2011 White Sox Catch-All Thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

lol. You somewhat made a point in that I'm no expert (never thought I was), but how the hell do you come up with those posts so fast? Does the search function only work for mods? And if it worked for us, I could pull up posts in which I've been right. Lillibridge is still a below average baseball player. I'm not crowning Humber after a good month. And CQ has proven me wrong so far. You don't keep Flowers simply in this case of IF you're able to trade A.J. If you thought anything of him you don't resign him and go with Flowers from the get go.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 8, 2011 -> 11:39 AM)
lol. You somewhat made a point in that I'm no expert (never thought I was), but how the hell do you come up with those posts so fast? Does the search function only work for mods? And if it worked for us, I could pull up posts in which I've been right. Lillibridge is still a below average baseball player. I'm not crowning Humber after a good month. And CQ has proven me wrong so far. You don't keep Flowers simply in this case of IF you're able to trade A.J. If you thought anything of him you don't resign him and go with Flowers from the get go.

I just use Google. "site:www.soxtalk.com Jordan4Life Quentin/Humber/Lillibridge"

QUOTE (knightni @ May 8, 2011 -> 11:23 AM)
He is slumping because he's trying to get his swing back. They fiddled with his stance and messed him up. He's hit before, he'll hit again.

It's been a long time since Tyler Flowers has hit.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 8, 2011 -> 11:28 AM)
No thanks. Sounds like Beckham. I've given up on this organization ever producing position player talent. Not that I'm giving up on Beckham. But he should've been a slam dunk. Get me Ron Schueler or somebody like him.

You are the first Sox fan I have ever seen pine for Ron Schueler, good grief. Propect guys would have loved Ron though, because Ron sure did LOVE his prospects. In fact he loved them so much he refused to ever part with them to upgrade the major league team, and when 85% of these guys went belly up (like most prospects do) we were left with the Scott Ruffcorns and the Mike Carusos of the world.

Also, Ron pulled off the move so many are begging for around here, a firesale. He ended up with such a great return on that boondoggle, we ended up with a whole two relief pitchers for three good major league pitchers. Yup, Ron would be the guy to clean this mess up for sure.

QUOTE (knightni @ May 8, 2011 -> 10:23 AM)
He is slumping because he's trying to get his swing back. They fiddled with his stance and messed him up. He's hit before, he'll hit again.

It's been almost 2 years now since Flowers has hit. He's not good.

Are you sure Flowers can't hit at least as well as any average MLB catcher?

He this year is hitting .221 but does have 11 walks and fpur home runs.

Is his arm great? If he can throw people out, I'd say there's a chance he can play in the big leagues.

why the anti-Flowers sentiment?

At 25 years old and 6-4, 245 doesn't he deserve a chance in the bigs, especially with AJP looking bad?

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 8, 2011 -> 07:59 PM)
Are you sure Flowers can't hit at least as well as any average MLB catcher?

He this year is hitting .221 but does have 11 walks and fpur home runs.

Is his arm great? If he can throw people out, I'd say there's a chance he can play in the big leagues.

why the anti-Flowers sentiment?

At 25 years old and 6-4, 245 doesn't he deserve a chance in the bigs, especially with AJP looking bad?

Tyler Flowers would be hitting .150/.175 in the bigs and be on pace for 250 k's.

QUOTE (hawksfan61 @ May 8, 2011 -> 06:16 PM)
You are the first Sox fan I have ever seen pine for Ron Schueler, good grief. Propect guys would have loved Ron though, because Ron sure did LOVE his prospects. In fact he loved them so much he refused to ever part with them to upgrade the major league team, and when 85% of these guys went belly up (like most prospects do) we were left with the Scott Ruffcorns and the Mike Carusos of the world.

Also, Ron pulled off the move so many are begging for around here, a firesale. He ended up with such a great return on that boondoggle, we ended up with a whole two relief pitchers for three good major league pitchers. Yup, Ron would be the guy to clean this mess up for sure.

What a great post. Wow.

QUOTE (hawksfan61 @ May 8, 2011 -> 01:16 PM)

Just because a person loves to have a stocked farm system doesn't mean they want a firesale. It's about having talent at the MLB level and and the MiLB level, so that a team can sustain success year in and year out, and not have to be stuck with huge contracts of underwhelming players to fix holes because of a lack of young talent.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ May 8, 2011 -> 08:39 PM)
Just because a person loves to have a stocked farm system doesn't mean they want a firesale. It's about having talent at the MLB level and and the MiLB level, so that a team can sustain success year in and year out, and not have to be stuck with huge contracts of underwhelming players to fix holes because of a lack of young talent.

Really, people around here don't want a firesale? I read this board everyday, and half the posts in this forum are about how some people can't wait until this team is blown up and the rebuild begins. I wish we had a nice system, I would rather get a nice system by spending some money on the draft and hiring some better people for scouting and player development as opposed to trading good players off of the major league team for unknowns, which is what all prospects are.

My point about the firesale is that just because you have one doesn't mean you are going to get anything out of it when it is all said and done. Lots of teams have traded known assets, i.e. productive veteran players, and have absolutely nothing to show for it.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ May 8, 2011 -> 11:20 PM)
And still would have a better OBP than A.J.

Picture a 2nd adam dunn in the lineup right now. Not the good Adam Dunn, the post-appendix-removal Adam Dunn. that's effectively what Tyler Flowers would be.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 9, 2011 -> 08:11 AM)
Picture a 2nd adam dunn in the lineup right now. Not the good Adam Dunn, the post-appendix-removal Adam Dunn. that's effectively what Tyler Flowers would be.

And I knew you couldn't resist replying after my quote. :P

QUOTE (bulokis @ May 11, 2011 -> 09:58 AM)
Its good to see Wimperoo back with the sox even from time to time.

Ugh, can't stand him. Sounds like a nice guy, and probably good to meet in person and listen to stories over a beer or something, but as an announcer he is flat out terrible. Have him on for an inning or two, a whole game is almost unbearable.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ May 11, 2011 -> 02:25 PM)
Ugh, can't stand him. Sounds like a nice guy, and probably good to meet in person and listen to stories over a beer or something, but as an announcer he is flat out terrible. Have him on for an inning or two, a whole game is almost unbearable.

Wimpy ain't bad. He's light years ahead of the embarrassing abomination that is Hawk Harrelson at least. I might have the TV unmuted for once.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 10, 2011 -> 10:02 AM)
2010 Carlos Quentin:

Home: .270/.380/.562

Road: .214/.299/.391

2011 Carlos Quentin: (small sample size, I know)

Home: .175/.288/.298

Road: .361/.425/.806

So you're telling me Carlos Quentin is inconsistent? NO WAY!