Indians awarded claim on Thome

justBLAZE

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Without reading through the rest of the thread first, the answer is absolutely not. Jim Thome deserves a chance to get to another World Series. He would not have that chance here. It should be our job as a loyal former team to allow him to pass by us. If the Indians want to play the bad guy and pick him up, despite also having no chance at a title, then let them.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 23, 2011 -> 09:31 AM)
Without reading through the rest of the thread first, the answer is absolutely not. Jim Thome deserves a chance to get to another World Series. He would not have that chance here. It should be our job as a loyal former team to allow him to pass by us. If the Indians want to play the bad guy and pick him up, despite also having no chance at a title, then let them.

:notworthy

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Aug 23, 2011 -> 11:14 AM)
There is also the Konerko situation to consider. I recently read that it will be a while before we see him at 1B.

Plus wouldn't they have to send someone down until September? IF we were to set emotion aside, having Thome doesn't really make much sense. He can only DH and he's been a part time one at that.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 23, 2011 -> 11:37 AM)
If people around baseball have as much respect for the man as they seem to, they'll let him get to the Phillies. That man, more than any other player in the game, deserves to be given that chance.

You really don't think any other team has a chance to beat the Phillies?

If you are all in then you are in the hunt for Thome. I would not be averse to that move and would welcome it. As far as the earlier post on Ozzie and KW looking like double idiots. Well, if it's the truth then wear that badge Ozzie adn KW. That move of the rotating DH using who we had was ridiculous.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 23, 2011 -> 11:45 AM)
You really don't think any other team has a chance to beat the Phillies?

Not many. The Phillies are just the perfect team for him, as they need the guy off of the bench and he's played there before. I don't think Boston has a spot for him, and I'm not sure about the Yankees.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Aug 23, 2011 -> 11:48 AM)
If you are all in then you are in the hunt for Thome. I would not be averse to that move and would welcome it. As far as the earlier post on Ozzie and KW looking like double idiots. Well, if it's the truth then wear that badge Ozzie adn KW. That move of the rotating DH using who we had was ridiculous.

I can't believe anybody is still all in.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 23, 2011 -> 11:49 AM)
Not many. The Phillies are just the perfect team for him, as they need the guy off of the bench and he's played there before. I don't think Boston has a spot for him, and I'm not sure about the Yankees.

Atlanta and/or Milwaukee could probably use him and both are near playoff locks. If they had the chance, I think they would have to claim him, since Philly is their top competition in the NL. But yeah, I would agree that a team like Anaheim or STL claiming him would suck, considering their playoff odds are slim but none, and he deserves a last chance at a ring.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 23, 2011 -> 11:53 AM)
Look, the fact of the matter is that claiming Thome is like chaining him to the deck of the Titanic. This ship is going down, and it's just plain unfair to him to bring him down with us. Let him try to find a lifeboat that will bring him to the promised land.

Since when is this game fair? If we claim him then to bad.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 23, 2011 -> 12:00 PM)
It doesnt have to be fair, but still it would be a s***ty move to block Thome from going somewhere where he could win that title. One of the best guys in baseball history deserves that chance IMO.

Exactly. I don't want to be the petty fat kid who gets eliminated first, takes his ball and goes home, ruining it for everyone else just because we suck.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 23, 2011 -> 12:00 PM)
It doesnt have to be fair, but still it would be a s***ty move to block Thome from going somewhere where he could win that title. One of the best guys in baseball history deserves that chance IMO.

And were trying to do that, and if he can help us in trying to do that there is nothing s***ty about that..

QUOTE (Papa Tru @ Aug 23, 2011 -> 12:03 PM)
And were trying to do that, and if he can help us in trying to do that there is nothing s***ty about that..

Exactly...its not like were out of contention.

Ugh, the only people with that attitude are the very few fans of the Sox who still think we're in it. I guarantee even Thome would breathe a sigh of disappointment if he heard that the Sox claimed him, and probably his teammates on both the Twins and Sox.

QUOTE (Baron @ Aug 23, 2011 -> 12:04 PM)
Exactly...its not like were out of contention.

Haha, Jesus Tittyf***ing Christ. We're in contention the same way that the Cubs are in contention at the beginning of every single year. Sure, there's a mathematical chance, but there really isn't.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 23, 2011 -> 12:05 PM)
Ugh, the only people with that attitude are the very few fans of the Sox who still think we're in it. I guarantee even Thome would breathe a sigh of disappointment if he heard that the Sox claimed him, and probably his teammates on both the Twins and Sox.

Were 5.5 games out with the entire month of September playing the division, give it a rest with the doom and gloom crap.. were not out of it yet

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 23, 2011 -> 12:05 PM)

I love when people guarantee how a player will feel when something happens. Do you sleep next to him at night? Hell for all you know he could be absolutely thrilled.

Well if you truly believe we are still contenders for a WS title then so be it. I do not hold the same belief whatsoever.