend Kenny even though I don't at all. Ozzie is just such an amazingly poor game manager though. And there's nothing he can do in any other aspect to overcome that.

This is such a general criticism of Ozzie.

I think he's as good an in-game manager as anybody and Florida is lucky to get him.

If Kenny trades Quentin, I'd love to be done with the Sox, but it's in my blood and I can't be.

This year has been a total joke. All of a sudden they are going to make all these bizarre moves just cause it's the trading deadline?

Uh, they could have called up Viciedo before we lost 3 of 4 to Minnie and got faceplaned 4 of 6 to KC. but nooooooo we couldn't do that and try to improve the offense. What a failure of a GM we have.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 09:57 PM)
This is such a general criticism of Ozzie.

I think he's as good an in-game manager as anybody and Florida is lucky to get him.

It's general because it doesn't need to be specific. Ozzie makes blatant managerial errors on pretty much an everyday basis, and they're obvious for all to see. If you think he's as good an in-game manager as anybody, I mean you have the right to think that but I'm not sure how you could possibly come to that conclusion.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 10:07 PM)
It's general because it doesn't need to be specific. Ozzie makes blatant managerial errors on pretty much an everyday basis, and they're obvious for all to see. If you think he's as good an in-game manager as anybody, I mean you have the right to think that but I'm not sure how you could possibly come to that conclusion.

It doesn't really matter what we think. It's who ever is willing to pay him. He's definitely cut out for managing in the NL.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 09:57 PM)
Uh, they could have called up Viciedo before we lost 3 of 4 to Minnie and got faceplaned 4 of 6 to KC. but nooooooo we couldn't do that and try to improve the offense. What a failure of a GM we have.

They still may have lost those games. Someone steps in to wet the bed. They've had a habit of getting owned by those 2 teams after the ASB, it also happened under Manuel.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 05:07 AM)

I challenge you to follow any other team closely and, believe me, you'll have the same concerns about the manager in any games that team loses.

People that get mad when we "leave a pitcher in too long" slay me. If a guy has it rolling through five innings and gets rocked in the sixth, it's not the manager's fault for "not having anybody ready."

A starter needs to be able to f***ing pitch six innings. My god.

It's fine to second-guess or first-guess or whatever you want. I'm just saying if you follow any team closely chances are you'll find a million things wrong with that manager, too.

Ozzie is fine with me.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 10:56 PM)
I challenge you to follow any other team closely and, believe me, you'll have the same concerns about the manager in any games that team loses.

People that get mad when we "leave a pitcher in too long" slay me. If a guy has it rolling through five innings and gets rocked in the sixth, it's not the manager's fault for "not having anybody ready."

A starter needs to be able to f***ing pitch six innings. My god.

It's fine to second-guess or first-guess or whatever you want. I'm just saying if you follow any team closely chances are you'll find a million things wrong with that manager, too.

Ozzie is fine with me.

I follow baseball closer than I do any other sport except college football. I wouldn't feel as strongly about Ozzie as I do in relationship to other managers if I didn't see so much of them.