New Comiskey Park, or US Cellular Field, turns 20 today

southsider2k5

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/wh...-back-soon.html

Ballpark to turn 20

Monday marks the 20th anniversary of the ballpark that was called Comiskey Park before U.S. Cellular purchased naming rights in 2003. Guillen made the transition from the old park to the new one in 1991.

‘‘This ballpark has come a long way. This park was pretty ugly. It was all concrete. But this city was pretty excited. All of a sudden every city wanted a new ballpark. The mistake we made was being the first one. But what they did here was amazing [modifying the park]. I think people in Chicago and White Sox fans appreciate it because all the revenue [it generates], all the new stuff they do for kids. Whoever came up with the idea to knock down the third level was a genius.’’

Time sure flies. My gosh.

I know The Cell is in the eyes of the beholder.

I know a KC radio guy who says he really loves the Cell and another radio guy says he likes

it much better than Wrigley even tho the national perception is Wrigley is heaven, etc.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Apr 18, 2011 -> 12:24 PM)
IMO U.S. Cellular should have had a retractable dome from the get go. Imagine how nice it would be to go to games when during crappy weather like we've been having. I would go to MANY more games if the stadium had a roof. It's working for Miller Park.

Ehhhhh This is Chicago were men, lets play baseball where its supposed to be played, outside.

IMO U.S. Cellular should have had a retractable dome from the get go. Imagine how nice it would be to go to games when during crappy weather like we've been having. I would go to MANY more games if the stadium had a roof. It's working for Miller Park.

I'd agree with this, I bet the attendance numbers would be much better in april and may.

Then I hope you like the Cubs, because the Sox would have been gone to St Pete. It was about 12:30am, or about 30 minutes past the "deadline" to get the bill passed to build the new park. And that was the cheapassed stadium that we got built. If they had demanded something like a retractable roof, the team would have been gone.

I like it the way it is. I'm not against retractable roofs, but even when they're open, it still feels like you're inside--I'm speaking of Miller Park. I don't know how it is in the other retractable roof stadiums.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (kev211 @ Apr 18, 2011 -> 02:21 PM)
Ehhhhh This is Chicago were men, lets play baseball where its supposed to be played, outside.

I wonder how many times you've been out there freezing your ass off in April or early May, or September or October. I'm not saying play 100% in a dome like The Hubert H. Hunkas*** dome in Minneapolis or whatever that thing is called down in Tampa. Retractable domes are niiiice. Open it up if there's no rain or it's above 60 degrees outside.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 18, 2011 -> 02:32 PM)
Then I hope you like the Cubs, because the Sox would have been gone to St Pete. It was about 12:30am, or about 30 minutes past the "deadline" to get the bill passed to build the new park. And that was the cheapassed stadium that we got built. If they had demanded something like a retractable roof, the team would have been gone.

Eh I guess you're right. Too bad they couldn't build the thing so a dome could be added to it later. You have to admit that it would be nice to have a domed stadium when it's cold and rainy outside. I bet the place would attract a LOT more fans. Call me crazy, but I refuse to go out there and PAY to freeze my balls off in when it's cold and rainy when I can watch it nice and cozy on the tv. Sorry.

Edited by Chet Kincaid

The mistake we made was being the first one.

No, the mistake that we made was being cheap. JR and the rest of the Board could've built Camden Yards at 35th and Shields, but didn't want to pay for anything out-of-pocket.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 18, 2011 -> 02:32 PM)

I was talking once to a cousin who is an architect, we were discussing the highly specialized field of sports stadiums. A stadium with a retractable roof, all else roughly equal, costs about TWICE as much to build. Its not just some small add-on, its hugely expensive.

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 18, 2011 -> 12:40 PM)
I like it the way it is. I'm not against retractable roofs, but even when they're open, it still feels like you're inside--I'm speaking of Miller Park. I don't know how it is in the other retractable roof stadiums.

Safeco Field is nice, but still doesn't feel like an old-time ballpark. Minute Maid Park is kind of "meh," but Houston is unbearable outdoors in the summer, so I'll take the roof and the A/C.

Retractable roofs are useful and sometimes necessary in bad climates (Texas, Florida, Minnesota), but I'm not quite sure that Chicago falls into that category. I'd rather be slightly uncomfortable and outdoors.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Apr 18, 2011 -> 02:48 PM)
I wonder how many times you've been out there freezing your ass off in April or early May, or September or October. I'm not saying play 100% in a dome like The Hubert H. Hunkas*** dome in Minneapolis or whatever that thing is called down in Tampa. Retractable domes are niiiice. Open it up if there's no rain or it's above 60 degrees outside.

Eh I guess you're right. Too bad they couldn't build the thing so a dome could be added to it later. You have to admit that it would be nice to have a domed stadium when it's cold and rainy outside. I bet the place would attract a LOT more fans. Call me crazy, but I refuse to go out there and PAY to freeze my balls off in when it's cold and rainy when I can watch it nice and cozy on the tv. Sorry.

I wasn't too bad about cold if it was a game I wanted to see. That has changed with kids though.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Apr 18, 2011 -> 03:11 PM)
I have to admit though... the coldest I've ever been at a game was the Blackout game in 2008, and I didn't mind that at all. That game was EPIC.

Opening Day 2003 or 2004 was mine. It was the game where it rained for like two hours before the game got started, and it was about 35 degrees out.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 18, 2011 -> 01:13 PM)
Opening Day 2003 or 2004 was mine. It was the game where it rained for like two hours before the game got started, and it was about 35 degrees out.

I think that was Opening Day 2003, and that was probably the worst baseball experience I've ever had. My wife and I left about an hour into the rain delay, when the rain began to fall harder. As we were walking down the upper deck ramps, the wind picked up and it began thundering and lightning. By the time we got to the car, it took me about 15 seconds to open the door because I could barely move my fingers. After then getting stuck in rush hour, we finally made it up to the north side and watched the game with friends up at Goose Island.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE (kev211 @ Apr 18, 2011 -> 01:21 PM)

bear weather.

That's ludicrous. I would kill for a retractable roof at this point. I have been prepared to go to 2 more sox games already this year, but I just refuse to go when it's 40 degrees and sleeting.

QUOTE (SnB @ Apr 18, 2011 -> 04:23 PM)
bear weather.

That's ludicrous. I would kill for a retractable roof at this point. I have been prepared to go to 2 more sox games already this year, but I just refuse to go when it's 40 degrees and sleeting.

This. I would also like that to be the last time anyone says "bear weather" anywhere.