4/8 Games

NorthSideSox72

Also, I'm sure I've asked already last year, but who is Terry Doyle, is why is he seemingly dominating all the time, but not getting any notice or promotion? I mean, he is in his 4th pro year, and has yet to post a K/BB lower than 2.91 at any level. He just doesn't seem to have enough arm strength though. It seems he only goes 4-5 innings each time. Wonder if it's pitch count, or lack of stamina.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Apr 9, 2011 -> 12:33 AM)
Also, I'm sure I've asked already last year, but who is Terry Doyle, is why is he seemingly dominating all the time, but not getting any notice or promotion? I mean, he is in his 4th pro year, and has yet to post a K/BB lower than 2.91 at any level. He just doesn't seem to have enough arm strength though. It seems he only goes 4-5 innings each time. Wonder if it's pitch count, or lack of stamina.

He dominated with Kannapolis early last year. He is older than the guys he is facing, and dominating like it. He will be in AA shortly if he throws a few more starts like this. They moved him up quickly last year.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 9, 2011 -> 09:21 AM)
FutureSox FutureSox.com

Barons won 7-2. Williams 2-5, 2B, HR. Short 3-5, 2B, K. Phegley 1-5, HR, 3 K. Peavy 3.2 IP, 2 UER, 4 K, BB, 5 H. Zaleski 5.1 IP, 5 K, BB, 2H

I love all the b****ing about this kid. Was he a huge reach? No doubt, but at least he's physically gifted. I have little faith that he'll ever sniff the pros, but our system is so weak we need to give kids like him a chance.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Apr 9, 2011 -> 10:49 AM)
I love all the b****ing about this kid. Was he a huge reach? No doubt, but at least he's physically gifted. I have little faith that he'll ever sniff the pros, but our system is so weak we need to give kids like him a chance.

It's not b****ing. It's embarrassment.

I think a AA leadoff hitter should be a prospect. Not minor league filler, which he is.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 9, 2011 -> 10:52 AM)
It's not b****ing. It's embarrassment.

I think a AA leadoff hitter should be a prospect. Not minor league filler, which he is.

I agee it's an embarassment. He shouldn't be in AA or a leadoff hitter, but that team isn't exactly overflowing with talent this year. We shouldn't hold it against the kid that nepotism played a role in his early selection and most likely his minor league advancement. He is what he is, a very fringe prospect. Having said that, I'd rather give him a chance than some 30 year career minor leaguer. As I said earlier, he has some physical tools. It's not like we're talking about Josh Shafer here.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Apr 9, 2011 -> 12:35 PM)
I agee it's an embarassment. He shouldn't be in AA or a leadoff hitter, but that team isn't exactly overflowing with talent this year. We shouldn't hold it against the kid that nepotism played a role in his early selection and most likely his minor league advancement. He is what he is, a very fringe prospect. Having said that, I'd rather give him a chance than some 30 year career minor leaguer. As I said earlier, he has some physical tools. It's not like we're talking about Josh Shafer here.

That's a four letter word in Birmingham.

QUOTE (Springfield SoxFan @ Apr 9, 2011 -> 12:40 PM)
I agree with everything that has been said about KW JR, but ironically, he did have a good hitting game last night.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/break...9,0,65498.story

Haters gonna hate. If he performs, then fine. If he sucks and keeps playing and leading off, then he's gonna hear about it from me.

Serious question here... If he were not Kenny's son, would his tools merit interest ala Thompson and Mitchell? Reading the descriptions about him, Williams sounds like his upside, and the upside of Mitchell are about the same. Is that true? If not, who is a good comp for Williams if he hits his potential?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 10, 2011 -> 09:14 AM)
Serious question here... If he were not Kenny's son, would his tools merit interest ala Thompson and Mitchell? Reading the descriptions about him, Williams sounds like his upside, and the upside of Mitchell are about the same. Is that true? If not, who is a good comp for Williams if he hits his potential?

Tyler Kuhn pinch ran for him last night, so I doubt his speed or defense is comparable to Mitchell.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Apr 10, 2011 -> 01:02 PM)
Tyler Kuhn pinch ran for him last night, so I doubt his speed or defense is comparable to Mitchell.

Had a friend see him play in a game in Omaha, and said he was ridiculously fast, like the fastest player on Wichita State's team. And, not that it's exact, but Williams does have another son in the NFL as a WR/KR, so speed is in the genes.

More likely, I would say that Williams was pinch run for because he's a poor base runner. He's 9 for 16 in stolen bases in the minors, so I am just guessing that that's indicative of his baserunning ability.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 10, 2011 -> 05:13 PM)
Had a friend see him play in a game in Omaha, and said he was ridiculously fast, like the fastest player on Wichita State's team. And, not that it's exact, but Williams does have another son in the NFL as a WR/KR, so speed is in the genes.

More likely, I would say that Williams was pinch run for because he's a poor base runner. He's 9 for 16 in stolen bases in the minors, so I am just guessing that that's indicative of his baserunning ability.

Or to get someone else into the game. Without knowing the situation, score etc, it is hard to say why.

Again, I am curious to hear an unbiased read on Williams upside.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 10, 2011 -> 05:20 PM)
Or to get someone else into the game. Without knowing the situation, score etc, it is hard to say why.

Again, I am curious to hear an unbiased read on Williams upside.

I'm guessing Jerry Owens, perhaps not as fast though. Don't think he's very strong or powerful, not an incredibly patient hitter, but he's OK and can draw a walk. I'd guess OK defensively. Probably a 4th outfielder if he ever makes it, not sure that he will though.

Just to point it out, other franchises do this too. In fact, the Tigers have been more guilty of it, considering they are starting the son of front office man at catcher and the son of the manager is in the minor leagues. Avila was drafted in the 5th round, Leyland in the 8th.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 10, 2011 -> 05:36 PM)
I'm guessing Jerry Owens, perhaps not as fast though. Don't think he's very strong or powerful, not an incredibly patient hitter, but he's OK and can draw a walk. I'd guess OK defensively. Probably a 4th outfielder if he ever makes it, not sure that he will though.

Just to point it out, other franchises do this too. In fact, the Tigers have been more guilty of it, considering they are starting the son of front office man at catcher and the son of the manager is in the minor leagues. Avila was drafted in the 5th round, Leyland in the 8th.

From what I've read, he's a raw speed/power type player, so I wouldn't compare him to Owens. He's just never made good contact, so his chance of making the pros is extremely unlikely. There's no doubt he's physically gifted though. He's also been unhealthy since we drafted him, which hasn't helped with his development. I have no problem giving him a chance as an everyday player, but AA seems too high for him right now.