1st place by Labor Day

sin city sox fan

This team played perhaps it's best baseball of the season over the weekend. Rios seems to be turning things around and the pitching continues to be rock solid. With Ozzie's motivation, I still believe the potential of this team will be realized. In the game thread, I mentioned first place by the end of the month. Looking at the schedule, I think the more realistic possibility is Labor Day weekend when we wrap up a series with the Tigers. I know some may think I'm crazy, but I firmly believe the Sox will be in first place when we leave Detroit. Who's on board?

Jump on board this crazy train or sentence me to insane asylum.....than let's look back in a month and see who was right.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (sin city sox fan @ Aug 7, 2011 -> 04:54 PM)
This team played perhaps it's best baseball of the season over the weekend. Rios seems to be turning things around and the pitching continues to be rock solid. With Ozzie's motivation, I still believe the potential of this team will be realized. In the game thread, I mentioned first place by the end of the month. Looking at the schedule, I think the more realistic possibility is Labor Day weekend when we wrap up a series with the Tigers. I know some may think I'm crazy, but I firmly believe the Sox will be in first place when we leave Detroit. Who's on board?

Jump on board this crazy train or sentence me to insane asylum.....than let's look back in a month and see who was right.

How I hope you're right- and you can always dream. Unfortunately the mantra for the 2011 White Sox has been to tease, tease, tease just enough to keep our interest right when we were ready to move on to something else.

I hope this isn't another fools gold moment but it certainly is nice to watch them play 3 consecutive ball games like this in Minnesota. Going to Baltimore against Showalter is a bit shaky as he out manages Ozzie each game, so we're going to have to rely on just beating them with the talent on the field if to continue to make up ground. I am still watching the games, hoping that we can get hot and peel off a 10 game winning streak, so from this standpoint I guess I am "in"...

QUOTE (flavum @ Aug 7, 2011 -> 05:14 PM)
I'm happy about the sweep, but there's no reason to get excited about being 3 under .500 after 113 games, with a losing record at home and the division.

Get over .500 and under 5 games out, and we'll talk...

The way it's been going, if they get over .500, they'll be less than 5 games out, so that should cover step one and two.

I love the sentiment of this post, but this season has left me teased more times than my sophomore year of high school.

This team went 32-21 despite Alex Rios, Adam Dunn, Ozzie Guillen, Ken Williams and everyone else anyone would care to blame for most of this season. The team didnt play spectacularly well during that stretch. If they win that same percentage of remaining games, they will finish the season with 84 wins. Its not asking this team to do what they have not already done before this season, with the same problems that are apparently with them for the duration.

Unfortunately, a lot of it is simply out of their hands now. This team is probably not capable of winning many more than 84-86 games, and the tigers would need to play several games under .500 to give us a chance.

No, Greg, don't go to the dark side, too.

I'm going to take the optimistic route and say they have a pretty good chance to make it...but they have to make up some ground next week.

Who are DET and CLE playing against?

If Humber can come back around (50/50, right?) with the six-man rotation giving him more recovery time, and Rios and Lillibridge play like they have the last two games, they could actually do it. You have to like what you saw out of Carlos Quentin too, 2 opposite field doubles. Harrelson's right, he does that consistently and he's a .285-.305 hitter and close to MVP level again. He's just so naturally strong, he doesn't need to pull everything to collect homers all over the diamond.

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Aug 7, 2011 -> 05:56 PM)
This team went 32-21 despite Alex Rios, Adam Dunn, Ozzie Guillen, Ken Williams and everyone else anyone would care to blame for most of this season. The team didnt play spectacularly well during that stretch. If they win that same percentage of remaining games, they will finish the season with 84 wins. Its not asking this team to do what they have not already done before this season, with the same problems that are apparently with them for the duration.

Unfortunately, a lot of it is simply out of their hands now. This team is probably not capable of winning many more than 84-86 games, and the tigers would need to play several games under .500 to give us a chance.

And when they went 32-21 earlier this season, I don't think they played as fundamentally sound as they did this week. They went into a place they always struggle at and kicked some Twinkies ass three days in a row. I'm not sure how it did...but I think Ozzie has really inspired this team and its ready to go on a roll the rest of the way!

this week

DET AT CLE ....(Tue-Thurs)

then

DET AT BALT (after our four-game sweep)

MINN AT CLE

So Cleveland sweeps DET at home, then Minnesota sweeps the Indians (not likely, but hey, why not?)

Definitely do-able to get within 3, and possibly 2 games back of the Tigers by the end of this week.

Realistic?

Not so much.

Possible. Sure.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (sin city sox fan @ Aug 7, 2011 -> 08:13 PM)
And when they went 32-21 earlier this season, I don't think they played as fundamentally sound as they did this week. They went into a place they always struggle at and kicked some Twinkies ass three days in a row. I'm not sure how it did...but I think Ozzie has really inspired this team and its ready to go on a roll the rest of the way!

I'm not sure Ozzie can do anything at this point... I think perhaps the players have inspired themselves. Let's get back the real Alex Rios and the real Jake Peavy and then we'll take this thing, even if Dunn stays in the s***ter the rest of the year.

And I know the Twins are terrible, but it doesn't matter how good/bad they are, we always fold up when we play them.

This sweep means something. This is important.

weirdaluhf.gif

QUOTE (JoshPR @ Aug 7, 2011 -> 06:57 PM)
I would love a Rockies type run, that would be awesome, but I ain't getting high hopes just to come crashing down when they get beat by awful teams

Nothing wrong with having high hopes for your favorite team. If they do good you ride the wave. If they suck you have to shrug it off , not come "crashing down". As much as we all love the Sox we shouldn't live and die with them.