Edwin Jackson Appreciation Thread

nitetrain8601

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 09:12 PM)
You were inconsistent, annoying, and not particularly fun to watch. Peace.

If he worked faster, I think he'd be a Cy Young Award candidate.

He doesn't work fast, thus is maddening sometimes.

I won't miss him, but I can't deny he had a lot of fine performances.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 07:00 PM)
In his one year with the Sox, Jackson was 11-9 with a 3.66 ERA. Not bad. Gavin Floyd has never had a season with an ERA that low. Neither has John Danks. Jackson was a lot better with the Sox than most realize.

Yeah, he could be frustrating with high pitch counts/nibbling, but gave us a quality performance overall. I wish him well, and wouldn't mind seeing him back here again in the future.

I believe that late in his career there's a chance he could evolve into a terrific closer.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 08:26 PM)
Yeah, he could be frustrating with high pitch counts/nibbling, but gave us a quality performance overall. I wish him well, and wouldn't mind seeing him back here again in the future.

I believe that late in his career there's a chance he could evolve into a terrific closer.

I also think he may have a Jose Contreras 2005-6 run in him. When his career is over, he'll be one of those guys most will say could have and maybe should have been so much more, but the numbers will still show was a pretty good pitcher.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 08:00 PM)
In his one year with the Sox, Jackson was 11-9 with a 3.66 ERA. Not bad. Gavin Floyd has never had a season with an ERA that low. John Danks did once. Jackson was a lot better with the Sox than most realize.

And somehow strangely enough, he was a lot worse with the Sox than most realize.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 08:00 PM)
In his one year with the Sox, Jackson was 11-9 with a 3.66 ERA. Not bad. Gavin Floyd has never had a season with an ERA that low. John Danks did once. Jackson was a lot better with the Sox than most realize.

He was brilliant after acquisition last year, but this year, not so much. Maddeningly inconsistent and undependable.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 07:40 PM)
And somehow strangely enough, he was a lot worse with the Sox than most realize.

You know who has been a better pitcher than Edwin Jackson since the trade? That cheaper, younger guy we gave up for him who is under Arizona's control for the forseeable future.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 08:35 PM)
I also think he may have a Jose Contreras 2005-6 run in him. When his career is over, he'll be one of those guys most will say could have and maybe should have been so much more, but the numbers will still show was a pretty good pitcher.

Thats what six teams have been hoping for now...

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 08:32 PM)
Thats what six teams have been hoping for now...

Yeah. The Sox aren't the only team that has made a bad deal for Edwin, and I think St. Louis will be looked at as yet another in that group eventually.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 08:41 PM)
He was brilliant after acquisition last year, but this year, not so much. Maddeningly inconsistent and undependable.

Gavin Floyd is terrible half the time, John Danks has stretches where he's bad, Mark Buerhle goes on binges getting lit up at the end of the year, their numbers are usually around where they always are, and if they went 11-9 with a 3.66 ERA you would say they were pretty good. Edwin Jackson, as much as many hated the deal was pretty good with the White Sox. I think Daniel Hudson, had the deal not been made, would have had a tough time matching those numbers.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 07:05 AM)
Gavin Floyd is terrible half the time, John Danks has stretches where he's bad, Mark Buerhle goes on binges getting lit up at the end of the year, their numbers are usually around where they always are, and if they went 11-9 with a 3.66 ERA you would say they were pretty good. Edwin Jackson, as much as many hated the deal was pretty good with the White Sox. I think Daniel Hudson, had the deal not been made, would have had a tough time matching those numbers.

You could be right. We'll never know. This is an organization that prides itself on giving perceived 'busts' second chances. Yet they gave up on Hudson after three starts. You don't sell out for Edwin Jackson. A guy that you knew had no future with the team after this year. It was blatantly shortsighted and a permanent black mark on Kenny's resume. And god help us if Holmberg turns out to be an effective starter at the major league level.

Cooper just said the Jackson/Hudson trade worked out for the Sox.

He thinks their numbers are similar. Yeah, no they're not.

And if you factor team control and a 20-year-old lefty named Holmberg also in the move, no, the trade did not work out for the Sox.

Edited by flavum

It all depends on what we get out of Stewart and Frasor (comp pick), etc.

Six weeks ago, you never would have imagined that you 1) could get rid of Teahen for 2012, 2) get one of the top 5-10 RH set-up men in the game, and 3) get a top pitching prospect who has more than a good chance to have a better career than Holmberg, and possibly to be the equivalent of Hudson (unlikely, but definitely possible)

One can't underestimate the dumping of Teahen from a financial standpoint without any future obligation.

That alone basically wipes out a lot of the salary/payroll we spent on Jackson this past year, more or less.

Edited by caulfield12