Peavy had rotator cuff tendinitis

Heads22

I think this is hype/sensationalist storyline here...

Peavy is sore, IMO, because it's been a long time since he's 1) pitched, 2) used the muscles in the same way he's using them now after the surgery, esp the tiny rotator cuff muscle.

I think he will be fine...and is still on my expected timeline to start -- last week of April/first week of May.

Anyone that has a surgery like he had cannot work out the same way (if at all), and their muscles break down over time, so when he gets back at it, he will fatigue faster and have longer lasting soreness. It will be a while before he's back up to full speed.

Edited by Y2HH

• Replies 740
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With Humber now looking like a part of rotation come OD, there are 2 questions I'm asking.

1. Do Sox go with 12 or 11 pitchers? (They always go with 12 but this questions alwas pop up in ST, even by the beat writers)

2. Who makes the last pitching roster spot?

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Mar 21, 2011 -> 09:50 AM)
I like JP, his enthusiasm, his determination, his tenacity on the mound, but frankly this guy is a mess.

Someone said it best a while ago around here when they said JFP = Just f***ing Pitch.

In my opinion though, I never expected Jake to be ready by the beginning of the season. Not that I was being pessimistic, but the guy didn't throw a ball, for what, over 6 months? Can't just jump straight into it.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Mar 21, 2011 -> 12:25 PM)
With Humber now looking like a part of rotation come OD, there are 2 questions I'm asking.

1. Do Sox go with 12 or 11 pitchers? (They always go with 12 but this questions alwas pop up in ST, even by the beat writers)

2. Who makes the last pitching roster spot?

Especially if Humber is taking a spot start or two, you have to go with 12 pitchers in case he implodes.

I'd say it becomes Marquez or Infante. Infante has gotten outs in the bigs but has been crappy this ST, Marquez has been better this ST.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Mar 21, 2011 -> 11:22 AM)
I think this is hype/sensationalist storyline here...

Peavy is sore, IMO, because it's been a long time since he's 1) pitched, 2) used the muscles in the same way he's using them now after the surgery, esp the tiny rotator cuff muscle.

I think he will be fine...and is still on my expected timeline to start -- last week of April/first week of May.

Anyone that has a surgery like he had cannot work out the same way (if at all), and their muscles break down over time, so when he gets back at it, he will fatigue faster and have longer lasting soreness. It will be a while before he's back up to full speed.

I agree with this as well. May 1 was always my thought about JFP and I still think it's a reasonable goal. Think of it like this: when you haven't lifted weights in a while and do 10 sets on the bench, you're going to be sore the next day. I think JFP pushed it a bit with the 83 pitches and is sore, that's all. Precisely why he needs a few more weeks to get the shoulder in shape for full throttle action.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 21, 2011 -> 11:31 AM)
Especially if Humber is taking a spot start or two, you have to go with 12 pitchers in case he implodes.

I'd say it becomes Marquez or Infante. Infante has gotten outs in the bigs but has been crappy this ST, Marquez has been better this ST.

It depends on how the rest of the pen ends up. I would imagine they would want a legit long man in there, so it could very well be Marquez.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 21, 2011 -> 12:41 PM)
It depends on how the rest of the pen ends up. I would imagine they would want a legit long man in there, so it could very well be Marquez.

For 2 games I think they'd be content with Pena doing that...but I don't think I'd want to go into the season with both Sale and Infante in the pen after both of them stank during ST.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Mar 21, 2011 -> 10:50 AM)
I like JP, his enthusiasm, his determination, his tenacity on the mound, but frankly this guy is a mess.

Rehabbing, especially this injury which is unique, isn't an exact science. Maybe he should have said something sooner, but maybe a lot of soreness is his norm or he can put up with a lot more pain than the average guy.

You really are walking a tightrope rehabbing, especially with a guy who wants to earn his check like Peavy. You have to push it somewhat, or it will take forever to get back to normal if ever, but you can't overdue it.

As long as this is one of the setbacks the medical team suggested would most likely happen, he's still on a great track, and this actually might be a blessing as now Ozzie knows moving forward, he has to be the voice of reason when handling Peavy, and I really don't mean that as a knock on Jake. The guy wants to pitch. If its something else, I hope JR paid his insurance premiums.

To be honest this doesn't surprise me at all. I too like JP's attitude and determination but anything he gives the Sox is gravy if you ask me. I'm going into the season with no expectations for him. Hopefully the starting 4 (Danks, MB, Floyd, EJ) can do well with whatever guy is our 5th starter. I'm not writing JP off at all, but I will never expect him to be what he was with San Diego in 07 with the Sox. Too many injuries since then.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 21, 2011 -> 11:31 AM)

That was the other thing he mentioned in the interview. He thinks they will go with 12 pitchers.

Also put me in the camp that Peavy's contract is impossible to dump but if and this is a strong IF there's one team that might be willing to take him despite his injuries, I'd think it'd be the Yankees. Maybe KW can dump JP on Cashman because the Yankees desperately need pitching if they're going to compete for the WS and Peavy is such a big name that Cashman would do it. Realistically, probably not though.

QUOTE (dpd9189 @ Mar 21, 2011 -> 11:38 AM)
Also put me in the camp that Peavy's contract is impossible to dump but if and this is a strong IF there's one team that might be willing to take him despite his injuries, I'd think it'd be the Yankees. Maybe KW can dump JP on Cashman because the Yankees desperately need pitching if they're going to compete for the WS and Peavy is such a big name that Cashman would do it. Realistically, probably not though.

No team, not even the Yankees, would even consider dealing for Peavy until he REALLY, REALLY proved that he could stay healthy for longer than two consecutive hours. We're pretty much stuck with him through 2012.

QUOTE (BFirebird @ Mar 21, 2011 -> 03:54 PM)
One thing interesting he said..which is not a good sign if taken literal. He said that they have to go back to square 1 with Jake, get him ready for 1st round of the playoffs. Pretty much he said they are unsure of where the injury will take Peavy from here.

How else can this be taken? I don't understand why Cooper would say something like this if we were talking just straight tendinitis...hummm

First of all it was kind of amazing that he was doing what he was doing,” White Sox pitching coach Don Cooper said on the Mully and Hanley Show. “From what I understand this is nothing that is completely out of the norm. He had a lat thing and now the shoulder is giving him a little bit of a problem, so we’re going to strengthen that up and take the time now to fix him. The long range plan, in a perfect situation, we had him planned to start the first game of the playoffs, so we’re going to backtrack from there…I guess the positive thing to think about is that he’s going to be back, it’s just a matter of how long this is going to take. And when we get him, hopefully he’ll be strong the rest of the season and we’ll reach that plan of him opening the playoffs.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2011/03/21/coo...run-the-asylum/

I think that what Cooper is disclosing here is as such:

After the surgery - the Sox front office set an internal goal of having Peavy back for the playoffs.

They where leaps and bounds ahead of that goal - seeming that he threw 86 pitches in his 4th spring trainning start before they shut him down.

Now they're going back to strengthening programs and he'll be back sometime when his body is 100%.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 21, 2011 -> 10:27 PM)
The Sox will have to do this thing without Peavy.

Before making harsh judgments like that which not are based in reason - step back and cool down a bit.

Peavy will be back and he will contribute to the 2011 White Sox.

Nothing we have heard indicates else-wise.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 21, 2011 -> 10:27 PM)
Humber is an insult and unacceptable as a 5th starter solution in the AL.

Have you seen Humber pitch this spring?

He's actually looking very good.

Also, do you remember that he is a former 1st round pick?

Also, did you hear that he has added a cutter?

Also, have you failed to read that Cooper likes this kid?

Remember last time Cooper got a former first round pick? ( Floyd and Thornton )

Remember last time a starter came under Coopers wing armed with a newly discovered cutter? ( Loizia )

It seems like your the boards new resident pessimist Jordan...

QUOTE (hi8is @ Mar 21, 2011 -> 04:45 PM)
Before making harsh judgments like that which not are based in reason - step back and cool down a bit.

Peavy will be back and he will contribute to the 2011 White Sox.

Nothing we have heard indicates else-wise.

Have you seen Humber pitch this spring?

He's actually looking very good.

Also, do you remember that he is a former 1st round pick?

Also, did you hear that he has added a cutter?

Also, have you failed to read that Cooper likes this kid?

Remember last time Cooper got a former first round pick? ( Floyd and Thornton )

Remember last time a starter came under Coopers wing armed with a newly discovered cutter? ( Loizia )

It seems like your the boards new resident pessimist Jordan...

That's fine with me. I'll be the new devil of the board. I'm NOT being mean or whatever, but I don't give a s*** what Humber has done this spring or what he's added. He's hippos***. If this were the Cubs, we'd all be laughing. But since it's the Sox there's some kinda fake hope that he can be good. That won't work on me. If I turn out to be wrong, so be it. But the odds that I'm wrong are pretty low. Like really low.

I still think there is an underlying shoulder/arm issue with Peavy. I've thought all along that his shoulder was bothering him last year so he started throwing differently which caused the lat to rip off. His velocity was down last year before he ripped off the lat. I hope my theory is wrong and it's just general soreness, but the lat should be fine if not stronger than ever by now.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 21, 2011 -> 10:59 PM)
If I turn out to be wrong, so be it. But the odds that I'm wrong are pretty low. Like really low.

You and I are worlds apart - enjoy the season Jordan - there's no use in me reading your posts from here on out =P

*edit - this ignore feature is pretty cool, I suggest it's use to all members of this board. ( should you ever find something repeatedly annoying. )*

Edited by hi8is

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 21, 2011 -> 05:59 PM)
That's fine with me. I'll be the new devil of the board. I'm NOT being mean or whatever, but I don't give a s*** what Humber has done this spring or what he's added. He's hippos***. If this were the Cubs, we'd all be laughing. But since it's the Sox there's some kinda fake hope that he can be good. That won't work on me. If I turn out to be wrong, so be it. But the odds that I'm wrong are pretty low. Like really low.

I feel like you have become the exact opposite. You'll search out the best of our competition and believe that, while assuming the worst for us. Almost like some sort of bizarre overcompensation so that no one can ever call you a homer and you can remain some kind of superior fan/purist or something. It sucks all the joy out of anything to do with the team, because no matter what, the conversation instantly goes negative. I don't get what the fun of following or coming here when every single conversation is how something is going to fail. Why even bother with it if that is really how you feel? I know if I get pissy about the team or game, I just turn it off and walk away.