The Possibility of a corner OF platoon

chw42

With Milledge probably making the team, the White Sox have a perfect platoon situation. Milledge rakes against left handed pitchers, something that Quentin and Teahen fail to do. Of course, Ozzie will probably NEVER do this on a regular basis, but there is the possibility that he could do something like this on a Sunday get-away game or when he wants to rest his starters.

Milledge vs. LHP

Career: 510 PA, .289, 13 HR, .350 wOBA

2010: 145 PA, 4HR, .400 wOBA

Quentin vs. RHP

Career: 1239 PA, .266, 70 HR, .370 wOBA

2010: 393 PA, .253, 20 HR, .361 wOBA

Teahen vs. RHP

Career: 2120 PA, .274, 51 HR, .332 wOBA

2010: 221 PA, .276, 4 HR, .336 wOBA

The best combination will be Milledge and Quentin. Not to mention Milledge is most likely a better defender than Quentin. There's not too many good platoon situations out there, but this looks like a pretty good situation for it to happen. Even though it probably won't.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Mar 29, 2011 -> 02:11 PM)
With Milledge probably making the team, the White Sox have a perfect platoon situation. Milledge rakes against left handed pitchers, something that Quentin and Teahen fail to do. Of course, Ozzie will probably NEVER do this on a regular basis, but there is the possibility that he could do something like this on a Sunday get-away game or when he wants to rest his starters.

Milledge vs. LHP

2010: 145 PA, ..400 wOBA

Quentin vs. RHP

Teahen vs. RHP

The best combination will be Milledge and Quentin. Not to mention Milledge is most likely a better defender than Quentin. There's not too many good platoon situations, but this looks like a pretty good situation for that to happen. Even though it probably won't.

I'd rather take the first couple of months to see if Quentin can rake on his own. If he can't, I have no problem with a platoon. If he can, though, I want him getting regular AB's. Q at his best >> Half-time Q and half-time Milledge.

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Mar 29, 2011 -> 12:13 PM)
I'd rather take the first couple of months to see if Quentin can rake on his own. If he can't, I have no problem with a platoon. If he can, though, I want him getting regular AB's. Q at his best >> Half-time Q and half-time Milledge.

I agree with your train of thought, but I just have a hard time believing that CQ is gonna consistently rake. The last two years have made me lose faith in him and how long do you give him until you start the platoon?

Well, yeah, obviously. 08 Quentin would make one of the best hitters in baseball. The problem is that he's never fully healthy for extended periods of time.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Mar 29, 2011 -> 12:31 PM)
A righty/righty platoon would never happen on an Ozzie managed team.

I realize that.

Reporter - "Ozzie, Carlos Quentin is hitting .300 against right handed pitchers this season, but only .200 against left handers, do you plan on sitting him against lefties?"

Ozzie - "Where you come up with those stats? Right hander never hit bad against left hander, it against rules of besibol. When I was a ked playing in streets of Venezuela, my manager would tell me to go hide in a trash can whenever the opposing pitcher throw with his left hand. You tink I'm going to break the tradition? Who the f*** you think I am? Buck Showalter?"

Edited by chw42

I'm with this. The best possible Sox team is a good TCQ. We have to give that a chance to happen.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Mar 29, 2011 -> 12:44 PM)
I realize that.

Reporter - "Ozzie, Carlos Quentin is hitting .300 against right handed pitchers this season, but only .200 against left handers, do you plan on sitting him against lefties?"

Ozzie - "Where you come up with those stats? Right hander never hit bad against left hander, it against rules of besibol. When I was a ked playing in streets of Venezuela, my manager would tell me to go hide in a trash can whenever the opposing pitcher throw with his left hand. You tink I'm going to break the tradition? Who the f*** you think I am? Buck Showalter?"

I heard Ozzie use the word phrase on-base percentage. I will seriously believe anything at this point in time, so it's possible that he may be receptive to a righty/righty platoon.

QUOTE (scotty22hotty @ Mar 29, 2011 -> 05:00 PM)
Quentin/Milledge/Teahen

worst RF platoon in all of baseball...

would rather just let CQ play

A platoon with 2 guys who can combine for a .380 wOBA is bad? Huh?

QUOTE (chw42 @ Mar 29, 2011 -> 06:53 PM)
A platoon with 2 guys who can combine for a .380 wOBA is bad? Huh?

Haha yeah, that actually sounds like one of the better RF platoons to me...

Again, if Q proves he just isn't going to find that Q!perman phone booth, platoon away. Just gotta let a few months play out first.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 30, 2011 -> 08:19 AM)
If they make Manny Ramirez look like a quality defender...

Cutting Q's time down out there could help. Milledge isn't great either, but I don't think he's nearly as bad as Quentin.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Mar 29, 2011 -> 06:11 PM)

Milledge vs. LHP

2010: 145 PA, 4HR, .400 wOBA

Quentin vs. RHP

Teahen vs. RHP

The best combination will be Milledge and Quentin. Not to mention Milledge is most likely a better defender than Quentin. There's not too many good platoon situations out there, but this looks like a pretty good situation for it to happen. Even though it probably won't.

A three person platoon for one spot? It's not a good idea and you are right it's not going to happen

QUOTE (chw42 @ Mar 30, 2011 -> 10:20 AM)
Cutting Q's time down out there could help. Milledge isn't great either, but I don't think he's nearly as bad as Quentin.

I get what you're saying. But we've got to see if 2008 was just indeed a career year. His value has diminished enough as it is. A part-time CQ is almost worthless. And if it gets to that point it'll at least let us know that he should be non-tendered next year.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 30, 2011 -> 02:58 PM)
I get what you're saying. But we've got to see if 2008 was just indeed a career year. His value has diminished enough as it is. A part-time CQ is almost worthless. And if it gets to that point it'll at least let us know that he should be non-tendered next year.

Q's going to have a pretty good year. The only way I see him getting non-tendered is if he spends a good deal of the year on the DL. But say he has a monster 1st half of the season then injured for the rest I still don't imagine he'd be non-tendered.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Mar 30, 2011 -> 07:07 PM)
Q's going to have a pretty good year. The only way I see him getting non-tendered is if he spends a good deal of the year on the DL. But say he has a monster 1st half of the season then injured for the rest I still don't imagine he'd be non-tendered.

Personally, I don't care if he goes Pujols the first half. Another significant injury and his time in a White Sox uniform is over, IMO.