2011 White Sox Catch-All Thread

southsider2k5

Yes, Dave Magadan is getting a fair amount of grief for Crawford, he's tried to rebuild his swing but it is being described as "mechanically unsound".

And if kw traded Beckham for scraps after his first 30 at bats...no one would have blamed walker, they'd have been furious with Kenny. Just like I was about the hudson trade.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 20, 2011 -> 08:22 PM)
If just once someone blamed Cooper and was actually serious about it, when a pitcher sucked like they blame Walker when a hitter sucked, I'd stop my crusade.

Cooper doesn't have a contract for next year. It could be the organization wants a complete change. Floyd and Danks are looking more and more like 5th starters on a good team.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 21, 2011 -> 11:02 PM)
Damn, he's getting old.

I thought he was much younger than that. That is pretty damn old.

Slight exaggeration there, Greg. No, 30 isn't "young", but he's not ancient. He seems younger because he hasn't been playing in the US for that long, but remember he played in Cuba for quite a while.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 20, 2011 -> 09:03 PM)
Yes, Dave Magadan is getting a fair amount of grief for Crawford, he's tried to rebuild his swing but it is being described as "mechanically unsound".

And if kw traded Beckham for scraps after his first 30 at bats...no one would have blamed walker, they'd have been furious with Kenny. Just like I was about the hudson trade.

Magadan is getting grief and the Red Sox lead the world in runs, slugging, OPS, and second in batting average? Yeah, he sucks.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 22, 2011 -> 07:21 AM)
For what they are paying for that offense, he should be getting grief.

Funny thing is, other than Crawford, they're not paying that much this year. Not for the guys that matter, anyway. That changes next year with Gonzo, obviously.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 22, 2011 -> 11:17 AM)
Funny thing is, other than Crawford, they're not paying that much this year. Not for the guys that matter, anyway. That changes next year with Gonzo, obviously.

I quickly counted up about $82 million spent on their offense this year not counting minimum salary guys, and about the same amount spent on their pitching staff (more if you break Matsuzaka's posting fee into yearly increments)

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 22, 2011 -> 10:20 AM)
I quickly counted up about $82 million spent on their offense this year not counting minimum salary guys, and about the same amount spent on their pitching staff (more if you break Matsuzaka's posting fee into yearly increments)

Take away J.D. Drew (who hasn't played in months) and his $14 million and you're at $68 million. That's more than a reasonable sum for the production they're getting (save for Crawford).

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 22, 2011 -> 10:29 AM)
Take away J.D. Drew (who hasn't played in months) and his $14 million and you're at $68 million. That's more than a reasonable sum for the production they're getting (save for Crawford).

Drew is injured every year. How can you excuse something that happens annually?

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 22, 2011 -> 11:29 AM)

Take away Adam Dunn and his $14 million and I bet the White Sox offense looks like a pretty decent bargain as well.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 22, 2011 -> 11:45 AM)
Take away Adam Dunn and his $14 million and I bet the White Sox offense looks like a pretty decent bargain as well.

Yeah, instead of third worst it'd be fourth/fifth worst? SS2K5 said for the money they're making, the Red Sox offense should be held to a different standard. Drew has been on the DL since like June. So that's just sunk cost. Ortiz, Gonzo, Youk, Ellsbury and Pedroia, you know, the reasons their offense is so damn good, are making less than $40 million combined this season. For three legitimate MVP candidates, a perennial all-star and the most productive DH in the league, that's peanuts. Crawford has been the only offensive bust.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 22, 2011 -> 11:43 AM)
Drew is injured every year. How can you excuse something that happens annually?

I'm not excusing it. But how can you use that against them? Drew was a monster in '09 when healthy. He's been banged up since then. Point is for the guys doing the bulk of the damage for them THIS year, they're making pennies on the dollar.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 22, 2011 -> 12:01 PM)
I'm not excusing it. But how can you use that against them? Drew was a monster in '09 when healthy. He's been banged up since then. Point is for the guys doing the bulk of the damage for them THIS year, they're making pennies on the dollar.

You use it against Dunn, Rios, and Peavy.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Sep 22, 2011 -> 12:18 PM)
J.D. Drew was injured quite often before his Red Sox days.

I realize that. I was talking just this year. From '07 to '09, Drew produced an .875 OPS and sound defense. He's been hurt the last couple years. Yeah, they're paying for him. But he's not one of the reasons their offense is as good as it is.

Ortiz: $12.5 million

Youk: $12.250 million

Gonzo: $6.3 million

Pedroia: $5.75 million

Ellsbury: $2.4 million

That's five regulars producing at an all-star to MVP level for less than $40 million. Pay-Rod, Tex, Jeter, Swisher, and Posada are making damn near $100 million. Now that's the team in which you could say, "Well, look at what they're paying for that offense." Not the Red Sox.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (flavum @ Sep 22, 2011 -> 02:59 PM)
Remember when some of us thought Beckham may be a great talent?

Gordon Beckham

377 games - 324 hits

Starlin Castro

277 games - 338 hits

100 games less and 3 years younger. That's something.

After 277 career games, Juan Pierre had 343 hits

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 22, 2011 -> 12:27 PM)
I realize that. I was talking just this year. From '07 to '09, Drew produced an .875 OPS and sound defense. He's been hurt the last couple years. Yeah, they're paying for him. But he's not one of the reasons their offense is as good as it is.

Ortiz: $12.5 million

Youk: $12.250 million

Gonzo: $6.3 million

Pedroia: $5.75 million

Ellsbury: $2.4 million

That's five regulars producing at an all-star to MVP level for less than $40 million. Pay-Rod, Tex, Jeter, Swisher, and Posada are making damn near $100 million. Now that's the team in which you could say, "Well, look at what they're paying for that offense." Not the Red Sox.

That also ignores the fact that A-Gon & Tex have very similar contracts from 2012 on. Also, you are excluding Crawford/Drew on one side, while not including Cano or Grandy on the other side. How much does Posada even play anymore anyway?