ST: 3/17 vs Brewers/Rockies

flavum

You can listen to the Brewers game free through brewers.com.

Both games at 3:05.

vs. Mil: Pierre, LF, Beckham 2B, Dunn 1B, Rios CF, Quentin RF, Pierzynski C, Ramirez SS, Morel 3B, Jackson P

vs. Col: Milledge LF, Vizquel SS, Konerko 1B, Teahen 3B, Castro C, De Aza CF, Danks RF, Lillibridge 2B, Pena P

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 17, 2011 -> 03:20 PM)
2 run single for Castro off Ubaldo. 2-0, 1st

Jackson getting slapped around by Milwaukee. 4-0, 1st

2nd start in a row, right? Hope it's just dead arm period.

Hopefully just a blip. I'll want to see real winning and a real effort to win starting next Wednesday, when there's a week left. If they do that, at least they won't be accused of not being ready for the start of the season.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 17, 2011 -> 03:33 PM)
Hopefully just a blip. I'll want to see real winning and a real effort to win starting next Wednesday, when there's a week left. If they do that, at least they won't be accused of not being ready for the start of the season.

Spring training means absolutely nothing. Even the last week. These guys aren't going to turn it on until opening day, regardless of what anybody says about them.

Carlos Gomez is 2/2 with a run scored.

Morel is 0/3 with a K.

Quentin is 0/3, Pierzynski 0/2, both hitting around .170 on the spring.

Jackson, Ramirez, Dunn, and Rios have the Sox's 4 hits off of the Brewers. Marcum only pitched 3 innings.

QUOTE (jphat007 @ Mar 17, 2011 -> 04:07 PM)
Spring training means absolutely nothing. Even the last week. These guys aren't going to turn it on until opening day, regardless of what anybody says about them.

I'm only going by what Ozzie said regarding the end of the spring training. He said it would be the regular lineup and using the pitchers (to an extent) the way he would in the regular season. Whether they win those games obviously doesn't matter. But I think the effort will be there, and I think Ozzie will demand that effort even though they are spring training games.

Edited by flavum

Nice bounce back for Jackson after the 1st inning.

Scoreless inning for Sale, but a walk and 2 hits. I love his arm, and I'm sure he'll be ok in the pen, but there's part of me that wishes he was getting 27 starts at Birmingham this season.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Mar 17, 2011 -> 05:45 PM)
Probably your brain.

:lolhitting

Can I ask you a question?

Let's say the Sox did put Sale in AAA to start the year. They don't bring him up until the end of August and when they do they place him in the bullpen. Prior to this, the Sox use a bunch of AAAA type players to fill this spot. At the same time, Will Ohman serves as our left-handed setup man and is forced to face more right-handed hitters than he should.

The Sox end up losing the division to the Twins by one game. Are you still happy? Would you have wished you had Sale in the bullpen all year?

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Mar 17, 2011 -> 07:08 PM)

Let's say the Sox did put Sale in AAA to start the year. They don't bring him up until the end of August and when they do they place him in the bullpen. Prior to this, the Sox use a bunch of AAAA type players to fill this spot. At the same time, Will Ohman serves as our left-handed setup man and is forced to face more right-handed hitters than he should.

The Sox end up losing the division to the Twins by one game. Are you still happy? Would you have wished you had Sale in the bullpen all year?

The way Sale is pitching right now, I might think that we'd lost the division because of a game Sale lost.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 17, 2011 -> 05:36 PM)
I'm only going by what Ozzie said regarding the end of the spring training. He said it would be the regular lineup and using the pitchers (to an extent) the way he would in the regular season. Whether they win those games obviously doesn't matter. But I think the effort will be there, and I think Ozzie will demand that effort even though they are spring training games.

It is going to be a different mentality because of the money Jerry put into this team. If they start slow and attendance falls apart, they are screwed. The sell off of parts will happen very quickly this year if things don't work.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Mar 17, 2011 -> 06:08 PM)

It will be better because they will win 86 games in 2012 and will lose the division by only 5 games with Sale getting 5 more starts next year instead of the 83 and 8 games that would have happened originally.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Mar 17, 2011 -> 05:08 PM)

Yes. I ama little drunk, but they lsoe 1 game in 2011`, but they win 5-6 more games in 2012 because sale is acutlal able to progess to a starting spot in 2012. If he is a bullpen pitcher in 2o011, then he won't become an effective starter unitl 2013 atthe earlist, so you have compeltely sacrificied your 2012 seaosn, a season in which is already going nto be weakeked witht he loss of jackosn and buehrle potentially. I would rahter have 2 less options for startes in 2012 than 3 less. Because no well in hell Sale can piutch 33-34 starts in 2012 if he is in the bullpen for 2011. SO now you ahve to fill 3 starting spots in 2012 instead of just 2. And since we all know a starter costs more than a reliver, we are acutlaly oging to end up spenidn gmore money on a year tha t is aleady going to be tight on budget because of backloading contracts signed this season.

Look at Texas. They are afria dot put feliz int he rotation because of his success in 2010. The difference is that they hav ethe flexibilit yto do so with their minor league pitcher. The sox do not. We odn't hav e afarm suystem to replace starters next year. We ned all the starters we can get.