Konerko play of the year...?

macsandz

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ May 12, 2011 -> 12:37 AM)
What an unreal play by PK!!!

Great play, no doubt about it. Also a very unusual play which could help, but I don't think this is play of the year material. Just think about Buehrle's play last year. This play is nowhere near it IMO

QUOTE (hawkubes @ May 12, 2011 -> 12:55 AM)
Great play, no doubt about it. Also a very unusual play which could help, but I don't think this is play of the year material. Just think about Buehrle's play last year. This play is nowhere near it IMO

They were just comparing the two on ESPNews and the anchors said "it was in the ballpark". I tend to agree but it won't get the shelf life or public acclaim. Many will never see it (as the play happened on the west coast) plus you are missing the hype of opening day.

QUOTE (sin city sox fan @ May 12, 2011 -> 12:58 AM)
They were just comparing the two on ESPNews and the anchors said "it was in the ballpark". I tend to agree but it won't get the shelf life or public acclaim. Many will never see it (as the play happened on the west coast) plus you are missing the hype of opening day.

The more I watch it, the more impressive it looks. It's also a great play by Thornton, but I will stand by my statement. It is funny to see sportscenter flash up the other "top play nominees" for the night. Paulie's play is a no-brainer as far as that's concerned

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ May 12, 2011 -> 01:59 AM)
No, definitely not play of the year, and maybe not even play of the week with Betancourt's slick flip a couple days ago (although his was a little unnecessary).

Thornton looked like a 3 legged dog running to 1B, but he made a nice barehanded grab. Not play of the year material, although the timing of it certainly gives it a few more bonus points IMO

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 12, 2011 -> 07:01 AM)
Brandon Phillips has made a couple plays similar to Konerko's last night. That said, amazing play by PK.

Not to mention Sam Fuld literally making 2 or 3 of the top plays of the year by himself. That was still a great play though by PK.

Just saw the replay, helluva of a play by PK, as well as by Thornton to catch it with one hand mid-stride and make it to the base in time.

That being said, I still think Lilli's plays were better, especially considering the Sox would have lost had he not made them.

i think pk's play was just a tick below buehrle's, but not by much. As far as betancourt is concerned - he's a shortstop, he's supposed to make flashy plays. when's the last time you saw that kind of play from a 1B?