Thornton to the Texas Rangers?

SOXOBAMA

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 11:56 AM)
Sale would take at least 4 weeks before he'd even be ready to start and go 5-6 innings.

Maybe 5 or 6.

They'd be better off using Doug Davis or Hector Santiago. There aren't very many good options. Stewart's not ready, and it seems Cooper might ask to work with him as the long man first out of the bullpen before they're ready to consider him as a starter.

Probably we won't see him (Stewart or Sale, for that matter) get a start until SEPT or more than likely spring training.

4 man rotation 8 man pen or Sale can probably go 4 or 5 innings right now. So can Santiago. It isn't a big stretch to be creative for the last 2 months of the season for a 5th starter. Make the playoffs and you go to 4 anyway.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 11:32 AM)
They probably shouldn't from a organizational standpoint, but whether we like it or not, Kenny is going to think about how the average fan is going to react to such a trade. Thornton is a fan favorite, has been here for many years, and is still an elite BP arm. Unless he gets a player he really wants, I don't see Matt getting moved.

Winning and getting runs and hitting HR's are fan favorites. I don't see Matty putting any extra butts in the seats nor would losing him mean any less.

A four man rotation this far out is going to kill them by early August.

We tried this down the stretch in 2008 and they barely made it over the last 2-3 weeks, and the rotation was in such shambles we had no choice but to throw Javy out there to get mowed down.

If you try to go to that desperation move and you still have Peavy or Humber in the rotation, you're doubly dead.

But I think this is being done with the idea that one of them (or both?) would be traded, yes??

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 12:14 PM)
A four man rotation this far out is going to kill them by early August.

We tried this down the stretch in 2008 and they barely made it over the last 2-3 weeks, and the rotation was in such shambles we had no choice but to throw Javy out there to get mowed down.

If you try to go to that desperation move and you still have Peavy or Humber in the rotation, you're doubly dead.

But I think this is being done with the idea that one of them (or both?) would be traded, yes??

There's no perfect move . You and I both know that. I want the Sox to make the playoffs and when they get there at least be capable of getting some runs. Pitching is our strength now. Salary and hitting our weaknesses. Sure it stresses the bullpen and starters. We are in desperation mode now unless we're giving up on this year.

And a 10-4 record, although his ERA's a bit high, a lot of that can be explained away by pitching in that ballpark 1/2 the time.

Fastest infield since the Cardinals/Royals astroturf cookie-cutter fields in the 80's.

Rangers will have 4 10 game winners, and then I think CJ Wilson or Harrison has 9.

49-28 record for the starting pitchers.

3.49 starter's ERA, .242 average against

Holland just threw a 96 MPH fastball on his 95th pitch. No way they would trade Holland for Danks, Thornton AND Quentin.

4 shutouts equals Cliff Lee for MLB lead.

Edited by caulfield12

CSN:

Texas doesn't appear inclined to trade Holland, as they countered the White Sox offer by asking for John Danks to be included in any deal involving Holland.

Given the White Sox's asking price for Thornton and Carlos Quentin appears to be sky-high, it could be a fairly quiet deadline for Kenny Williams after he dealt Mark Teahen and Edwin Jackson earlier in the week.

QUOTE (buhbuhburrrrlz @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 02:54 PM)
CSN:

Texas doesn't appear inclined to trade Holland, as they countered the White Sox offer by asking for John Danks to be included in any deal involving Holland.

Given the White Sox's asking price for Thornton and Carlos Quentin appears to be sky-high, it could be a fairly quiet deadline for Kenny Williams after he dealt Mark Teahen and Edwin Jackson earlier in the week.

This could be true and Kenny is standing pat. Or this could be misinformation so that other teams sweat it out until the last minute and give KW what he wants.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 01:07 PM)
Danks/Thornton/Quentin for Holland still won't get it done.

Unless they could agree to a contract extension with Danks, but why do that when they control Holland cheaply for 4 more years? Doesn't make any sense from a financial standpoint for the Rangers.

I'm gonna go ahead and believe the reporters that say Danks/Matt would get it done rather than your silly opinion that it would take Quentin too, lol.

QUOTE (Knackattack @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 02:39 PM)
I'm gonna go ahead and believe the reporters that say Danks/Matt would get it done rather than your silly opinion that it would take Quentin too, lol.

Why would Daniels do this?

Holland's already arguably a better pitcher (and yes, Danks has been VERY good recently), and has clearly better stuff than Danks. He's 10-4 with 4 shutouts already.

Yet you're going to pay Danks 80 million for 5 years instead? When you can pay Holland $20-25 million?

Because you don't trade for Danks unless you can extend him. And Matt Thornton isn't a bargain contract for a team that was recently bankrupt.

If this was Jackson/Hudson again, and that was clearly a horrible trade according to everyone, why would including Matt Thornton make it a great deal? If anything, I'd be happy to get that contract off the books since he's never going to be a closer for the Sox and we already have Sale/Ohman/Santiago from the left hand side.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 03:07 PM)
Danks/Thornton/Quentin for Holland still won't get it done.

Unless they could agree to a contract extension with Danks, but why do that when they control Holland cheaply for 4 more years? Doesn't make any sense from a financial standpoint for the Rangers.

Then Texas can keep Holland!

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jul 31, 2011 -> 06:19 PM)
folks have noted #reds top catching prospect devin mesoraco not in louisville lineup today. im told just a day off.

Would the Reds have any interest in Matt Thornton? Just speculating, but we need a legit catching prospect, not a fringy guy like Flowers.

No offense Joe, but do people even look at the other team's roster before making a trade proposal? Reds have Chapman and Bray, so they absolutely do not need another lefty reliever.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 31, 2011 -> 12:23 PM)
No offense Joe, but do people even look at the other team's roster before making a trade proposal? Reds have Chapman and Bray, so they absolutely do not need another lefty reliever.

I don't recall saying they need Matt Thornton, or are looking for a LHRP. I asked if they would have any interest in him, hence, I don't know what they might be looking for right now.