Sox vs. Royals

Heads22

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

A shutout against the Royals isn't happening.

They have too many good fastball hitters.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/batvspitch/_...3926/bruce-chen

AJ and Juan Pierre have hit really well against Chen. If you look at the splits, they'll tell the numbers against RHB and LHB aren't very different at all.

Here's a suggested line-up.

Pierre

Morel (because he is our best #2 guy going forward)

Konerko

Quentin

AJ

Ramirez

Rios (4 for 25 against Chen but hot as of late)

Lillibridge (for Beckham at 2B)

DeAza (for Dunn/DH)

Beckham is 1 for 10 against Chen. Beckham can't hit a fastball on the outside half or up, and it seems all he will do is pull every outside pitch on the ground to the 3B or SS if he does actually make contact.

At least this way you get Dunn/Beckham out of the line-up and a lot more pop and athleticism from the bottom of the order. DeAza has hit lefties well in AAA this year, so not worried about that, and Chen hasn't had great success against LHB's this year either.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 12, 2011 -> 06:52 AM)
A shutout against the Royals isn't happening.

They have too many good fastball hitters.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/batvspitch/_...3926/bruce-chen

AJ and Juan Pierre have hit really well against Chen. If you look at the splits, they'll tell the numbers against RHB and LHB aren't very different at all.

Here's a suggested line-up.

Pierre

Morel (because he is our best #2 guy going forward)

Konerko

Quentin

AJ

Ramirez

Rios (4 for 25 against Chen but hot as of late)

Lillibridge (for Beckham at 2B)

DeAza (for Dunn/DH)

Beckham is 1 for 10 against Chen. Beckham can't hit a fastball on the outside half or up, and it seems all he will do is pull every outside pitch on the ground to the 3B or SS if he does actually make contact.

At least this way you get Dunn/Beckham out of the line-up and a lot more pop and athleticism from the bottom of the order. DeAza has hit lefties well in AAA this year, so not worried about that, and Chen hasn't had great success against LHB's this year either.

I mostly agree, except for the Morel part. We had him in the 2 hole and he failed, and we'd be jerking Lexi around yet again. Leave him at #9 this season and approach things with an open mind in the spring.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Aug 12, 2011 -> 09:41 AM)
I mostly agree, except for the Morel part. We had him in the 2 hole and he failed, and we'd be jerking Lexi around yet again. Leave him at #9 this season and approach things with an open mind in the spring.

Look at Alexei's hit chart. He simply can't do the Iguchi-esque things that Morel can....execution-wise....he doesn't change his approach for the situation or count. Same thing with Quentin and Beckham. They're just up there hacking away and pulling everything. Rios, too.

Morel is a team player and does the little things you don't notice in the box score.

The only problem with putting Ramirez in the RBI spot is that he has sucked with runners on base, hit into way too many DP's for his speed and he's still a more dangerous hitter than Morel so you can certainly argue him getting more pitches to hit with Juan Pierre on base in front of him...that's the strongest argument on Ramirez's behalf.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 12, 2011 -> 08:52 AM)
Look at Alexei's hit chart. He simply can't do the Iguchi-esque things that Morel can....execution-wise....he doesn't change his approach for the situation or count. Same thing with Quentin and Beckham. They're just up there hacking away and pulling everything. Rios, too.

Morel is a team player and does the little things you don't notice in the box score.

The only problem with putting Ramirez in the RBI spot is that he has sucked with runners on base, hit into way too many DP's for his speed and he's still a more dangerous hitter than Morel so you can certainly argue him getting more pitches to hit with Juan Pierre on base in front of him...that's the strongest argument on Ramirez's behalf.

I've observed (though I haven't checked #'s) that Lexi draws more walks and is generally more patient batting 2nd. I like walks in front of our two guys who will each hit 35+ HR. When Morel shows that he can walk more than 5 times in a season, consider him for the 2 hole THEN.

Fundamentally, I believe that OBP in the 2 hole is still more impt. than small-ball execution.

If there's one lefty Dunn should face, it's Chen. Lefties have more success off him than righties because he uses his fastball more against LHB, throws more junk to RHB

My guess, Ozzie has no clue on this and goes almost completely right handed and we lose 3-0 or 3-1